Why humans?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Oct 17, 2005.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

whats everyones thought on humans and why were we the only ones that ever evolved to be this intelligent, howcomes every other species just hasnt ever become this self concious and generally interactive with social and personal creativeness on this earth, isnt it true that many other species have been on this earth far longer than humans, why us why so fast? i am aware of scientific standpoints on this matter but just want to hear if anyone else has other opinions about it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. duendy Registered Senior Member

put it tis way.....as things stand i am not particularly proud to BE a human. however a saving grace is thqt i realize, it isn't ALL humanity who is frantically trying to destroy--irrevesibly--the balance of Nature. it is a certina mindset which is against its v ery self. andin a roundabout way this answers your question

how come we are 'different'. i reckons its thepower of being able to ABSTRACT. so for example i can make a tool because i can picture the parts needed and where to get them, make tem etc, and iwrite tis down, and others help me etc

ting is though. ts abstractionsgot well out of hand. 'we' have abstracted feeling apart from intellectuality and now worship the latter......

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

humans evolved because, as primates, the only thing we really had to help us survive was our large brain. so we used it. we thought of things to do ahead of time instead of just doing what came to our minds at the moment. we also have hands that can manipulate things more easily than other animals, so that allowed us to realize our thoughts in the physical world. this comes after a long line of primates, and before that rodents, and so on down the evolutionary line; each one with a brain increasing in size over generations and thousands of years. the reason, in a nutshell, is because the we are the present product of a line of organisms that evolved to survive solely on more and more complex thinking; on planning ahead.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah but why do we have such a huge brain?, ive heard many stories about certain diets etc, but thats questionable. there are plenty of animals that could have evolved hige brains because of a need, why us.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I disagree that higher intelligence is limited to humans, we are just too myopic to see it. Dolphins, whales, certain birds, apes, and octopi are all intelligent. We are different from them in some ways, perhaps due to language or hallucinogens, or just dumb luck.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

And maybe we intentionally or (as evidence suggests with neanderthals) unintentionally killed off all the other close competition (debatable question, I know).
    In other cases I'd agree with spidergoat.

10. justagirl Registered Senior Member

I think dumb luck is a good answer. We have better communication skills although that's probably dumb luck too.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

That too, probably the combination of both.

12. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Natural Selection is at the same time both a dumb process and an extremely elegant. Dumb in the sense that natural selection is rooted primarily in random genetic mutations. Elegant in the sense that through advantage or neutrality of mutations, the trait spreads until it can lead towards a whole new species developing.

13. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

There had to be a first... We were it... That we know of...

14. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

those that survived, survived because they had a larger brain than most and could therefore think of how to survive better. as a result, only those with the best brains survived and the best brains tended to be the largest.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Actually that is incorrect. There is a maximum optimal brainsize limit, after that the speed of communication between various regions of the brain gets slower which results in decrease of intellect, i.e., computing capacity. Our biological brain can not get much bigger than it is now.
    That was the result of a research done by neurologists in France some years ago.
    If you wish I can find which institute/lead scientist it was.

16. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

ok, but that doesn't disprove my statement. that only proves that our brains can't get any larger than they are now, it doesn't mean that they couldnt get any larger (from a significantly smaller size) thousands of years ago. in fact, the neanderthal brain was larger in size than the modern homo sapien. thats probably why they all died out and humans lived on.

17. Satyr Banned Banned

Progress is a product of need.
    Successful species, within a specific environment, do not need to evolve if the environment remains relatively stable.

In man the right amount of weakness and the right ingredients coincided to result in a brain that could alter environmental rules and improvise surrogate tools to the ones they were lacking by nature.

Other species haven’t evolved, beyond a certain point, because they didn’t have to.

18. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

on another note quickly, all of the hommanid type species that "previously" existed in the past ie goliaths, hobbits, neanderthal etc, they say we possibly wiped them out or ate them etc haha anyways, i dont think they were wiped out i think they all still exist to a certain point, but we all crossbred with each others species, thats why we have such random genetics today like dwarfs really small people really big people etc, fat skinny blood lines you know, yeah i think the "melding" of all the hommanid species made us evolve any thoughts on that theory of mine?.

peace

19. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

I've got five dogs and I see them making decisions all the time. So watch out, chimps and gorillas aren't far behind.

20. esp Registered Senior Member

If we can use the term hyper-advanced...

justagirl wrote...
    Correct. But perhaps once one species has become lucky, once one species becomes hyper-advanced, that species, or more accurately, this species, precludes the advancement of any other, through abuse of the planet, through carnivorous harvesting and through the establishment of a 'top' of not only a phagistic chain, but also a phagistic web.

21. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

We are a lucky (to us) fluke, an unlucky fluke to other species if they had the brains to think about it.

The dinosaurs did very well for 150 or more million years without getting much (if any) more intelligent. Intelligence seems to be neither evolutionarily inevitable nor necessary for the long term survival of a species.

22. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

if our brains cant get any/much larger than they are now this means that it couldent have gotten larger beforehand so our ancestors must have had these sized brains to begin with so why were they so large for a creature quite small for the brain size?. an elephant has a large brain like we do, but an elephant is a big creature wieghing roughly 6000 kilos, compared to te average man who wieghs around 80/90 kilos.

and about human random genetics, think about this for a second, what other species has such random and diverse differances as humans do. if you look at a herd of elephants or gazell or any other species of animals they all kinda look the same, but humans do not look the same atall we have a very diverse and mutated gene system if you look at the human species all over the globe, its to diverse to be a pure gene pool we must have bred witht he other type of homanid biengs a long time ago, hobbits are still among us, retarded neanderthals are everywhere, (look at bush) goliaths are still among us, the inteligent coastal dwelling homanids are still here, the large fat types aswell (not fat from eating fat from herreditory genes), i believe we cross bed with other types of homanids and our genetics became more speratic and we evolved in strange and benificial ways, i will say more points on this later on when i have finished researching this theory of mine in more detail,

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why not ? Ever heard of coincidence ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!