Why is being nude so "wrong"?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Thoreau, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Wait, has anybody that has posted not like clothes?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KUMAR5 Valued Senior Member

Just need or culture. Nothing relevant with evolution.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Thoughts are not theories. And theories don't all carry the same weight.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

curiously
    During the Gravettian circa 25kybp (close to the lgm)all of the female figurines are nude. (it was damned cold then)

8. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Modesty as a concept has a long history in Western culture--hell, a lot of patriarchal cultures throughout history--but the US' particular fixation on modesty is a side-effect of being predominantly Protestant, like the UK. Really, we get a lot of our cultural hangups from our British heritage.

9. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Probably an effect of living in colder climates. Equatorial people don't seem to care. But once people had to cover themselves regularly for survival, nudity became more titillating. Scarcity adds value.

sculptor likes this.
  10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I think it was pretty titillating back then too.
    I think sex was not ritualized the way it is in modern humans. More like apes and chimps, where it just sortta happens.
    I can't remember if it was 2001 or Clan of the Cave Bear where some female is trying to grind some berries and a male just comes up and humps her from behind while she grinds the berries and complains.

So, what happened possibly, was that people started repurposing clothing as a way of saying "I am not in the mood. I'm trying to work here."

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  11. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

That makes it sound like clothing is the only thing that allowed people to recognize rape.

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Not at all. But it's not like there were laws and human rights back then.

Then again, it may have been the first seeds of sending the message 'you're not welcome'.

13. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

A chap from the Creation Evidence Museum said clothes were a gift from God to protect man from sin.
    And you could think if God had wanted us to run around naked we would be born that way.
    It would be great if everyone was naked maybe fat people would become more self conscientious and recover bodies that are beautiful rather than ugly.
    It like ..I am fat but who cares its hidden under my clothes.
    When in the bush I only wear clothes for protection. ...its not smart being naked whilst cooking with oil for example.
    Alex

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

He's got the cart before the horse, Genesis-wise.

Humankind was innocent. When they ate from the tree, they learned sin and then had to cover themselves in shame.

Which is what Genesis says.

Wonder if this guy has read it?

15. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Now that is a worry.

He is rapidly losing credibility in my eyes.

Alex

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I don't see anything ''wrong'' with nudity, but not everyone wants to see another person's nudity. Having said that, if you aren't harming another, then it's up to you. Americans are a bit prudish when it comes to nudity, thanks to puritan beliefs, which that path can be traced back to legalistic religious trappings.

17. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

LUST & brainwashing children about sex
    most religions brainwash children to respond to nudity as sexual narcissism

coveting the power of a strong healthy attractive body is also brainwashed into them so seeing strength in the naked form is also an affront to their Religious brainwashing of their false fragile plastic ego.

the desire to own and control women and their sexuality is also another big reason.

when you add that to the litigious victim perpetuator culture of the American cash greedy morality...
    you have people claiming to be attacked by other peoples nudity.
    this ability to claim being viciously attacked by others nudity validates slavery and racism and many other things.

18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I am tempted to post this flawed or incomplete assessment.
    "As any hardworking sex industry worker knows, it is not what you see but what you don't see that makes the difference between a happy repeat client and miserable once-off one."
    And...
    • Clothes are needed to provide a middle ground for society to swing around.
    • With out them there is nothing to take off.

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I believe in order to follow the purpose of clothing we need to follow the fashions. Each fashion is a cultural statement until more recent days.

20. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

"They were naked, and they were without shame."- The Bible

According to the good book it wasn't until Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge that they realised they were naked.

21. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Being of Finnish ancestry and growing up in in Northern Mn, I was quite used to sitting in a sauna nude with my dad and brother, uncles and cousins, or even friends of the family. Between the 5th and 6th grade we moved out west. My first year at the new school was also the year they started having you dress down for Physical Ed. I found it odd that some of my classmates seemed to be uncomfortable undressing in front of others. It was something that I saw as being no big deal.

22. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

yes this is psychological damage created by their parents
    or created by ongoing trauma created in the dressing room by lack of management while allowing bullying abuse to continue in the school.

23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I believe there is an interesting statistic which shows that sexual crimes are markedly lower in liberal societies than in morally sexually restrictive societies.

There is something about this "unattainable" object of desire, that drives men to sexual criminal activities.

Take away the forbidden novelty and it becomes socially mundane.