Why is evil usually good?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Norsefire, Jun 25, 2009.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It is still just a word denoting something wrong, not good.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. terrybrookman Registered Member

In some circles the original satanic rebellion was a unwillingness to participate in the creation of what we call life. Who or what would want to leave heaven to live in this place. We live in a house made of bones and depend on the death and rot of other things to survive here. In the animal world killing is done for survival for the most part. In the human world it is done for fun and profit beyond survival. In the Christ story he had a choice of being king of this world or dieing, he chose death if that tells you anything.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. thinking Banned Banned

but lets not put aside the strong connotations that most people have on this planet , about this word , evil , and it means more than just " not good "

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thinking Banned Banned

it doesn't tell me anything

for just because Eve to the bite of the apple of knowledge , this so called god condemns us all

first if he was a god and created Eve , he should have known how Eve would behave , apparently this god didn't

a young and immature god apparently

so no I take nothing from this " story "

8. Slysoon Registered Senior Member

Norsefire

Quite obvious. However, your very next statement -

“Individualism does not mean one cannot cooperate”

- is contradicted by your original post's understanding of individualism to be "good" even when it is at the expense of others. You made this implication by saying such extreme individualism is characterized as "evil", and that "evil" is usually "good". Individualistic civilizations have clearly existed in the past - namely in Europe - but not to the extremity you yearn for. Its members displayed high levels of altruism even under authority figures, and were very frugal and self-repressive, too (as in, very nonindulgent), especially sexually.

It is never in your best interests to harm members of your society if progress is of any importance to you as an individual. Societies can hardly progress if everybody has a different moral compass and is willing to act upon them at the expense of others provided they are in a position where they don't have to answer for their actions. Such a model for life is extremely tribal, where those with the most strength, especially in the physical sense, exert their authority over a small number of people. Hardly civilized.

Such a society has never existed throughout history excepting perhaps the most primal plateaus of mankind. Your personal vision for a society in which no obligations to others exist ignores the human's natural yearning for leadership. In addition, such a society could never formulate a workable model to sustain economic security and ensure protection fast enough to prevent dissidence and foreign siege. Your interpretation of individualism is highly idealistic, and in many ways, contradictory to your reference to individualism in the opening post.

There is a reason why all of the Prophets forbade ego, indulgence, and pride. They knew a society whose members had these qualities and characteristics were concerned only with themselves and were furthest from God, and thus, furthest from the truth.

9. Bishadi Banned Banned

a philosophical mind!

ever hear the song by Michael Jackson:

"i always feel like,

somebody's watching meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

wo-oh-o

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

the post was from a unique perspective.

welcome the jungle!

10. Bishadi Banned Banned

glaucon,

you're scaring me!

if morality is what finds you, then you should know the duty envoked

nothing i have ever said is based on anything but care and commitment to life

i am beginning to see, that perhaps you are reading but just not certain of what it is all about.

you are in 'them days'

(the unveiling is being written as you sit and these lines of articulation are what i am here for; to hammer out the questions; to test; to seek; to enable)

but like most; you just can't believe the core principles are actually above board or even possibly within a single mind

(if you haven't noticed, i am not tough on just people, i am tough on their integrity; what they do)

i read today, from another opinion that the US should attack iran, to settle the region; ('we the people' are being bamboozled into believing items that are completely untrue and to read the crap on what people think of hitler is just rude............ as in both cases, the BS is from the bias of opinions, not truth)

it is almost as bad as the settlers of america, believing the indians were the savages when in reality it is and always has been the invaders who were the monsters. (this whole continent was populated)

11. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

lol

In a good way I hope...

At best however, I would maintain that this derived 'duty' (yes, I still don't like that term..) then, is first and foremost a duty to myself.

I respect that.

Ah. See, this is where I think you and I have our greatest difference.
    I deny that there are any "core principles".

But that's an entirely different discussion....... (for EM&J methinks..)

Again sir, here I respect you, and am in complete agreement with you.

12. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Self-centredness has often been seen as evil; but it's a survival mechanism, and as long as it doesn't impact negatively on others, I don't see why it should be considered evil. Self-centred action is genetically built into our minds, I guess, because it's been such an important survival-tool for so long, before we had brains large enough to make any kind of moral judgements about 'right' and 'wrong'. We shaped our religions and societies around those twin ideas, which IMO are the pillars of behaviour in most social situations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomie

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  13. Bishadi Banned Banned

it is beginning

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................stop it..!

You are scaring the pants off of mee;

WITH ABSOLUTE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is what knowledge enables; "YOU" that inner peace of comprehending responsibility to existence!

and the funniest part is; it is what 'we' all wanted since birth! (just to comprehend and be equally capable; trusted.)

thanx glaucon!

now we have something to build upon and perhaps you can use your intellect to hammer it thru so you, we and others can see a weeee bit more. (if you can help me get over what i found true, then i can go lay by MY dish and perhaps get a life; as i seek contantly (for the either/or/maybe)

(eg....i wish to say 'thank you' for being equal... and so you and any can know, that compassion is how to buckle my knees; it rips the backbone out of my spine) (it is how to put my ego-a-gogo, in the trash)

what i mean by 'core principle' is that frame such as the 'laws of nature'

the reality is truly opposite of the 'hot will go to cold' ideology. Sure we can maintain them old ideas for a cup of coffee but when we talk about life and what life is to our children, then life is of purpose (to continue) which is perfected in math, equal across all disciplines and pure to nature, in which we can experience the common sense behind the understanding of 'life' itself.

to me, what is most important is offering the minds of the little ones (our future) to have a chance at the core understanding (principles) at the youngest age possible, that can be confirmed and performed scientifically and comprehensively.

meaning; to be able to ground the rules of "good and bad" to existence itself

them rules are truly within the math when observing the frame we live in within existence in time; the continuance of life (the wave upon the pond)

when waves combine, the total of them live longer (the energy of)

if we by choice, add bits to many waves during our time of choice; we live longer

a baby can learn these basics in a bath tub with a little rubber ducky and mom and dad, giving the lessons they learned thru their tenure.

again; the core principles are what combines the global knowledge into a single definable frame (all sciences, religions and philosophies can be combined by comprehending 'the light'............ as nutball kooky as that sounds)

no fibbing!

(you should know by now, i don't want anything from anyone; so i have no reason to do anything but 'enable' ............. everyone! Knowledge once learned is applied and lives or goes extinct; time will tell........ can we all agree on that? )

p/s..... the big ToE is the last 'word' but with the 'core principles,' every ailment in the medical field can be furthered exponentially. (the transition from "mass to energy" is not required to furnish the understanding into biology and then begin the implimentation into medical field)

but as you can see, updating folks is not an easy task without others "also" weeding thru the BS to see if the truth is really there

you know i may be whacked, i know it too; but since not a professor, person, place or thing, can share how i screwed up (3 decades ago), and the math, comprehension and 'principles' to this day, still apply;

then i am either completely whacked or OH SHIT! (i dun bumped into the big one and OH ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.....................k)

glaucon........... if what i do is wrong....... then have pity!

otherwise, if i can give one kid a chance we didn't have and you can help; then perhaps we both live and can give a little more then yesterday.

again; if what we doing is wrong, time will tell; agreed? (i say time is a part of 'existence' (the boss)............ if 'good' lives longer and 'bad' fades............ then i will do what i find good, until i perish and let existence share what is fact in HER time!)

yep!

whacked!

14. I Push Wood Dreadlocked Skateboard Fanatic Registered Senior Member

If "evil" things are usually good, then are "good" things usually evil? Because I can't see how helping a child who has fallen off his bicycle could be evil...

15. birch Valued Senior Member

lol, if you can survive on your own and not at anyone else's expense, then your idea of evil as good is fine.

in the real world, someone else's needs are just as important as yours. if you try to take advantage or are so blind to not consider another or the consequences of your actions to others then you will bear the fruits of that backlash or opposition. duh

and i don't agree that there is no such thing as evil. intent is very different from total perfection yet is important to make the situation as best as possible. those who work toward alleviating or improving are not in the same category of those who just don't care because they just can and don't have to.

16. birch Valued Senior Member

he's full of it. if he actually thought what is 'evil' or 'harmful' is good, then he'd go drink bleach or willingly take it up the bum in prison. i'm sure he's into self-preservation for a reason and that is because he's a living and feeling being.

everyone knows that "evil' is a label for harm which is real. people like to use the excuse there is no such thing as 'evil' to obfuscate or distract from cause and effect as well as alleviating themselves of any responsibility for intent, motivation or actions. this is done by citing the randomness of existence and sometimes outcome. what they don't admit is it doesn't excuse the motivation or intent in the first place. it's like saying i'm not evil or had any intent to harm someone i intended to kill because they weren't at their apartment when i assumed they were so i was foiled by circumstance or the animal i tortured was saved by spca and adopted to a good family so 'evil' or 'harm' is good. a very disgusting copout and it's technically erroneous logic anyways.

someone who has an intent to commit an act that they know will harm is in effect evil when it is not done in defense. it's as simple as that. does this exist? yes. is it prevalent? yes. does this make it not "evil?" no. there are more stupid people than intelligent ones, does this mean the prevalence of the majority means it is more correct? no.

his value system is not original nor is it rare. his philosphy is actually common. many people follow rules and laws simply out of fear of retribution or punishment. they see this as an unnecessary and imaginative obstacle that they should not have to abide by without realizing or ignoring that it takes the cooperation and work of other living beings to create the life they want to live as well.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

18. Sardaukar Registered Senior Member

If I enjoy the occasional cigar from my villa, even though harmful to my well being, of course! I must denote it as evil, because evil is simply "bad" how condescending to connote it as such. Evil stems from the conscious decision of inflicting "bad" feats towards another, and let me aggrandize "conscious".

19. swarm Registered Senior Member

I would say if you are doing it towards yourself it is not "evil," though it is definately bad for you.

If you do it towards another, then you are more in the evil side of things, but even then I'm not one to credit evil for what can be explaned by stupidity or insanity.

20. swarm Registered Senior Member

So you are saying that you find xtian dogmatic definitions of evil to be actually good? Because if I observe what has been seen throughout the ages as "evil," for the most part its pretty evil.

Murder, betrayal, torture, rape, destruction, enslavement, tyrrany..nope still coming up pretty bad.

I think that you are doing some pretty heavy cherry picking there.

21. Bishadi Banned Banned

while reality shares; all are equal

and stupid suggest they are not responsible; (just born that way)

as if each do not cause their own actions..............

the ignorant claims it is all someone elses fault

the good, know they are their own choice makers

good and evil are measured by what you do, not what people say is good

the 'good' lives longer, the 'bad' fades to extinction (in time)

that is how to see the reality; how existence measures 'good and bad'

22. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

There's a lot of evil in this world and there's nothing good about it.

23. Bishadi Banned Banned

without choice, knowledge could not evolve

in a sense by looking at the total (oh femal messiah), the balance is just

and when the 'fire' (nuclear war) claims the lands; the cleansing invokes that judgment; (the people do the yob)

the old of curruption and preachers holding a charms ranting on repentance; will be destroyed without a blink of an eye; the people are going to be pissed

them on the high horses within the cities cannot survive; without the man of the streets teaching them how. (last to first, first to last)

eg.... imagine Chicago, without full grocery stores (ouch; that will be beyond ugly)