Why is God important?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Beer w/Straw, Apr 28, 2020.

1. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

That's a very caricatured version of what early humans did.

Why do you think we started burying our dead? Or painting the walls of caves? Or bothered to try communicating with each other?
    Of course it carries on today, it's been carrying on since it got started; it strongly suggests that even modern "educated" humans who understand science still need myths to live by. You might not agree, but you're promoting one here in this thread.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The only thing I'm promoting is the fact that those propagating their myths as fact, are lying about it, and denying scientific fact at the same time, like evolution.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yep, certainly, the finality of death is actually unbearable for some....even some modern educated humans.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Ok. But do you think we started burying our dead so that people could eventually start propagating myths, and denying science? Was that the most significant outcome of the earlier changes in our thinking?

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Not sure what you are trying to say, but wouldn't the main aspect of burying the dead have to be because of the onset of decay?
    They [early man] still had the universe and life to explain. Hence the necessity of myth and imagination.

9. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Well, for millions of years, early humans didn't bury their dead. So the onset of decay might not have been a motivating reason, but some other thing might have been.
    Maybe living in caves was a motivation, but we didn't start doing that until quite recently, anthropologically speaking, and maybe the two things are connected.

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

You deny scientific facts to propagate magical nonsense like life coming from non life, where we can see life only come from life, originated by an everlasting God.
    You lie about the idea that the universe created itself.
    You lie about people denying evolution, because they don’t accept darwinism, the atheist magical solution.

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Glory be!!!! Halleluja, I'm saved

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sure I did! Whatever floats your boat Preacher man!

Wow! Things are getting hot around here!

PS: Don't worry too much Jan I rarely report posts, even those like yours with continued lies.

Take it easy

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Jan is forced to make this claim even though there is no way he could possibly know it be true. If he doesn't make the claim, then he's left trying to explain where God came from and how God came to be alive. Then, he has the gall to accuse the science of being magical nonsense.

13. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I don’t accuse science of being magical nonsense, just abiogenesis, and the basic tenet of darwinism. You know, the highly controversial, idea that dog/hippo type creatures evolve into whales, rapidly. Stuff like that.

But no, I am not forced to make that claim. I make it because it is obvious. The only reason to even infer abiogenesis is so that you don’t have to infer God, because you deny and reject God. So now we’re going to go down that road.
    What a waste.
    You, on the other hand are forced to accept anything that suits your worldview.

There is no need for a theist to meet God, or know where God personally resides. because that is not the point of theism.
    We all can know God is, because of the beautifully, complex arrangement of the world.
    Unless you deny and reject.
    Science came about to explain God’s creation, and marvel at His splendid mind, and handy work.
    That’s what you see when you see the working people f a cell, right up to the workings of nature.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Yes, that would be science you're calling magical nonsense. It's interesting that can't even distinguish one field of science from another.

Oh yes, I have to keep remembering that any science you fear that jeopardizes your belief system is obviously magical nonsense. I'm sure if gravity threatened your beliefs, you'd call that magical nonsense, too.

No, it's not obvious.

Exactly my point, you fear, deny and reject any field of science that threatens your belief system. What a waste.

Lol. That's hilarious. Somehow, scientific facts that I was never aware suddenly all perfectly align with my worldview. Good one there, Jan.

Exactly, the point of theism is trusting faith and not evidence. In fact, the definition (of which you love definitions) of faith is: strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Sorry, I see no complex arrangement of the world, I see everything slapped together willy-nilly with no rhyme or reason to anything.

Lol.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  15. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

That is a curious statement which I find difficult to reconcile with the make believe notion of your soul going to join god in an after life...prior to your statement I would have thought that the whole point of theist belief was to meet god in the after life.
    Alex

16. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

That is a curious statement which I find difficult to reconcile with the make believe notion of your soul going to join god in an after life...prior to your statement I would have thought that the whole point of theist belief was to meet god in the after life.
    Alex

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Rapidly??? Another ball face lie Jan? Or just the usual plain as day ignorance?
    examples of rapid evolution.....
    The lizard with extra sticky feet. ...
    The shrimp that lost its eyes. ...
    The owls that are changing color. ...
    The fish that's migrating earlier. ...
    The bedbugs with super-strength. ...
    The mouse that's immune to poison.
    from Wiki....
    And of course again you miss the point in what you class as magical, naming the scientific disciplines of Darwinism and Abiogenesis, and ignoring your magical spaghetti monster.
    Your belief and belief systems are in tatters Jan, and you on your lonesome have contributed to that 100% due to your nonsensical approach, your redefining of words, and your dishonesty.
    of course you are forced to make that claim/s, under threat of damning hell fire!
    Actually, the only reason to infer god, is to alleviate the deep seated fear you and other gullible fools have with regards to the finality of death.
    Scientific facts are scientific facts, rather then your own world view, based on some ancient book of obscurity, and mythical god/s or whatever.
    A complex arrangement that is adequately and factually explained by science, rather then inventing some fool supernatural nonsense.
    I reject all supernatural and paranormal nonsense as unscientific crap, with no evidence.
    Science came about to explain the wonders of the universe and life via the scientific methodology, rather then childish mythical unevidenced supernatural nonsense.

18. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

And that explains why stone age people in Britain spent all that time and effort, building what is obviously an early astronomical observatory. Since, that's actually what it is.
    And, it's believed to be an early place of worship, which if course has nothing to do with observations of the sun's rising or setting.
    Actually, that's something of a myth. Science explains why we can build tools, for instance it's why fire became useful instead of scary. That is, we developed an early science of fire-making and control.

For example . . .

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

A list of my favourite quotes re science......
    "Science is organized knowledge".
    Herbert Spencer (1820-1903) English philosopher.

"Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition".
    Adam Smith (1723-90) Scottish economist. The Wealth of Nations, 1776.

"Science is what you know. Philosophy is what you don't know".
    Bertrand Russell (1872-1970) English philosopher, mathematician.
    Science is] the labor and handicraft of the mind.
    Francis Bacon (1561-1626) English essayist, philosopher, statesman.
    "[Science is] a great game. It is inspiring and refreshing. The playing field is the universe itself."
    Isidor Isaac Rabi (1898-1988) U. S. physicist. Nobel prize 1944.

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

One more quote especially for Jan...................

"There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance".
    Hippocrates
    Let's make that two more for Jan that obviously applies to his situation.....

"Shall I refuse my dinner because I do not fully understand the process of digestion"?
    Oliver Heaviside (1850-1925) English physicist.

21. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Yes! Rapidly!
    5 million years is a very short space of time, for the doggy to turn into a whale.
    My belief has you complaining to mods, and getting me banned in trumped up charges.
    My belief rules, which is why you are fearful to discuss it in any meaningful way.
    My belief has you pretending you don’t understand what God is, despite your worldview.
    My belief has you scampering around for tidbits of pointless information to try and give your worldview some level of credence, albeit pathetically superficial, and of insignificant relevance to any discussion we have attempted so far.
    My belief is where real inquiry starts.
    And you accuse me of lying?
    So anyone who fears death is a fool?
    Only an idiot would think that.
    Exactly! Everything has to fit the darwinist paradigm. That is not science.
    If I held out my hand, and an apple suddenly appeared in it, in front of your eyes. What would you think?
    You’re not interested in science, only your worldview. You foolishly think “Science” backs it up. But you’re wrong.

22. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Alex, what is the definition of “theist” with regard to God?

23. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I don't know..what is the definition of theist with regard to god?

Alex