Why is life worth living?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by s0meguy, Feb 2, 2009.

1. swarm Registered Senior Member

Don't worry, the after glow will carry you through.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. swarm Registered Senior Member

Manic depressive is mainly an organic brain dysfunction which unfortunately is very difficult to treat and often ends in suicide.

Plain old depression is a symptom cluster as opposed to a specific thing. Some of it is organic, some functional, some environmental, some dietary, some lifestyle. These also tend to interact to a degree so tweaking one factor can influence the others.

At the moment they mainly treat the organic side with drugs and the functional side with therapy, but some of the others get a nod now and then like light therapy for SAD (seasonal affective disorder).

The basic run down is if you live a healthy life style you are far, far less likely to get depressed. So eat right with good sources of tryptophan if you are lacking in it (dairy and turkey); exercise; get human touch and have healthy relationships; avoid drugs most especially booze and tobacco; get out in the sunshine; get plenty of rest; connect with your social group; have things of interest in your life; avoid commercial news and TV.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Always good advice to anyone everywhere if it is possible even if you aren't a depressive person. The problem is that even with all of your suggestions , which I follow as best I can, I as well as many others will still be depressed because of our chemical imbalances within our bodies in many instances. Without certain drugs that can help those who are afflicted , they would be in much worse condition than they are before they took those drugs.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Escaped Goat Registered User and Abuser Registered Senior Member

Lots of happy (non-depressed) people still drink, smoke, are lazy, like being indoors, don't have many friends, enjoy television shows, etc. More than lots. Are you seriously suggesting that doing (or not doing) each of these things will make most people happier? If so, I disagree.

EDIT: Further, I know lots of people who would be unhappier if they couldn't be as lazy as they are now, couldn't catch a few shows or sports games on television, had to go outside for a certain amount of time each day, couldn't ever have a drink, etc. Just because you like these things doesn't mean most people will generally become happier if they incorporate them into their lives.

8. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

It is common for us to generalize our own conceptualization of life and project it onto others. I think swarm is succumbing to this tendency.

There might be a little of the Naturalistic Fallacy going on there as well. Worship of the moon-goddess and mother Earth. It is the new religion, if you didn't know.

Anecdotal, but yesterday I went out and cleaned the gutters and spent the day working in the yard. It sucked. Today I am going to play Fallout 3 and I bet I will wish I could do it for 12 hours straight. Go figure.

9. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

I'd say swarm's comments are good suggestions if you are depressed and need a change. But yeah...there are happy lazy drunk recluses for sure.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"Anecdotal, but yesterday I went out and cleaned the gutters and spent the day working in the yard. It sucked. Today I am going to play Fallout 3 and I bet I will wish I could do it for 12 hours straight. Go figure."
    Right with you there!

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

After glow ? You mean you'll die from reaching critical mass ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Escaped Goat Registered User and Abuser Registered Senior Member

Maybe one of the keys (if you're depressed) is just to try change, whether that means going from hanging out with tons of people to spending more time alone (or vice versa), relaxing more or working harder, etc. I would think each person's "treatment" would usually be relatively specific, rather than "if you're depressed just go outside more and take in the beauty and you'll feel better." I love being outside (occasionally), but to generally apply this as a solution to those who are depressed makes no sense to me.

No doubt! That's a great game. I've been playing the Halo Wars demo the past few nights and am not sure how I feel about it...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  12. justwonderingjoe Gosh,the weather is nice today Registered Senior Member

I'm glad your here, with the living. I get a lot of satisfaction when I feel I have HELPED others. That's the reason why I'm still alive. I was 46 yrs old when my spouse passed away 2 1/2 years ago. It was within my possibility to end it all, during those first few months, but I didn't.
    I still have fleeting moments, feeling lonely and depressed. But I keep on keeping on!
    Just responding to your post helped me today!

13. Tero Registered Member

As to the opening post, you have too much time on your hands. Get back to work.

14. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Simple and plain, you have nothing to lose.