Why isn't faith embarrasing?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by superluminal, Dec 30, 2007.

1. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Given the common definition of faith, i.e. belief without the requirement for proof or evidence, why wouldn't anyone with even a rudimentary sense of intellectual integrity be ashamed to call themselves a "person of faith"?

Is it an ingrained fear of not belonging to the group?

Is it an actual hedging of bets against a possible hell?

Is it simply intellectual lazyness?

Look at the definition. Apply it to any other part of your practical life. Say your stock investments, or whether or not you'll buy that used car, or any number of other instances where you would or would not willingly shutdown your intellect and just hope for the best.

Discuss.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

For the same reason that seeking a purpose in life isn't

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I completely agree.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

And what reason is that?

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

When I ask my Mom for proof she says "look around you. Everything on this planet is proof of God's existence and his love....blah blah blah"

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Sorry for your loss. My mom was the same way. Thanks dad!

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ask yourself; not everyone has the same reasons for needing to seek knowledge.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So apparently you chose one form of belief (from dad) over another (from mom). And this somehow makes it better?

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Answer my question.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I seek purpose in my life because it is my belief that everything in the universe has a purpose. That nothing is random or baseless. That if ye seek, ye will find.

I doubt its the same as yours.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

It doesn't bother me. She's happy. If her beliefs give her comfort, why would I try and ruin that for her. :shrug:
    ignorance is bliss, right?

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

You believe it, even without evidence, it's your belief

And to the religious, they DO have evidence: existence, the Earth, water, etc

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

can one hold an axiomatic truth while being bereft of faith (as per your definition "belief without the requirement for proof or evidence")?

17. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I believe that embarassment comes from one's expectation and fear of being judged negatively. In this world, most people are religious, and openly affirm their faith, so do so oneself tends to not be embarassing.

If one hung out with a peer group that regularly ridculued religiosity, and secretly harbored religious belief oneself, then I could see being embarrassed to admit that.

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

In the West religion is very minor I would say

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You'll find that in some science circles. However, I can hold my own against anyone. Try me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Kadark Banned Banned

Are the scientists you work with atheists? Do you ever get into quarrels with them over faith and whatnot?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm sure some of them must be. No one has ever asked me about religion though. They only concern themselves with my work.

The only atheist I have discussed religion with is my closest friend.

And we discuss our beliefs in a friendly way, without judgement or a desire to influence or change.

But I have heard of theistic scientists who feel embarrassed about declaring themselves.

I can honestly say that the only rancor I have got from atheists is on this forum, and the only racism and anti-Muslim sentiment I have encountered has been in the United States.

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Frankly, I would think the answers obvious:

• Indoctrination
    • Safety in numbers​

For instance, why isn't the idea of talking to an invisible, all-powerful, all-seeing being who will grant your wishes if you praise it enough considered delusional? Because billions of people do this, and mass hysteria, at that degree, becomes for most a viable assertion of reality. If enough people are deluded, the delusion will be called reality. It works with any idea, really. Look at patriotism for a non-theistic comparison.

23. Kadark Banned Banned

Oh, I see. I just got the indication that you have discussed such matters with scientists who were atheists from your earlier post.

I hope you're not one of them.