Why Macs Suck BALLS

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by amark317, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

wait.. river-wind...did you say there was a new Amiga dos? Wow! I used to have an Amiga 1000 and 3000, and I loved Amiga dos, it was so ahead of it's time.

Are they producing Amigas again?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river-wind Valued Senior Member

AmigaOS 4.1 was released earlier this year, and currently runs on PPC hardware (the boards are not currently for sale, due to a contract dispute between Amiga Inc and the company they hired to build the updated OS)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOS

http://www.amiga.com/

It's a modernization of the old OS; still with severe limitations, but a fun system for playing around with something different.

Ars has been keeping tabs on the development for a while:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/amigaos41-ars.ars

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Agreed.

A Windows network user can be granted the permission "Change"...rename falls under this scope.

Interesting take on this: Cross statement

Quite true...although ironically, the Xbox is a Linux based appliance, go fig.

As I pointed out before...

Also true.

Sorry. Linux fails more than just familiarity. Support strategy sucks (forums et al), OS error messages are too technical for the average user, very little hardware support (likely stemming from the disjoint development of the various distros).

'Multi-month uptime' is common in a Windows environment - despite the Open Source naysayings.

I prefer Windows solutions over Linux/OSX any day, however, if a Linux application provides a better end result, bet on it that I'll implement a Linux server with the application. I have yet to see anything server wise that Windows cannot do on par or better than OSX.

Note that I currently only consider Linux for specialized server uses.

Indeed. And this is a point I was trying to get across to another poster. Why would you want 20 different OS options?...it becomes excessively expensive to support the same hardware twenty times. Those lovely Dell prices we're seeing? Gone if Windows became open source.

I hope you're not implying that the OSX server is more stable? I've supported 40 Windows servers in the last 5 years or so (counting only internal to my employer...so yes, there are more servers). Not one of them were brought down by any serious Windows errors. The only server problems I've encountered were hardware related.

And here is the crux of the matter. You see that emboldened phrase? This is another point I was trying to get across. SW uses Linux because it suits his applications. Same reason I use Windows. Same reason you use OSX.

Merely because an Open Source OS or OSX solution is best in one's own environment, does not mean that the Windows witchhunt that some people attempt to start is anywhere near justifiable.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Agreed. Though I will emphatically stand by the assertion that Windows is inherently less stable than UNIX OS's, for a variety of reasons.

The two examples I used to give were:
    1) everyday users running as Admin
    2) drivers running in the kernel space.

Vista removed issue number 1 (though the solution, UAC, needs its own fixing), and issue #2 has been partially addressed by depreciating certain driver behaviors (which helps for new driver development), but it is not solved as of today.

As for UAC's issues, much of the "nagging" is indeed not due to UAC-specific problems, but from badly written software triggering perfectly functional UAC behavior. Software written poorly due to lax guidelines put forth by MS over the years combined with a poor design for handling both software settings and inter-software communication across a multi-user system.

Had MS, back when it was building Windows NT, removed the registry, re-built the shared library system to allow for versioning, forced developers to use a standard method of storing settings and application helper libraries, started installing optional MS components by default and remove the need for dev's to install (often incompatible) copies of those tools themselves - all wrapped together with a well written document explaining best practices for dealing with the new procedures, these issues wouldn't exist today. And it's not like it would have been impossibly difficult to do. Most of the issues at hand had already been solved by the mainframe and UNIX communities.

Yes, the current problems are the dev's fault. And the dev's are at fault today because MS let them run wild for the past 15 years.

For god's sake, why do Windows developers still use Yes/No dialog boxes instead of more descriptive ones? The better dialog boxes are simply an overloaded function call away!!!

Inertia. MS provided them with a crap option that only had Yes/No options 20 years ago, and left that crap option as the default for the sake of backwards compatibility. So today, new coders writing new code are still creating dialog boxes that explain what will happen when Yes or Ok is clicked. They should be "Save/Don't Save" boxes, "Launch/Don't Launch", "Save and Close/Close Without Saving/Don't Close" boxes.

But they aren't. And that's MS's fault.

Given that xbox and xbox 360 use DirectX, I seriously doubt this. The XNA dev environment is built for windows and xbox development, and has all the hallmarks of a windows-based dev system. The original xbox most certainly ran a Win2k mutant, and from what I understand the xbox 360 runs a upgraded PPC port of that mutant.

I could be wrong, and MS wrote their own linux DirectX transformer, leaned on cedega or mono, or something else. I haven't seen anything to suggest it, but I don't program xbox titles.

edit: The corp VP of the xbox division suggests the former:
    "What can you tell us about the Xbox 360 OS? Is it something more alike to WindowsCE, or to a Windows 2000, XP kernel? Have you incorporated any of the technologies that will debut with the next-generation Windows, codenamed Longhorn, such as the Avalon user interface (UI) technology?

Todd Holmdahl: The best way to think about the Xbox 360 OS is that it is an extension of the Xbox 1.0 OS [which was a stripped-down Win2k mutant - RW]. This approach, combined with XNA, enables seamless transition for developers from both the Xbox 1.0 environment or the Windows environment. The Xbox 360 OS is integrated closely with the services and hardware to deliver a complete platform that allows game developers to realize their visions for next generation games. "
    http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/1190/Xbox-360-Interview-Todd-Holmdahl/p1/

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  8. ~Antonio Registered Member

Macs don't suck. Tools who make blanket 'suck' statements about things they clearly don't understand or have much experience with suck.

9. ~Antonio Registered Member

There's a version of AmigaOS for the Mac Mini... should work on the iBooks and PowerBooks of the same generation, too, considering they share chipsets... and just about everything else, come to think of it.

Rumor has it MorphOS may release a version for the Mini, as well, considering they're no longer offering the Pegasos.

Side note: Apparently, you can't even post links in a post you're quoting, unless you yourself have posted 20 times. Who's ridiculous idea was that?

10. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

It's to prevent SPAM, you also can't post images.

11. ~Antonio Registered Member

Would half as many not be enough to know my intentions? Twenty seems a bit much. Well, maybe not at this rate...

12. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Whatever number were chosen you could make the arguments that it's too many or too few, twenty is just a nice round number so its as good as any other and, as you say, it really doesn't take that long to get to 20 posts.
    Some people post more than that per day.

13. river-wind Valued Senior Member

nice bit of info there - I didn't know someone hacked it to work on the PPC macs...thanks ~Antonio!

14. ~Antonio Registered Member

IIRC, the Mac Mini build is internal, due in part to the fact Amiga is having a hard time finding a steady hardware producer, what with Eyetech no longer able to produce machines due to supply issues.

The Mac Mini build of Amiga OS is out there, and I think can be obtained pretty easily via bittorent, -don't quote me on that, as I haven't tried actually downloading it (though I do have an old G4 Mini not doing much...) but I've seen it floating around.

As for MorphOS, it's the same reasoning. Genesi is no longer producing desktop workstations for the same reason Amiga is having issues -supply.

The difference, I guess, is that you can more easily and legitimately acquire the MorphOS and tinker with all your Amiga software goodies, and PPC Mac Minis are dirt cheap. I have one, a 1.25Ghz model I bought bundled with a 1.33Ghz iBook G4. I paid $400 for both. Not too shabby.

Of course, they're minced meat, performance-wise, when next to my C2D MacBook Pro, but they sure make great toys

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. notamerican Registered Member

I'm not saying either one is better than the other, because first off, you can just pick up a USB mouse for a mac. Second, you can run windows on a mac. So, you can run any game you want. Third.. It is proven that vista works better on a mac than a PC.

Forth, customization is there.. You don't have to get the macs with the hard drive built into the monitor. I just find it much more convenient. I have had one for a while and am very happy. 21 Inch monitor. So yes, you can get fair size still. OH, if you don't belive me about vista running better on a mac than a pc.. Google it. I can't post a link, as I don't have enough posts.

16. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

When I google "vista runs better on a mac" I get a bunch of links that are saying that Vista out-performs OS X on Macintosh hardware. That's not saying much for Mac.

Of course, Vista and Mac are both viruses easily wiped by a quick Linux install.

17. Rick Valued Senior Member

Linux is nothing. It never will be anything PERIOD.

18. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Wow. Well "nothing" has been responsible for every writing project I've done in the last year. "Nothing" gets me on the internet, downloads my podcasts, shows the movies captured on my Sony and edits the photos.

I just installed "nothing" along with a ton of educational software on my 7-year old's new computer as an Xmas present.

Perhaps your definition of "nothing" is somewhat different than a 7-year olds?

19. Rick Valued Senior Member

I use Red hat Enterprise Linux for my work too (Java programming). But I enjoy working more on Mac OS X than linux; Its the ease of use that makes OS X more lucrative to me, plus lots of things are already pre-configured in a mac for Java people. (things like maven, java sdk, JBOSS, JETTY etc) ... so i just install eclipse and have fun ...

Rick

20. Rick Valued Senior Member

I meant from a home pc marketing perspective; I understand that Linux is a useful OS. I just think its like Ruby (Please don't kill me all you Ruby maniacs out there, I have worked on Ruby before), it will never go mainstream (unless theres an overnight revolution with companies like IBM taking initiative on it, or Google maybe); but its still a kick-ass language.

Just some thoughts, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything

Merry christmas to u.
    Rick

21. John99 Banned Banned

hmmm. i dont know about that but OS X is a real cool OS compared to Vista that looks like it was pieced together and is downright weird, if not bizarre, when you first use it.

come to think of it i would rather use Win2K if it could make use of new hardware better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.