Why Monogamy Is Ridiculous

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by KilljoyKlown, Jun 24, 2011.

1. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Physically, emotionally and intellectually, as individuals we develop at different rates, and this becomes very apparent when we begin to seek a lasting relationship. Disparity between these three sets of attributes creates
    many of the challenges in relationships.

Much attention is given to physical and emotional intimacy, yet because the intellect has the ability to govern both the physical and emotional sides of our nature, I suggest that relationships have a greater chance of succeeding over the long haul if the partners are more closely matched in intellect. Intellect grants the ability to not state hurtful words when one is feeling beset by emotion or physical urgency.

Words are incredibly powerful. The word once spoken or written has a life of it's own........energy that can either aid or injure.

My strongest skill set is communication......people and animals generally understand me quite well.

The greatest misconception most have about me is that I am an extrovert, as I project friendliness and helpfulness, and will assume leadership in a crisis.

People exhaust me. I am an introvert, with developed protective coloration.

For that reason, I quite like working graveyard shift. A small crew of introverted guys and we each work pretty much on our own reconnaissance, exchanging information on a 'need to know' basis.

Forums are not tiring, as I can read in stealth mode and drop posts in on a 'hit and run' basis, as time and energy permit.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I have no idea what other women utilize as criteria, but I'm rather partial to a gentlemen who can give me a good run in a game of chess.

For those of you who may not consider chess 'sexy', you might want to check out what this lady has to say.....

http://www.chesscorner.com/tutorial/newcomers/whychess.htm

Looks back over her shoulder......that likely killed this thread, lol....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Gee, so far the main thing that's created problems in my relationship is communication styles, my brain cooties, and money.

Money's probably the most universal. Communication is likely a close second. I'm not used to someone who's literal.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Chess Game No. 12: Superman Attack Against the Sicilian Defense

It's amazing what you can find on YouTube.

8. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

9. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Well, that's me convinced.

10. Hellenologophobia Registered Senior Member

Are you saying that you prefer a competitive relationship, rather than a supportive one? I’ve never thought chess to be sexy, but it does teach you to be cautious, and to not be in a hurry to do something you can’t undo.

So you love people but you need time to reflect. You’re a deep thinker. I find that people have a tendency to twist us into this image that satisfies their needs or insecurities. Rarely, do you find someone that you can trust with your insecurities or who wants to explore your needs.

In regards to the OP, and to intellectual intimacy, I think that it’s natural for people to crave different perspectives. Gaining knowledge has its advantages. New relationships are exciting. It’s like reading a new book. Oftentimes, you discover that the tittles or covers don’t match the content. Occasionally, you find one hit wonders, or a masterpiece, but even those stories end. You have to keep writing, or it can deplete the relationship of any additional resources, and the initial excitement turns into a wearisome task. My story is never ending.

11. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I'm talking about the game of chess and what I find interesting about it.

Chess is a visual, spacial game of strategy which has many potential moves.

The manner in which the game is approached, even by a novice player, reveals a considerable amount in regard to how their mind processes information.

Somewhere between competitive and supportive, their lies a position known as co-operative.

You can play chess with people though you cannot speak a word of their language.

12. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

To make your point I'm not sure Fisher knows any Russian. But I would be interested in how you would characterize Fisher's approach to the following:

World Chess Championship : 1972 Fischer - Spassky

13. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

That was a very interesting writeup, KJ.

I am but a neophyte to chess in comparison to the Grandmasters named, so it is not for me to comment on their games, save to observe that the impression I get from the writeup and from some reading about Bobby Fischer is that he seems to fit the classic description of an extreme introvert.

The psychology used in the staging and playing of the games is very interesting, given the economics and politics of the era.

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I remember that tournament very well, I followed every game. It was like the only time the U.S. had ever played at that level and Bobby Fisher did his part to make it very news worthy. I'm sure it helped put Spassky's game off a bit. I believe Fisher's eccentric antics were a part of his strategy to win. But it's hard to tell because he really was a bit crazy (extreme introvert+) and he didn't divulge his complete strategy to the media. He basically faded out of the public view about as quickly as anybody of his notoriety ever has.

15. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

The three great games that that I think everyone should learn to make it through life are chess, go and poker.

Chess teaches you about games of attrition and games with fixed objectives.

Go is a game about the in which a point-value is what matters, which focuses on the domination of territory in which you can hardly ever rest on your existing advantages because reversals are so easy to come by.

Poker is about not just recognizing the strength of your hand, but reading your opponent and judging/intuiting the unknown strength of his. Poker adds the element of not knowing everything about the playing field while the game is being played (and ofttimes never learning exactly who held which cards).

16. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

There's some pretty interesting details about him on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_fischer

17. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I have no experience of the game of 'GO' so I suppose I should do some on-line research. I enjoy on-line chess for recreation and have played a bit of poker with my brothers when we were at high school.

Two out of Three Ain't Bad.....

Also a song by Meat Loaf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78aMSrwtoMg

18. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

You surprise me, not many people in the U.S. know about GO. I still have a GO board and stones. Don't play much as it takes to long to play a game for most peoples taste. Can't get many takers so it mostly never gets played. Very interesting in that it has very simple rules but extremely complex strategies. It is the national game of Japan and generally takes 25 to 30 years of study and play to become a GO grandmaster.

As for poker, many people call it gambling, but it is not gambling for anyone that knows what they are doing, it is really money management, and you know what they say if you can't spot the sucker?

19. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I was told Shun-ji (correct spelling?) is the Chinese version of GO... and is more complicated.
    I would actually like to get a game set and play either...

20. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(board_game)

Includes a picture of the game and a link to the rules. The games averages between 2 and 3 hours per game and is the main reason it's not to popular in the states. But if you have someone you like to spend a lot of time with that likes to play board games, go for it.

21. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

http://www.gokgs.com/

Just found this site. You can learn and play online with people all over the world.

22. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

Maybe there should be a slightly higher ratio of males to females in a nation so that women get taken good care of.

23. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

I can't stomach the idea of my girlfriend having sex with another man, and I don't feel the need to have sex with anyone else myself.