Why no signatures?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by chris4355, Jun 6, 2009.

1. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

I've noticed in many other forums people can have a paragraph of signatures under what people they in each of their post.

I think it'll be kinda cool if sci forums had that.

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I was just looking over the UserCP and profile options trying to find how to add a signature too.

This is from the FAQ but I'm guessing you found it already:

http://www.sciforums.com/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=signatures&match=all&titlesonly=0

After you have registered, you may set your signature. This is a piece of text that you would like to be inserted at the end of all your posts, a little like having headed note paper.

If the administrator has enabled signatures, then you will have the option to include your signature on any posts you make. If you have specified a signature, then the forum will automatically append your signature to any messages you post. You can disable signatures on a per-post basis by un-ticking the 'Show Signature' checkbox when you compose your message.

You may turn the signature on and off on posts you have already made by editing the post and altering the state of the 'Show Signature' option.

You can set your signature by editing your profile.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

oh cool, well thanks.

I just assumed it wasnt there because no one did it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

One word: clutter.

8. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

It only lets you set up a Custom User Title that appears below your avatar. I don't see where you can enter a signature which means the administrator has not enabled that feature.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

We haven't had signatures here at Sciforums since about 2003. The main reason as Absane mentioned is "Clutter". If you look at the threads that are posted here and were to read through the posts one by one, it's far easier to do so without signatures. The addition of signatures increases the overall page size, the page load time and of course the overall server load. That was the main reason they were removed back in the day.

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

i'm glad you cleared that up, i was beginning to wonder if i was suffering a memory lapse.
    i'll agree. the posts themselves can be interesting enough.
    the thingy (snotwuh?) under your screen name could use about 10 or so extra characters.

11. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I agree with the "clutter" comment. When signatures are enabled, if you get one person posting repeatedly, it gets boring real fast seeing their signature after every post. The feature can be deactivate for individual posts but no one seems to ever deactivate it.

12. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The will to be 'cool'...is strangling us all!

13. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

fair enough. i understand especially since some threads in this forum blow up at exponential rates sometimes.

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Keep no signatures. It looks much cleaner.

15. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I don't think signatures are a big deal one way or the other. It's kinda cool to be able to put your favorite quote at the end of every post, but it sucks when people put 14 different quotes and/or a big ass picture that clutters everything up.

If signatures were allowed, I'd probably put one. But not having signatures doesn't diminish my experience at SciForums one bit.