Why Perpetuate the Human Species?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Silicon Intelligence, Jan 23, 2005.

1. steponit Registered Senior Member

The value and purpose of the universe does not make sense unless you believe in God. Philosophers and sharmans tell us that the human composition requires a belief of any constitution, or else total despair about our future.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. steponit Registered Senior Member

The value and purpose of the universe does not make sense unless you believe in God. Philosophers and sharmans tell us that the human composition requires a belief of any constitution, or else total despair about our future.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fadeaway humper that way lies madness Registered Senior Member

I'll gladly take total despair over God, thank you very much.

(Total despair involves an eternal supply of beer, doesn't it?)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Why Perpetuate the Human Species?
    Because he have nothing better to do on friday nights.

8. TheHeretic Registered Senior Member

Because we evolved so that reproduction feels good

9. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

So that there will always be somebody to appreciate chocolate.

Or, so that God won't get lonely.

Or, because we can.

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I favour the explanation involving chocolate. Are you of the school that believes the current rate of expansion of the Universe, and the peculiarities of galactic orbits,, can only be explained if somewhere out there, there are massive quantities of dark chocolate?

11. duendy Registered Senior Member

we already ARe kid, precisly getting all cught up in the psuedo belief in 'strong [MALE' brains'

12. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Absolutely.

Dark matter, Milky way, Black Hole, come on, clearly it is all about chocolate.

I just sit and contemplate a chocolate quark and then I know that I am on the right track.

I think the expansion of space relates to how fast the chiffon egg whites are beaten as the dark matter chocolate is mixed in.

13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Of course, sometimes chocolate behaves as a particle, at other times as a wave of pleasure. And we should not forget Hershey's Uncertainty Principle: we cannot simultaneously know the position of any chocolate in a selection tray and that chocolate's contents.

14. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Lately I have been studying the Third Law of Chocodynamics which states that: at any temperature below the melting point of chocolate all chocolate is moving towards the mouth of a chocolate eater at the same speed as the mouth of the chocolate eater is moving towards the chocolate.

15. fadeaway humper that way lies madness Registered Senior Member

Clearly, your equation doesn't contemplate the nuts as a disruptive factor. It's all about the nuts, baby.

16. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

enjoyment

17. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

Personally I don't see the human race as particularly worthwhile. I prefer the company of dogs and cats over humans.

I don't like how people treat me so poorly since I was in high school and this is why I became a socially isolated loner since I was in high school.

People have been bullying me ever since I was a teenager and that is why I prefer to be alone.

18. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

"Is this burning, an eternal flame?"-The Bangles.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Meaning and significance for the cosmos is provided by humans (i.e, those life-forms interested in such), as is the very concept itself and other systemic understandings (including intellectual arguments and proofs). Empirical evidence that any environs whatsoever exists to begin with was more or less generated prior to us by other species, inasmuch as bare observations or phenomenal manifestations can count for that. [footnote1]

"God" can be deemed a product of prosopopoeia -- wherein the general idea of "meaning and significance" is reified / personified, especially for the sake of a non-esoteric populace which might otherwise have had difficulty relating to abstractions. IOW, a higher level is introduced to shift semantic origins and importance up to, so that humans can regard it as a greater agency that is issuing the goals / duties rather than they or their administrative society merely prescribing those affairs to themselves.[footnote2]

But instead of monotheistically bundling multiple categories into a single package or umbrella principle (one deity), other ancients went the polytheistic route of god-ifying each generalization individually. Thereby distinguishing their concepts or keeping them distinct. Like the deity of harvest, the deity of love, the deity of war, the deity of justice, etc.

- - - - - -
    • [footnote 1] The contingent emotional stances and feelings of those animals projected upon things, events, and their body states might have been a primitive precursor of later language-based value attribution and formulation.
    • [footnote 2] Immanuel Kant: Reason inevitably creates objects for itself. Hence everything that thinks has a God. [...the subject...] prescribes to itself, and yet as if another higher person had made it a rule for him. The subject feels himself necessitated through his own reason [...] to obey these duties. What God may be can be developed from concepts, by means of metaphysics; but that there is a God belongs to transcendental philosophy and can only be proved hypothetically.

[...] The world is the whole of all sense-objects, thought not in aggregate but in a system, and there is one world and one God (contra pluralitas mundorum); and, if God is assumed, then there is a single god.

The existence of such a being, however, can only be postulated in a practical respect: Namely, the necessity of acting in such a way as if I stood under such a fearsome -- but yet, at the same time, salutary -- guidance and also guarantee, in the knowledge of all my duties as divine commands; hence the existence of such a being is not postulated in this formula, which would be self-contradictory.
      --Opus Postumum

- - - - -

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

requires a belief of any constitution

Don't think it does

There is no

value

purpose or

god

with god being the biggest con

Telling people everything will be better in the next life

Hello god while I appreciate that I really could do with a little bit of comfort now

Also the Physics which brought us into existence are not sentinant hence know nothing of value or purpose

I hope the eternal supply of beer eliminates the dispair

No

It does appear though ALL life continues to perpetuate its own kind with only us smart/dumb enough to ask WHY

So

seems to be a good response

Perhaps in a weird way offspring represent our heaven even though we only get to experience their lives secondhand and even then it may not be roses petal strewn

Perhaps we project that their life will be better than ours and this gives us the warm glowing feeling

Or indigestion

In any case we've done our bit when we die it's up to them to sort it out

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

""God" can be deemed a product of prosopopoeia -- wherein the general idea of "meaning and significance" is reified / personified, especially for the sake of a non-esoteric populace which might otherwise have had difficulty relating to abstractions. IOW, a higher level is introduced to shift semantic origins and importance up to, so that humans can regard it as a greater agency that is issuing the goals / duties rather than they or their administrative society merely prescribing those affairs to themselves.[footnote2] " Posted by CC

This is what Nietsche concluded: There was written evidence of slavery BEFORE there was any written word of God. Therefore the slaves "invented" God to ease their suffering in this life, and condemn their masters to hell. On a side note is there any written evidence of time-travellers yet...? Until there is it does not exist.

22. river

To learn about material existence .

23. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Without offspring you are the last person walking the Earth. You are "The last boy-scout."