Why police detectives and the FBI consult psychics

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Magical Realist, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Read some Arthur Conan Doyle; his protagonist specializes in such "psychic skills."

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Detectives are sometimes pressurised to work in a certain direction.
    A fresh approach sometimes helps.
    I'd be surprised if Psychics haven't helped from time to time, and above chance.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

To explain above:
    They appear psychic until you understand the reasoning behind them.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You DO know that's fiction don't you?

8. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

There was nothing for me to concede: we've been telling you from the beginning that the shotgun technique will eventually result in some right answers, as will feeding back to people information those people provided (cold reading and hot reading). That's not the issue here. The issue is that psychics do not help solve crimes and your own examples contradict your claims that they do. You, of course, know all of this: you are doing little else but lying and trolling now, which is evidence to me that you realize your error. No amount of flooding without analyzing the cases you are posting is going to change these realities. If you want people to believe you are honestly naive and gullible and not just trolling, you need to go back and critically analyze the cases we've pointed out flaws in and admit when you are wrong. Lying, goalpost shifting, dodging, post-and-run and flooding are all calculated trolling techniques. The case you posted in 149/162 contradicts your claim. You need to stop being dishonest and acknowledge that, not try to pretend it didn't happen by jumping to the next case or ignoring your own thesis.

By the way, I did go back and watch that episode you linked from Youtube. It's the same as most of the others:
    The psychic made exactly the same vague claims about the victim being next to a highway and water that most of these cases involve. And just like in all the others, that didn't help at all in finding the victim.

Now, that case actually did have the "psychic" providing real help, but not by being a psychic, but by being a "psychic". See, the "psychic" spooked one of the suspects during an interview because the suspect believed the "psychic" was a psychic. For some reason (screw loose, probably), this prompted her to pretend she was a psychic as well and led search teams directly to where she dumped the body. Police didn't buy that of course and quickly got her to confess. She didn't know that that's not how "psychics" operate: they never, ever lead police to the body because they are "psychics", not psychics. They don't have any idea where the body actually is. And the police know that, so when someone claiming to be a psychic leads you to a body, it isn't because they saw it in a vision, it's because they put the body there themself or heard it from the person who did.

In short, yet another case where the "psychic" provided a ton of information and none of it helped find the victim or prove the guilt of the killer.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

@ MR

Have you ever had a personal experience wit a psychic.???

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Now you're just lying. I already posted numerous examples of psychics helping solving crimes. I even pointed you to the post where I did it. In none of those cases was there any evidence of a shotgun technique or cold reading. I could post many more examples, but seeing you already deny the ones I have posted what's the point. You live in complete denial of the facts I've presented and have presented no evidence that psychics don't provide valuable information in crime and missing persons cases. My point is more than proven: psychics are reliable crime solvers and police DO use them to solve cases. Lying about that and calling me a troll only belies your own frustration in not finding any case so far where the psychics weren't right on. That's why you had to shift your claim to "not helping solve crimes". A claim which in fact is totally bogus and which I am more than happy now disproving if that's what you want to focus on instead.

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

No..does that reflect on their accuracy in any way?

12. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

No, you most certainly did not. You flood posted a thousand words and just said it's in there, when in fact the quoted part clearly shows that the "psychics" were of no help: Many "psychics" gave lots of advice about where to find the body and none resulted in police finding the body. You know this: you spent yesterday's posts bobbing and weaving to avoid dealing with it - even going so far as to ignore your own thread thesis. You are lying to cover your wrongness.
    This thread was never very good, but not it's just ready for cesspool. When lying is all you've been reduced to, there's nothing else to be done.

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

LOL! Here's what I said:

"Good. I'm glad you concede that psychics are indeed accurate. Now refer back to post #194 for more cases where psychics have helped solved crimes."

Now go back and look at #194 before making a fool of yourself any longer.

14. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

No. You can't run from your mistakes. You need to acknowledge your (the psychics') failure in what you posted in 149/162 before we can move on to talk about the next case. Though in preparation for the next case, which I have read, you should tell me what the flaws are (and try to explain them away) and save me the trouble of posting it. If you've done any research on it, you should be able to see the obvious problems with it.

It isn't my claim, it's your claim from the OP. You spent all day yesterday dodging it, but if you want to start addressing it, by all means do so. I won't be holding my breath.

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You can apologize for calling me a liar now. Not that I really expect it. But it WOULD be the civil thing at this point.

I already have in numerous cases. Why you insist on denying this is beyond me.

16. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

No... but a personal experience woud have been interestin to hear about.!!!

If you did want to use ther services... which currently practicin psychic woud be you'r choice.???

17. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I didn't call you a liar, I said you are lying. You're lying a lot. And I certainly won't be taking that back since not only was it accurate, but you haven't fixed the lies yet!
    Again, the case we are discussing is the one you posted in 149/162. You need to explicitly acknowledge that you understand you were wrong to claim that the "psychics" helped solve the case and acknowledge that they did not. Clearly, you are aware that you were wrong, otherwise you wouldn't be trying so hard to dodge it - if you thought you were right, you'd be trying to continue discussing it. You can't just ignore your mistake and jump to the next case (and on down the line of 81 cases). You have to acknowledge you were wrong before we move on. All you are doing here is picking crap out of your bucket of 81 cases and flinging them at the wall one-by-one in hopes that one will eventually stick. Well, you need to clean-up the last one before moving on to the next one.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

This thread is going nowhere fast...

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Same thing. Saying someone is lying is the same as calling them a liar. And no, there are no lies to fix. Everything I have stated has been confirmed so far.

I'm not acknowledging anything. The clues given in that first case obviously helped the police focus on Gacy, his involvement in multiple murders, the burial of bodies on his property and in other places, as well as the specific location of the body to focus on. So in no way am I going to say the information didn't help in solving the case. And you have no evidence that it didn't. Everything was spot on. That's a demonstration of my OP...remember what it said? "Why do police and the FBI use psychics?" "Because many of them have good track records." THAT is a claim of accuracy, a claim you have so far not refuted in any way.

So are YOU ready to take back YOUR claim: "Psychics have never helped police solve a crime or missing person case." Or are you just hoping I'll forget you said that?

Case 27
    Place: Des Plaines
    Case: Murder of 27 young boys by John Wayne Gacy
    Psychic: Carol Broman and Dorothy Allison from New Jersey
    Evidence found:The police were investigating the disappearance of Robert Priest. The psychics told them that there were many bodies buried under the house.

Police comments:
    Lt. Joe Kozenczak said: “The amazing thing is that the police didn’t know about all these murders … she (the psychic) told us. I became a believer in psychics.”
    Still Beyond Belief; The Use of Psychics in Homicide Investigations by Joseph R. Kozenczak and Karen M. Henrikson, Des Plaines, Illinois

http://crimeshots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

If I ever needed a psychic to find a missing relative of mine or solve a murder for me, I'd probably go with either Nancy Weber or Phil Jordan or Noreen Renier. They have a very good record of assisting police in providing accurate clues in solving cases.

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

Question here.

If you asked a psychic and they said "she is definitely in Indiana; ignore what the well-meaning but clueless police say" and as you were leaving a cop said "we just spotted her in a mall downtown" - would you go with the police to where she was spotted, or would you get on a plane to Indiana?

22. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Which psychic that is curently popular/well known do you thank is the most untrustworthy/likely a fraud/fake.???

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Ofcourse I'd go with where she was spotted. And especially so if the psychic confirmed that location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.