Why seeking to define what 'reality' means makes you a loser ... or not

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wynn, Apr 15, 2009.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Sed Swarm in another thread:

Personal politics at its best!

Aside from that, a philosophy-related issue: It is interesting how people can discuss stuff - as long as the definition of what is 'real' is neatly kept in a corner as a taboo.

But question the definition of 'real', and the whole discussion collapses like a house of cards - one party declares victory and departs the field, the other party is supposed to admit total and utter loserdom.

How come?

Words like 'truth', 'reality', 'real' are power words, words that most people have respect for, even if willy-nilly.
    Some people, being aware of this power, then wield 'truth', 'reality' and 'real' as swords that nobody and nothing can resist - even if they themselves refuse to define what 'truth', 'reality' and 'real' mean.

If they would actually define them, they couldn't declare victory anymore, and would be left on the field. And they sure know that!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MysteriousStranger Banned Banned

Many philosophers have had a go at " defining 'real' " and the definition you use depends on the context.

A "real" pair of Nike shoes are ones that are produced by the company Nike. Rather than imitations from other businesses.

An object that is "real" could be defined as something which can be proven to exist. For example, the argument "I think therefore I am" could be used to prove that my conciousness is "real."

It should be a given in a conversation that both parties know which definition of "real" they are using under the given context. For someone to prove that a "real" civilization exists outside our solar system and then for one to say "Aaah, but is the Universe itself even real!?" is basically what you might call "switching contexts." The discussion doesn't collapse like a "house of cards" it's just that you've made an entirely separate discussion independant of the original one.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

You confuse real with genuine.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bishadi Banned Banned

Lack of integrity.

In a world of choice, any can choose their opinion over reality. As some consider the accepted norm as reality but most know there are holes in them stories and choose to over look them.

This can be seen on many fronts; religions needs magic to perform, 2LoT needs complacency to continue as 'The Law'.

The key is honesty.

To me the simple fix is to observe a pure rule; "shut the blank up if you don't know what you are talking about"

Meaning to me, people do not have a right to lie!

Many disagree as they believe it is a right. It is the flaw of irresponsibility enabled by the bastardization of 'freedom.'

As Freedom was never meant to allow anyone to misrepresent what is true or false.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009