Why send humans to the moon?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by cosmictraveler, Jul 3, 2008.

1. draqon Banned Banned

our genes will take care of that. Let us die, but pass genes of survival in space to our children.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Because some people like to take risks, they like adventure and they don't even mind a higher chance of dying 5,10 or even 50 years earlier than they should, in order to have a life with that adventure.

Humans are not patient, even disciplined types that can make it into ESA or NASA. The "Rush" occurs, because there is a short time we have on this planet, whether it is 30 years or even 70+ like Jack Swaggart(at his age do we really give a fuck if he got bone cancer from space - I doubt he worries about that). So you can bitch about it to that long life surfing the internet, but if I had a chance to go to the Moon on an adventure like that, i'd be gone tomorrow if they wanted me to. It just not in the cards for me, but there are others who can get picked for it and will go happily.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If they want to risk it then they should pay for themselves to go into space not everyone else. It isn't right to make others pay for your explorations when everyone knows that you're taking unnecessary risks with your life.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

only to a fool is space an "unnecessary" risk.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But if our genes are fragmented into little pieces they won't be able to be transmitted onto the next generation. When cosmic rays hit genes they break them apart like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nothing passes along, it just passes away!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. draqon Banned Banned

survey conducted in NY city:

10. draqon Banned Banned

you are wrong...the genes of people who live not long enough, will not be passed. The genes of those people who have fast dna repair mechanism and/or less cancer...will pass on...after generations upon generations this genes will pave to the future of space.

11. draqon Banned Banned

Space is with us. Space is in our dreams. Space is our future. Space is were we will be. So let us start the journey and prove ourselves before all the universe!

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

And almost everyone of those answers can be done by robotic spacecraft. Robots can do everything there on that list for humans and safely with allot less costs. Ask those same people if they were to go into space would they want to go safely or just go without any precautions taken for their well being?

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

We are already in space, the ISS is doing just fine as well as robotic spacecraft exploring hundreds of new cosmic things.

14. draqon Banned Banned

we are not robots, we are humans, we live our own lives, robots do not live lives for us.

15. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

IMO people are way too concerned with safety these days. Does it really make much difference if you live 10 years longer? Does it really?

If I were given the choice of trying something like going to Mars, with a 50% chance that I might die in the process, I'd take it. Even if I die lessons will be learned that will make the trip safer the next time around. Look at airplane disasters, each one is investigated to death and makes air travel safer for everyone.

As for the idea that it's not fair to everyone that we're spending money on space exploration I can only roll my eyes. Space exploration is such a tiny slice of the budget that it's not even worth mentioning. You want to get upset about wasted money, get upset about the insane spending that goes into the military each year. $17 billion was spent on NASA last year, $2 billion a week was spent on Iraq. Lets get our perspectives straight here.

16. draqon Banned Banned

ISS is just a beginning, We need to expand and make settlements in space, on moons, planets...we need to explore, to find new resources, new homes, new places to exist, new cultures to develop. Space is truly limitless and we need to do it ourselves. Robots are not us, we are humans, we stand before eyes of the universe to prove ourselves capable of survival. Our minds will help us with our task, our tools will pave the road to stars, our souls will show and lead us there.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Even if you knew that within 10 years you could go without any worry about your safety? You really wouldn't want to leave without all the safety you can have would you? That's like committing suicide.

18. draqon Banned Banned

We need to increase budget into space exploration many tenth of times and it has to be done as soon as possible. New technologies developed now must be allowed to be employed in space exploration.

19. draqon Banned Banned

there is no such thing as "no worry over our safety"...there is always risk...

20. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

That's absurd. The risks are the unknowns, not the stuff you can prepare for. Nobody thought a piece of foam could punch a hole in the heat tiles of a shuttle until it actually happened. Now, because it happened, the shuttles are checked for damage prior to re-entry. Safety comes by learning from mistakes.

21. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Senator John Glenn doesn't seem to be suffering from any radiation effects, nor any other astronaut for that matter.

We need to go to the moon so we can drill for oil and pollute the environment there.

22. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Just like you gotta pay the useless to not rob you via some kind of welfare system, you gotta pay the von Braun's of the world to build Titans rather than V2s. You gotta pay adventurers to explore, rather than ...more negative activities.

In short the smart, motivated, useful people need society to help them along as well as society takes care of the poor, stupid, needy people.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

He wasn't LIVING in space as long as the new humans are today. We will need time to study what effects long term exposures will have on humans inside the ISS which will be built in 3 more years then we will know more. Don't forget they want a manned colony of some kind on the moon which will need allot of radiation protection before they can live there.