Why should we design our machines to “seem” alive?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by needs_to_know, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needs_to_know Registered Member

I am a college student new to the field of Artificial Intelligence and Artificial Life.

I am writing a paper for a class and wanted to know more information on why scientists, engineers, artists, etc. have been and are designing machines (ex: robots like COG and Kismet) to seem alive or human?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

Possibly because any real research needs funding, and the government is more likey to put money into projects that have already produced some results. i.e. a robot who has a voice and can say your name.

I think it's more show than anything. Nothing says that a computer 2,000 years from today has to look anything like a human, nor does it have to appear alive. I just believe a bipedal robot with a human shape catches the attention of prospective investors more easily.

JD

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

There are many reasons needs to know. Here are a few, as they occur to me, in no particular order.

1. If we can create an advanced AI it will give us improved understanding of how our own intelligence functions. This in turn could have impact on teaching methods.
    2. AIs could improve the quality (and safety) of almost anything we do. Consider an AI functioning as a doctor for example - combine the 'intuitive' diagnostic skills of a human doctor with the vast data base available to an AI.
    3. A 'simple' AI could improve the ease of use of many devices. e.g. GPS navigation system you could discuss routes with.
    4. An AI based in a robot body could function in environments hostile to humans.
    5. AIs could provide companionship for older people living alone.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Balerion Banned Banned

Ohiolite, I really doubt we'll be able to create advanced until we have a better understanding of how our own intelligence functions.

Other than that, your points all make sense, though the "AI as a companion for lonely old people" is kinda sad and creepy...but I don't doubt it will come to that someday.

But let's not forget:

6. AI's could finally provide btismah with a date on Saturday nights.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

One of the key questions this branch of science addresses is whether life requires an ingredient which can not be artificially reproduced (however vaguely defined as a soul or divine intervention). If a robot, or a virtual pet, can behave eerily simular to a natural equivalent, the argument of the mystical "breath of life" finds itself on shaky ground.

Designing "human-like" robots, although they are nowhere near of having the intelligence of a human, can help us to study ourselves. Imagine a robot that is able to express the direct opposite of the mood you are in. If such a robot is built, it implies that we understand which hints a computer should take from a human face to infer a mood and how to represent a mood in an artificially created face. Aspiring to recreate emotional expressions, requires that we have an understanding of the mechanisms behind our own.

Having said that, Honda's robots which can walk in a human fashion, or Sony's doglike Aibos, are indeed more of a marketing trick than in depth research in AI. They reap the media attention a commercial enterprise can benefit from. Yet, steady advancements in these technologies can benefit us not only in terms of entertainment but hopefully also when it comes to replacing our defective or ill-stricken limbs and senses with artificial ones.The more AI resembles us, the more we can use it to augment ourselves, when necessary.

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I think the two can (and should) go hand in hand. Of course AI covers a multitude of sins, from something that mimics human reactions in a discrete and restricted environment, up to a self aware entity. I rather suspect, in conflict with your own thoughts, that if we do create a self aware entity we wont know exactly how it arose.. At that point we will have two sentient lifeforms, whose nature remains mysterious........for a time.
    Cruel.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

[But clever]

10. Robanan Registered Senior Member

I agree, If the perspectives are to implement AI in our society it means that it's place should be clearly defined in accordance with our needs and potentials.

11. Robanan Registered Senior Member

My view is that we don't really need "robots" in order to be able to study ourselves. Studying ourselves and others through the opportunities that life brings forth is much more effective than any other "artificial" opportunity for learning. If we could develop a robot which can reproduce "moods" it means that we already know everything we need to know about "moods". Even though I agree that reproducing intellect would enable science to examine and study the phenomena in a more acceptable and understandable manner.

12. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

I agree. Knowing how to reproduce things like the capability to learn in a robot represents a high understanding of things like the capability to learn.

Advanced robots are also practical for many tasks which are dangerous, menial or (in the long run) expensive for humans.

Another justification would be the potential ability to create things which are indistinguishable from those qualified as "living," and all of its philosophical implications.

I'm sure some people in the military dream about a force of robots, too ...

Agreed. It'd be easier, more efficient and more humane/socially acceptable to conduct tests and research on lifelike robots than human beings.

13. Rick Valued Senior Member

The why of AI is little subjective to answer, but i am pretty sure its Man's strong urge to play God and is one of the factors.
    Other reasons include (but these arent the only ones) :
    1.)Space program
    2.)Expert systems helping in solving a specific problem efficiently with more reliable solutions rather than human intervention, which only is necessary during an exceptional condition.
    3.)Data mining
    4.)Decision Support Systems
    5.)Knowledge Management systems
    (all DSS,ES,KMS are different, bear that in mind, i can define them for you if you want me to)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.