Why squirrels are 'splooting' in the heat

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by wegs, Jul 22, 2022.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The races are usually labeled “5k, 10k,”then 1/2 marathon and full marathon, if you’re really dedicated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

.04672km is 46 metres and 72 cm. Do you often measure your runs down to the yard and inch?

An 8km run would make you stop at the 4 mile, 5,126 foot, 8 85/128 inch mark.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

We still have local races that use miles.
    Personally I don't go running, but if I was a serious runner I'd expect a 5-mile race to be 5 miles and not 50 metres short of that. The same way the London Marathon is 26 miles and 385 yards, not c.50 metres short of that.
    So not 5 miles. Thanks for playing, though.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't know that an intervention is required (maybe?) but running in Florida in the summer? I have to question that judgement. Spying on an alligator that is obviously flirting with you kind of indicates that maybe an intervention is required.

Sarkas, ex-chemist...let's confer, a member is in need ...

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol @ ''spying on alligators''

I know better than to run near the lake.

Fun fact - I scrolled back to the beginning of the thread, to see who/when it went off topic into a discussion on measurements. Alas, it was me. Post #4....

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    Seattle likes this.
  9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

It's unfortunate when a thread on "splooting" gets off topic.

wegs likes this.
  10. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Klickage?

The problem with that is around here klicks are used for both kilometers and kilometers per hour.

11. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Speaking of alligators....

A friend of mine has an old friend who lives in North Dakota. The friend's daughter was having a baby, so my friend and her friend went down to Florida for the event.

The first morning, my friend went out into the back yard with a cup of coffee. The area around the house was mowed but beyond that there was taller grass and then a canal. My friend wandered innocently toward the canal.

When she got to the tall grass, her friend appeared at the back door and called, "Come here." She repeated more and more urgently, "Come here!" as my friend walked toward her.

When they met on the short grass, my friend asked, "What's the matter?"

"We don't walk in the tall grass."

"Why not? It doesn't hurt anything."

"We don't walk in the tall grass."

"Why not?"

At that moment, an alligator walked out of the tall grass onto the short grass.

"Because in the tall grass, you can't see them coming."

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

That’s right. And snakes too can be slithering around in taller grass/reeds. Anything that “slithers” is a bit creepy and can’t be good.

It may sound so ominous, but there is a lot of beauty in the nature-life, here. Just this morning, I sat outside on my back patio right after the sun came up, and there was a deer across the lake, a few cranes strolling by, and butterflies. No pesky mosquitoes at that hour. It’s just so hot here that it’s hard to enjoy the outdoors, unless you’re near swimmable water.

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Have you ever visited Okefernoke Swamp in George (near the Florida border...Waycross)? I thought it was beautiful. Maybe you'd think "It's just like my backyard"

By the way, you should have taken a photo this morning and posted it!

14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hmm, I wouldn’t consider my backyard a “swamp,” despite some of its inhabitants.

However, go a little further into the forest, and it’s likely swampy, with very little firm ground to walk on. I wonder how the deer manage to make a home there, because it’s truly so muddy and filled with snakes and gators. If I were a deer, the Pacific NW would be where I’d desire to live, although they have to battle the cold temps during the harsh winters.

15. Seattle Valued Senior Member

We don't have harsh winters.

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It likely depends where you live in Washington. I follow two vloggers on Youtube, and they were digging themselves out of snow nearly every week this past winter, and it snowed even in May this year. They're both located in small, rural towns in northern Washington. That's pretty ''harsh'' to me.

17. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

In Saskatchewan, we have never recorded snow in July.

18. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Good point. Winter in Seattle is mild unless you are comparing it to Florida.

I lived in Spokane for a couple of years and that is harsh compared to Seattle but it's milder than Montana or North Dakota so I guess everything is relative.

wegs likes this.
  19. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Now that I think of it, Spokane and the mountains of N.C. are the only places I've lived where there are 4 seasons. In eastern NC it's either hot and humid or it's winter and that is generally without snow. Seattle is mild and damp or it's summer and it's sunny and nice. In Arizona it was either sunny and very hot or it was sunny and warm.