why stuff is the way it is???

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by alain, Jun 21, 2004.

1. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

have you ever stoped, and thought 'wait, i dont get it, why would one thing attract other things towards it' (gravity) this would require it to wield some unseen force.

i don't see a reason why this should happen... except for the one below, and im not sure if it makes sense anyway

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

assume that we exist and are alive

if gravity didn't exist, no planet would stay near enough to a star to have time for life to spawn, but we do exist, so wouldn't it make sense that gravity exists because it has to in order for us to be here thinking about gravity's existance

coments??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I always ponder why everything exists anyway. I mean, there is no real reason for it, is there? Just as there seems to be no reson why gravity exists, or time for that matter.
    The dumb thing is, it is very unlikely that I or anyone else will find the answers in this life.
    Gravity is obviously there, but we don´t know if it was created or if it just developed. And finding the answers is tough. Perhaps god created gravity and all the other things for us. Might be a possibility, but than there is the question where god comes from....

Some things are just there, when we ever find the reason, the answer to all these questions, then I suppose we will be gods...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

maybe it doesnt

if you belive in a multiverse it all goes away though, since all you have to look for it the probability of it happening, and it will happen etc. you know it all dont you?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

You're totally correct here. Ontologically speaking, there is no reason for anything to happen. Things are the way they are; it is nothing but the human perspective that brings the question of reason into things. The human mind loves to organize and as such, it's only natural for us to put a teleological spin on everything. Thus, we have reason, and from there, math, and physics, et. al. No humans around, no reasons.

8. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Why don't u ask the same question about that then. WHY does God need to exist? Whats the point of him being here? I think IMO its very unlikely anyway.

9. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Not quite, there are theorys explaining gravity without the need for a force acting at all.

10. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well, I also do not think that a god is very likely, or useful. But there is the possibility that one or more may exist. Perhaps I should have elaborated on that point.

11. water the sea Registered Senior Member

As for God: I think God is a *mental construct* to provide an idea for order in the Universe that would otherwise be felt as chaotic (that is, to some).

To some people, God is the "Archimedes' point" (I'm not sure what the exact English phrase for this is, but I'm sure you know the story when Archimedes said that one should give him a point where he could place a pole to, and then he could lift the Earth, damn, my shitty English).

12. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

i think thats right.

13. TheERK Registered Senior Member

No, it does not all go away. Of course, there must be laws governing such a multiverse, otherwise the concept would be useless and would have no explanatory power concerning the formation of our own universe. If you're going to use the multiverse to answer questions about our own universe, you're going to be stuck with at least two new questions: where did the multiverse come from, and why does it follow the laws that it does? Sound familiar?

I am of the opinion that the ultimate origins question isn't one that can be answered, ever, by anyone. For anyone who differs in opinion, I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it.

14. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

what i the multiverse is infinte? same thing, but a philosopher would call that circular justifactation. also, i dont really know about how it started. if i did i'd be a nobel prize winner

i think that the ultimate questions can be answered, if only for the fact that i see no reason in exsisting if they cant.

15. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member