Why the West is afraid of China?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Saint, May 30, 2021.

1. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

You probably believe Rusians help trampy to win right!? Lol

Have you ever heard anything positive about China on ony US media? Why not

150.000 milion chinese travel the world each year and they all come back,why do you think that is?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

scorpius:

Don't think that I failed to notice that you didn't even attempt to answer the many questions I put to you in my previous post.

Lots of other readers will similarly not have failed to notice your unwillingness to engage on certain topics.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Maybe so.

In what sense can modern China be called a communist country, though? China has thoroughly embraced capitalism and the market economy. Moreover, its citizens have hugely benefitted from that embrace in recent years.

I understand why your government might still want its citizens to think that China is communist, though.
    Actually, I think most Americans would prefer their tax dollars to be spent on things other than the military.

But if you want to compare military expenditures, let's do that. How much did China spend on its military last year? And the US? And what percentage of GNP was allocated in both nations?

9. Yazata Valued Senior Member

'Concerned' might be a better word.

China is rising to super-power status and it's is a competitor militarily, economically and ideologically. The world appears to be returning to the 20th century Cold War bipolar situation of contending superpowers. And that increases the chances of World War III, a global nuclear holocaust.

And China makes it very difficult for Western companies to compete in the Chinese market. They prefer to place all kinds of restrictions on foreign companies in China, steal all the intellectual property they can get their hands on, then promote domestic companies copying Western technology and business models. What's more, I believe that there have been allegations that the Huawei routers have back-doors built into their firmware allowing Chinese intelligence to tap into all the data passing through them.

A growing body of evidence suggests that there's a good likelihood that it might have. We know that the Wuhan Institute of Virology was genetically engineering SARs related coronaviruses to try to see whether the changes made them more transmissable to humans. (The motivation was to better understand why some viruses jump from animals to humans but most don't.) We know that they had engineered several of these variants. We know that the lab had previously been criticized for poorly trained technicians and for sloppy laboratory technique. We know that several workers at the lab fell ill with a mysterious illness whose symptoms closely resemble covid and were sent to city hospitals before the disease appeared in the Wuhan general population. We know that after the disease appeared in the city, the WIV destroyed all the sequence data for the variants that they had engineered to prevent comparison with the covid-19 virus sweeping the world.

I live in a part of the United States (Silicon Valley in California) with a huge Asian population and have never heard of that happening. It's conceivable that somebody was rude to somebody else on occasion, but I haven't heard of any physical attacks.

You are being rude in this thread, so it works both ways.

Presumably there's a reason why hordes of Chinese want to move to the United States but few if any foreigners move to China.

And I believe that you are probably a Chinese-Malaysian who is feeling a bit of nationalism regarding the old country. As China rises, that represents the rise of the people you identify with, right?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    C C likes this.
  10. river

Both the West and China want to control the populace .

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What a strange thing to say.

In the West, leaders are elected from among the people. Government is by consent, not by force.

Haven't you noticed?

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, remember, this is River.

exchemist likes this.