why we need ghosts

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by birch, Feb 27, 2016.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

To be clear though, Y, skeptics don't start an argument in a vacuum by declaring there are no ghosts, any more than they start an argument that there are no purple people eaters.

There are an infinite number of things in the universe that don't exist until they do.

And it always must start with someone first asserting that they do.

So, yes the skeptic's job is to start with the assumption that something does not exist until sufficient compelling evidence is accepted.

That is not an a priori assumption (any more than the scientific method requires) or circular reasoning.

(Unless you want to assert purple people eaters and those infinite number of things exist until we can show they don't.)

Finally, thoughtful skeptics do not assert a truth that (for example) ghosts or UFOS don't exist. They assert that the evidence provided is insufficient to conclude they do.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I stand corrected...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

True, however, the more I think about it......

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Don't misunderstand; we all have our beliefs.

Generally, atheists believe there is no God.

But beliefs are not assertions.

Subjective beliefs don't need to be defended. Unless they're stated as objective assertions.

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I agree, but a subjective belief that has evidentiary roots, may be considered cognition of objective fact.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Nope. Not at all. For one thing the so-called "artifact" moves behind the crib, showing it is not an artifact of video but something that was actually there. Secondly, there is all the supportive evidence for the haunting by the people who live there as described in the OP:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Mother-of-one Heather Brough, 25, from Michigan, discovered three deep 'purple scratches' on her one-year-old baby's cheek after waking her from a nap.

The unexplained injuries on her daughter Lily, prompted Ms Brough and her fiance Josh Higgins, 30, who live at his mother's guesthouse, to check their baby camera.

And when reviewing the footage, they claim to have seen a male figure briskly walking past Lily's cot before disappearing into thin-air.

A young couple have claimed they are being driven from their home by a violent 'schizophrenic' spirit after footage showed a ghostly figure walking past their daughter's crib.

The pair are now actively looking for a new home to get away from the 'haunted' property - after paranormal investigators confirmed the house had 'paranormal activity'.

Mr Higgins' mother said the former owner of the home was an elderly lady who lay with a broken hip for 'a very long time' until she was found dead at the bottom of the stairs.
    Her schizophrenic brother lived in the guesthouse until his death some years later.

Ms Brough said: 'This is a spirit - I don't know what its intentions are but at this point it's becoming physically harmful. This has made us want to leave as soon as possible. As soon as possible we're out of here.

Mother-of-one Heather Brough, 25, from Michigan, discovered three deep 'purple scratches' on her baby's cheek after waking her from a nap and claims footage shows a male figure briskly walking past the tot's cot

'Seeing Lily's face with the scratches was so bizarre and frightening. There was no explanation as to how that would have happened. It happened within 20 minutes.

'We wondered if she'd scratched herself, but when we put her hands up to the scratches it did not match up. I think it's possible this is the previous tenant,' she added.

The seemingly creepy sighting on their baby camera is far from the first for Ms Brough, who claims she experienced months of ghostly goings-on prior to the incident.

She claims to have heard screaming, stomping, and laughing, while home alone and was even woken from her sleep by the sound of a male shouting.

'There have been times where me and my fiance would wake up in the morning and I would hear an angry male voice - like someone had stubbed their toe,' she explained.

She is now actively looking for a new home to get away from the 'haunted' property - after paranormal investigators confirmed the house had 'paranormal activity'.

The terrified mother added: 'The first couple of times it happened I thought my fiance and his brother were running up and down the stairs for things - but when I opened the door no-one was there.

'I woke up to get ready for work one morning and it felt like someone was choking me. It shook me to the point where I decided to buy our camera.'"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IOW, there was evidence of the haunting in addition to the camera footage. This is consistent with most paranormal phenomena, not relying on one piece of evidence but incorporating all sorts of evidence.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Welcome back MR.
    Take off your hat. Stay a while.

Magical Realist likes this.
  12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Police respond to a racket in a school in Brazil. Here is what they found. Go full screen to see better.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

A door, opening and closing; that's compelling evidence of a door.

Opening and closing is literally the only thing a door exists for. If a door did not open and close, it would not be a door.

14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

We need ghosts because they’re so interesting to talk about.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The same thing can be said about God, now that you mention it.

MR doesn't believe in God; he finds it - waitforit - implausible.

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

God is interesting, too...definitely.

Hmm. I think that it could be because ghosts aren't in the worship business. Maybe it has something to do with that? I can't speak for MR, but just my best guess.

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Not by itself like that. Definitely poltergeist activity.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I never see God moving stuff or captured on video. Ghosts otoh? All the time..

19. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Wind?

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Wind wouldn't open that door and then slam it shut repeatedly. Especially in a closed up school hallway.

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

How would you know? Stop being so ridiculous MR. If the door lock/latch was in the clicked open position, if there were draughts, an open window, or just from under another door.
    Are you so tired up with your nonsensical ghost stories, that when one comes along that spikes your interest, you automatically reject every and all other possible causes?
    You can talk about me? That's pretty interesting!

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

You do seem to haunt these forums...you cause quite a stir.

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Ahh, c'mon wegs!! I just give as good as I get!!