Why

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Tom, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Tom Guest

I really need help on why we are here...

Please answer the following question...

<marquee><font size=5><font color=2a1aca>So why are we here?</font></font></marquee>

<marquee><font size=5><font color=44ffaa> Is there a single answer to everything?
    </font></font></marquee>

<marquee><font size=5> <font color=a1bba1>Do we need to find out the answer?....Is ignorance bliss and therefore not worth answering?
    </font></font></marquee>

<font size=3>Anything will be of great help to me!</font>

<font size=7>Thank You</font>

</font></font>
    extend reason= i have concluded that there must be a reason as why everything was created, as i dont believe everything stared by pure chance...although my maths isn't great whats the chance that if you have pure nothingness that everything will be created from that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Let's see..

It's hard to just answer these questions as for each individual they will percieve a different answer. Some will have different theories of how we came into being and others just feel that being Ignorant and not bothering to contemplate something that has now true effect on their life is the easiest way out.

I will give you my reasonings to answers, but they are sure to differ with others.

Why are we here?

This question you would have to specify, as you could look to your parents and realise that your reason for being was a joint decision to bring a bundle of joy into the world, or perhaps just a blissful night which needs only as much discussion as the birds and the bees.

If you are asking, Why is our specie here? You could find at first Darwinists bring out a little diagram of the transition from Ape to man. Quite simply, the earth went thorugh some changes many millions of years ago, where particular chemicals entered into a acidic pool (probably at the base of a volcanoe) and began to create the first lifeforms of algae.

Eventually that formation moved on to ther plant life, that in turn produced oxygen, while also in the pool the first animals appeared as cells that began eating the algae and each other.

Speeding it up a bit, the organisms grew into more complex multicelled creatures that were all water based. Then a few moved to the lush vegatation of the land, and started the whole evolutionary movement to what creatures you have now.

I of course thought that the speculation that man was derived from a tree swinger was incorrect, I had a perception that our ancestors didn't climb trees but they would of hid in forests for shelter and camoflauge.

There would then be this split of landbased Apelike creatures and those that ran up the trees during danger. The evolutionary split means our feet are meant for walking while other species are meant for griping to branches.

There is even the point that we walk upright, not because our brains were getting overheated on all fours, but because standing upright you can see a further distance than all fours. This was especially useful when walking across grassy plains, and trying not to get eaten by a big cat or other predator.

You then have the next possible why are we here, meaning the occurance of the universe. I kind of have a theory that we are in a computer, a computer that doesn't have to exist in the time frame that the niverse exists, but could exist as a singularity at any point throughout time. (I would go into great detail, but thats something for people to speculate and argue about for a few years yet)

Is there a single answer to everything?

Yes... the answer is "No".

Igonrance can be bliss. if knowing something causes pain, injury, illness, paranoia, crimilization to name a few reasons.

As for the chances of everything being created from nothing...
    My understanding of the big bang covered the understanding that one event occured and need not occur ever again, thus the singularity could never exist. (The event I meant was a blackhole sucking mass from the future to a Null [0 dimensional] plain of being, to create 1,2 and 3 dimensions with the cascading 4th dimension time. The balckhole then was no longer created because of the universal changes envoked by Chaos mathematics so dispersed. Thats the reaosn that no ones spotted a blackhole)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So why are we here?

Why not? We are here. That should be reason enough.

I hope not. That would be boring.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Do we need to find out the answer?

Only if we wish to justify our lack of immortality.

....Is ignorance bliss and therefore not worth answering?

To a theist, yes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tom Guest

hm..

but wouldnt it be too ignorant to assume that what we think now is going to be correct forever, some people, (and me) think that in 100yrs we will laugh at the fact people thought we 'evolved' from lees evolved species. The universe (or multiverse) is changing and very quickly, i was looking for a single answer that fitted perfectly into everything, is this to....erm...ignortant?
    also note that i was looking for the reason why the whole thing started, 'big bang' or before.

thx though

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Tom,

There are no easy answers. If that is what you're looking for then religion is your best bet. It is not ignorant to assume that what we think now is going to be correct forever. But it is ignorant to believe that. We will continue to ask questions because there will be an endless supply. Hence, there will be an endless supply of answers. And that will lead to more questions. Are we getting dizzy yet?

9. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

We are here to ask those questions and hopefully have a good time while at it.

10. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

We are here? Doh! Oh nuts I hadn't realized.

Hmmm, where is here? Where am I?

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Wherever you are, there you are.

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Tom,

Your questions are easy to ask but hard to answer. We, as a species have been trying to answer those questions since we first formulated them. To make matters worse, as (Q) mentioned, we have come up with answers before only to find they didn't stand up to scrunity. Many of the things we thought we knew have changed over the years as new knowledge brought new questions, some which flew in the face of what had been accepted as the facts.

I suspect that we are on a long road in the quest for knowledge, as it seems that every discovery brings more questions than it answers, indicating that there is so much more yet to find to answer those questions.

It is not ignorant to ask questions that you would really like to know the answer to. Why do you think people train and take up jobs such as scientists and researchers? I guess the thing to ask is, "How bad do you want to know?"

13. Hoth Registered Senior Member

Douglas Adams was on the right track with the number 42, but that's only one of the right answers.

Simple answer: 0
    Complex answer: infinity

Multiply those two numbers togeather and you get the universe -- both infinite, 0, and everything in between.

14. kmguru Staff Member

The answer depends on what you are willing to accept and comprehend. Some of the answers have already been given on this forum including 42

A few more:

We are the result of our DNA. The Universe started out of nothing. Why? Because there was nothing?....

In the end , it does not matter...nothing lives forever...From zero to infinity to zero...it is an illusion...who cares...

The string theory says , we are puppets on strings....

CIRCLE of life...

Hakuna...Matata...

15. Tom Guest

>>>

it is important, very important...

i (personnaly) live to find these answers, i hate the fact that i dont know why, the only job i would ever want is one that trys to answer this question, which i doubt there is

(if you know of one, dam tell me) i'll have to settle with second best..

im hoping that when i die the answer will be revieled, but im not going to see if i will i.e. im not gonna kill myself.

am i insane...yes very.

i dont care about anything else, well love comes kinda close, probably because it is a strong instinct. if i had to die to find the answer, i would, steal... yes, kill.... maybe.

but those are extreme. ne-way 42 is questionable, atleast its simple

thanks for your help so far.... i need more though

16. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Tom ...

Just go to any Church, Temple, Mosque, Tabernacle, Revival Tent Meeting,
    or whatever, and you'll find someone more than willing to answer your
    question.

Then come back and tell us the answer so we can all have a good laugh.

Take care

17. Hoth Registered Senior Member

Re: >>>

Psychologist: investigate why you ask the question

Neuroscientist: investigate how you ask the question

Evolutionary biologist: investigate what the historical causes are that lead up to you asking the question

Anthropologist: investigate how other people ask and answer the question

Author/artist: marvel at the beauty of the question

Philosopher: observe how totally illogical and unfounded all the proposed answers are, then conclude that the answer lies in understanding the question better, and attempt to find the essential features of what the question is really asking

Priest/rabbi/monk: believe you have the answer

Evangelist: try to make everyone else believe you have the answer

God: laugh at people for thinking the question is so deep when the answer is just "because I wanted things this way and what I want is by definition meaningful"

Natural universe: fail to perceive that there's a question or answer involved anywhere

I question the existence of the 2nd to last job there, and although you're a part of the last one you don't get to really do the job until you die.

18. Bohemian Nightmare I am better than you Registered Senior Member

two gold fish sat in a tank one day and one said to the other
    'do you believe in god"
    the other replied
    "of course i do, who else feeds us every day"

we are gold fish and these questions are beyond our comprehension. all we can do is bang our head against the side og the tank.
    its kinda fun though.

19. Tom Guest

hmmm

just say to that comment on goto church, mosque etc and come back and well laugh, f**k off, i didn't want "funnY" or comical answers.

to the gold fish comment, i believe that we can comprehend it, or atleast 'im' willing to give it a go.

that other comment about the different kind of people, not bad but God didnt make the (multi)-universe because he wanted to, did (it) he??
    N.B. Universes dont think, unless your refering to a pesonification then fair enough.

keep em rolling in.please

20. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Tom ...

Re. "just say to that comment on goto church, mosque etc and come back and well laugh, f**k off, i didn't want "funnY" or comical answers.

Then don't post stupid questions (and replies)

Take care

Last edited: Feb 28, 2002
  21. Bambi itinerant smartass Registered Senior Member

Ok Tom, I'll give it a shot:

1) Why are we here?

That's up to us. We're the ones in need of meaning -- it's just us.

2) Is there a single answer to everything?

How can there be one when there is so much of everything? A better question would be, is there a single underlying universe from which everything derives. That would be a good question that can't be addressed at this time due to lack of information.

3) Do we need to find out the answer?

Most definitely. Just look at yourself.

4) Is ignorance bliss?

Maybe -- until you get whacked by something that's out of your control because you don't know either how to control it or even that you could.

At the same time, insight is infinitely more rewarding. Even though it's more stressful. And it brings knowledge of evil just as much as of good. On the other hand, you'll quickly tire of the good unless you have evil to view it against.

22. Hoth Registered Senior Member

Re: hmmm

Wouldn't it be inconsistent with the nature of god if he were forced to create the universe? By the definition of him, doesn't it pretty much have to be his personal choice that he wanted to, and then he as the arbiter of all meanings declares his desire to be inherently meaningful?

Universes dont think, unless your refering to a pesonification then fair enough.

That's why the universe fails to perceive the question... because it doesn't think.

Basically the point there is that there's no objective meaning without a god to arbitrarily enforce a meaning.

As Bambi seems to be pointing out, though, there is subjective meaning -- meaning which you choose to apply, which if there's no objective meaning to contradict it might as well be considered true meaning. Of course we're evolutionarily predisposed towards choosing meanings that involve long life, reproduction, and the greatness of humans... but if I were to choose to make my meaning be to spend my life caring for a pile of rocks in my backyard, no one could contradict me.

I might as well go ahead and give my conceptions of the answers to your questions:

Because it's a logical implication of observation that there's something observed, and that observed can be called "here." Wherever you go, there you are. I know that's not what you want, but that's the only reason which can apply universally to everyone.

Besides that it is what it is, and our observations of it are what are observations of it are? You'll have to define the question to everything before I can really respond.

In general there are simple answers for most questions that are about basic things, but the simple answers are often incredibly complex to determine. The challenge is to go from the simple to the complex and then make it back to a simple thing that's slightly different from the one you started with.

Do we need to find out the answer?....Is ignorance bliss and therefore not worth answering?

Ask yourself this question: if you found out the answer, would that change anything? If you found out the absolute unchangeable nature of things, what would you do with that knowledge? It seems to me like you'd be forced to simply go back to your previous routine, but with less to think about. If there's nothing you could change, but you knew exactly how things were, it also seems like you'd be incredibly frustrated.

Ignorance is not necessarily bliss, but it's not an objectively bad thing either. The reason we like knowledge is that it's one of our subjective internal values, due to how handy it is in surviving and reproducing, which are two things we and all our ancestors are most basically interested in. (Those who weren't interested in those two things didn't reproduce, and therefore didn't have descendants, and so they can't be our ancestors.) So it's natural that we dislike ignorance, even though in some situations like these knowledge may not be that useful if it can't really lead to us changing our actions.

Personally I enjoy the questions and the process of looking for answers... and of considering the nature of the answers and the implications of that even when specific answers may not be possible or may not exist.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2002