Why!

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Cactus Jack, May 13, 2002.

1. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

I don't know how many times I used to cry out to God, wondering why this was happening to me. WHy did no one else feel this way? Why does no one care? I used to think there was a purpose to my pain, my feelings, and the things that happened to me. I thought that if I believed in God that everything would be allright and some day my hardship would be rewarded - because I would make a difference. But not anymore. I realize now that there is no greater meaning to your or anyone else's suffering. Shit happens. You must learn to deal with it, if you want something go for it, don't just sit there and scream "WHY!" because you're not gonna get a answer - Life is what you make it combined with what happens to you - you need to deal with it, not make up things to comfort yourself.

(Yes I know Tyler, a realization I should have come to a long time ago)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

By no means Cactus. You're 14, correct? I came to that conclusion around the same time as you.

I was trying to figure out the answer to that old question, why are we here, when logic took over and I realized there was no reason, we just are.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xev Registered Senior Member

Hey Cactus. Welcome to the wonderful world of athiesm.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There's a bottle of champagne and a box of Godiva in your room. The call-girls will arive shortly (Stop that, Xev)

Fourteen, as Tyler mentions, is a perfect age. There are sixty year olds who have yet to learn this.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Yeah, well the older you get the more you don't want to let go of those comforting, illogical ideals. I forgot who said this on the boards but - everyone believes in God before they die.

However, I am happier as an Atheist. First what this thread is about has made sense to me. Second, I can question everything that has been force fed to me, I am my own person. But most importantly, life has new meaning for me. By believing we "end" at death I appreciate life more and love it more. Feel much better.

8. kmguru Staff Member

At my age of 14, I knew what is yet to come. Though the details are sometimes surprising - the path continues in life. It is like going to Boston fron San Deigo. You sometimes travel north, sometimes east, you kinda know where to gas up and where to find KFC or Cracker Barrel - life is full of surprises at micro level, but at the journey's end: you know you arrived....

9. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

Well done, I must say. Your a lot more mature than many of the 14 yr olds I have met. I remeber thinking when I was 14, "dont forget how you feel right now, so you will understand what it means in the future" Proberbly should have written something down, coz i dont remember Jack. But the point it, everything you go through brings you a step closer to either making or breaking. You either digest it and deal with it, or it eats away at you until you just ignore it. Well, for me anyway. Questioning things might drive you mad, but youll be all the more conscious and appreciative when things start to fall into place. Not everything will make sense, but thats the best part about it/

10. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

You either digest it and deal with it, or it eats away at you until you just ignore it.

No, I know exactly what you mean. Either it just gets incorporated and makes you the person you are now or you over analyze it till you forget about it. Even though I think you described it better.

11. FoxMulder Registered Senior Member

YOU ARE ALL SUFFERING THIS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT YET FOUND THE TRUTH!!! ALL YOUR SUFFERING WOULD END IF YOU FOUND JESUS AND IGNORED YOUR DEMONS!!!!

12. kmguru Staff Member

FOUND JESUS ?

How did he got lost?

13. Tyler Registered Senior Member

We were playing street hockey and Budha shot it wide (he has a horrible shot) so Jesus went to find the ball and he just *sniff* just never came back....

14. Xev Registered Senior Member

Jesus plays hockey? Man, that takes a bit of the sting out of being a Christian.

15. Tyler Registered Senior Member

We had to talk him into it. Jesus wanted to play tiddlywinks but Abrahama and Mohammed convinced him that rivalries made good sport and no rivalry was better than a hockey rivalry.

16. Hoth Registered Senior Member

I don't think so. Plenty of people die as atheists. In fact, I doubt most religious people are really thinking about god on their death bed... they're atheists as they die. I don't know what the stats are, but it seems like a lot of people grow up religious and drift away from it as they get older. And perhaps as you die, you no longer find the pretense of an afterlife beneficial and in order to keep your body fighting and keep yourself from giving up on life until the last possible moment you become an atheist? Religion certainly loses evolutionary value for the severely ill.

Religion exists to help give people more comfort, predictability and stability in their lives. They always have god to turn to in times of need, like an imaginary friend... and that can be helpful as long as you don't get too wrapped up in it to the point of ignoring reality. I think perhaps the casually religious person who attends religious services once a year if that, may lead a nice life.

I've never taken the idea of a god seriously (it's just a self-contradictory concept)... like everyone I was born an atheist but in my case no one tried to change me. I can't say if I'd be happier religious or as an atheist, since it's never been an issue for me, but happiness isn't the only issue -- there are other sorts of goals, none inherently superior, and in general the status quo wins.

Maybe it's the agnostics who get all the fun, since they can convince themselves that there might or might not be a god and waiver back and forth depending on their mood, and can speculate about all the different forms it could take.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Ender Registered Senior Member

This Thread is fun.

Wow! Demons, and in blue too. I think I better convert!!!

What the heck can you be thinking? If you ever take the time to sit down and think you will learn that there are many illogical things in the bible.

God knows everyone who will and will not be saved.
    Man has free will...except on chosing if we go to heaven or hell... sounds like a god i want to serve.

Anyways, I can clearly remember when i became an athiest. However i still lived with my parents, as many/ all of the 14 year olds on this site. I also had many personal relationships with the people at my church. Not to mention i was concidered a very strong god fearing man by everyone in my youth group. If anyone had any questions, or any concerons they came to me. Every younger child loved me because i played with them and treated them like they were important, and every parent would ask me to babysit thier childern. I had one very faithful decon in my church tell me that if i ever wanted to date his daughter, 2 years younger, he would be very happy to let me and would be supportive of us. I never dated her. The girl i liked's mother would tell me if the girl said anything about me. I was able to get just about any information on anyone by thier faimily members. I WAS JUST 14. I had the trust of almost everyone in my church. Oh i was also on my churches leadership board that year, i was the only youth/ anyone under 50 or so.

Then i thought about my religon really hard and talked about it with a friend and with my history/ culture teacher saying religin was a tool, i relized the TRUTH that Christianity was a fake!!

I still stayed a very important figure in my church, except i dropped out of youth choir for a season. I told everyone that my history grdae was low. Everyone baught it and i gained more points.

Since then my life has been much more gratifing, and i have learned to live eyerday to the fullest because there is nothing after death, there is nothing to look foward to. Once you die that's it, but you never know your dead!!

Anyways everyone who is thinking about becoming an athiest, should.