Widespread misunderstanding of water

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by francois, May 23, 2008.

1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I think the most effective method of splitting the water molecule would be biological. Engineered organisms designed to create fuel. We feed them filth and water and out comes hydrogen, oxygen, and maybe even cheeseburgers.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

Why not just engineer them to make oil?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

Alright, how about all of social studies (econ, history, etc.)? That's a pretty big piece of curriculum. And then stuff like biology, chemistry and physics teaches you half truths so it's easier for your immature brain to understand (like the Bohr model of an atom, or natural selection as the only mechanism of evolution [if they even touch the subject], wrong species trees, etc.). Hell, they even tell you you can't take the square root of negtive 1 in mathematics until year three or four, and then that's only the kids who are willing to stick with 4 years of math.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Filthy pig!
    Because Hydrogen Cells are tres sexy.
    Duh.
    Anyway, if the bacteria were turning slime into oil, then where would the cheeseburgers come from?

8. Roman Banned Banned

Our... axlotl tanks.

9. Myles Registered Senior Member

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yes, there's some truth in that - BUT I still say you exaggerate greatly. And besides, you have to learn to crawl before you can walk - that's why some of the science appears "dumbed down." When you are first teaching a kid at home to count, you don't just jump into negative numbers, exponents, etc.

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Maybe you just went to a really bad high school. I found there to be much more bullshit at college, at least at the undergraduate level.

Like my art apreciation class that claimed this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

was art.

12. Roman Banned Banned

You mean like how this:

and this:

is beauty?

I've taken an intro to 2d (learn to draw) and art history (what's been drawn in the past 600 years) class, and found them to be much, much better than anything I had in highschool. Highschool art classes were forumlaic- I didn't learn how to draw perspective or shade or anything. And the art history class did a better job with history than some of my highschool history classes.

Maybe you went to a bad college?

13. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The claim that I've seen on Youtube is that the Joe Cell is actually in use and works in people's cars. They might be lying, but if they are telling the truth, then all the argument in the world won't get rid of that. My method, if I can, is build it and test it. They claim to have something that's ready to build and test.

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Hey, isn't that that John 3:16 guy?

But seriously, I don't buy a red (or black) square as a work of art.
    I went to IU. I'd say it was pretty good. But then, it's the only one I went to.

I would say most undergrad classes were no harder or better than at my highschool. We used to call it high school with ashtrays. Of course, nowadays there are no ashtrays!

Regarding art, I did take it in high school and did learn about perspective and shading.

15. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

I know French pronunciation is awful in school. Eg: Ten is not pronounced dix or deese but di.

16. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Eh god...pseudo talk!!!

17. Roman Banned Banned

Yeah, I would imagine written (typed) word would qualify as pseudo "talk".

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Depends on where in France you are.
    In my accent ten IS Di, 4 is ketr, five is senk, six is si...
    Further north it does become deese, katr, sank, cease.

19. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

All chemical bonds contain energy, but as read-only said, water is a by-product of a combustion reaction, you can't re-burn water. At least i think thats what i mean.

20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That's correct.

Just as you can't re-burn CO2 or the ashes from a campfire. Burned (oxidized) is burned - period. Those chemical bonds cannot be broken without introducing additional energy. (Which defeats the whole purpose of even trying to break them just so you can burn the elements again.)