Wierd Parasite of the Fish

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Green Destiny, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I won't die now either.
    How is it wrong?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh, what animals do is never wrong. They don't have morality like we do. They can go into another environment and wipe out the native species and never be wrong. They are just doing what they do.
    Odd that when we do it, its wrong, huh?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It is odd. But then, we are odd ourselves..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, 'we' are odd? no no no.

8. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

According to the wikipedia article in the OP, the fish remains perfectly fine after the loss of its tongue. The loss is not detrimental to the fish as it uses the parasite in place of its tongue. That’s what makes this so fascinating.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I guess the question is is this a parasite or is it a symbote, sure when its sucking the blood out of the tongue its acting parasitic but once the tongue is gone if it acts as the tongue its symbotic (especially if its just feeding off mucus)

10. whynot Registered Senior Member

I've heard about that! People are overly pure of parasites so the body's immune system works against itself. This guy had something with his immune system attacking so he purposely infested himself with hook worms.

11. whynot Registered Senior Member

I agree it sounds like it turned symbotic! life is about co/existing.

12. whynot Registered Senior Member

I don't know about that. There are alot of beneficial parasites we can find.

Lactobacilli in association with a vaginal epithelial cell (CDC).

There seems to be an equal amount of good symbiosis which are mutualist, or commensalism, but yeah there are equally amount of bad parasitic relationships.

however we can change that around ... like with e-coli and using it for beneficial gains.

13. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

We also have large numbers of viral infections via retrovirus that have become part of our species' DNA. That is a form of smybiosis, is it not, even if the virus is no longer reproducing independently, but instead via our sex organs?

14. whynot Registered Senior Member

well I thought there was a question to this possibly being due to bacteria.:shrug: