Wildlife survivalist

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by birch, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

So the question becomes - for how long? and what is the environment?

We are now down to the "Survival" show - quite different from my original interpretation of your OP. Sorry about the off topic posts...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I've spent about a third of my adult life living outdoors, in one capacity or another--mostly in stints of few months to a year or so. For reasons not entirely clear to me, I'm sort of a magnet for wild critters (Pheromones? I'm not perceived as a threat? Who knows?). One time in the White Mountains of NewHampshire, I awoke in the middle of the night to something repeatedly prodding my tent. Oddly, Parmalee (the dog) was very silent and still--but alert. I got up and slowly exited the tent to find a massive Bull Moose standing right before me. I just froze 'cuz this guy was so close to me and his antlers were massive--I think he could have taken me out simply by turning his head and whopping me with these antlers. After a bit, he just huffed and kind of sauntered off.

Then a few weeks ago, while I was out with the dogs a fawn actually ran into me. She was young and very small, fortunately--as I am also rather slight, as well--so no harm done. Still, that was just... weird.

Both in the U.S. and in South Asia, I've been temporarily adopted by packs of coyotes/coydogs and pariah dogs. Never a wolf or wolves, of course, but just the very idea of being attacked by wolves is downright silly. Coyotes will go after smaller dogs and cats on occasion, but otherwise... sheesh. And pariah dogs mostly try to avoid people, as people tend to be pretty shitty towards them.

(That said, one of our dogs is a pariah rescue from Delhi who survived distemper as a pup.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.