Will A.I. make man devolve?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

If intelligent robots take over all our chores, will man devolve into a more stupid life form?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Forget A.I., that's already happening. When technology gets to that level, I don't think there will be such a distinction between A.I. you put in robots, and AI you use to upgrade your own brain.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Won't upgrading our brains be even worse for devolution? A genetically sub par individual can reproduce by upgrading his brain with electronics.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Genetically sub par/intelligent individuals are already reproducing w/o any electronic enhancements.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Then evolution will have achieved a new method of creating intelligence that is not dependent on genes. Perhaps you have overlooked that very intelligent people will be required to do the R&D in this field. If it becomes a major industry, then those who are most intelligent will be the most successful and perhaps have more successful families.

9. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

No. The A.I. will be more intelligent and will design itself. Didn't you see Terminator?

10. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I see a setting similar to the Terminator or Matrix being very possible and feasible should man ever lose control of machines.

Maybe this type of evolution will weed out greed and stupidity as well.

11. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

I don't think you could rightly call that evolution. A machine is not genetic. A machine doesn't have to reproduce. An older version of a machine is not at risk of dying off just because newer versions exist. There is not a competition for food.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It will be a new kind of evolution never before seen, the possibility of self-directed evolution. If a machine builds other machines, and revises the plan to adapt, it won't matter that there aren't genes involved.

13. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Isn't evolution really survival of the fittest? If there is no competition to kill off the weak, than how can that be a new form of evolution? I call it engineering. But not evolution.

14. Star_Kindler Registered Member

There would be competition, based on usefulness. Useless models won't last very long.

And as far as making us devolve, no. It's not possible to devolve. We always evolve to meet the demands of our current situation, and in having to interact with AI, we'd probably actually start evolving to keep up.

15. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Of course it's possible to devolve. You simply reassert older genetic traits that have long lost their purpose. Sure, devolution is "evolution" in the sense that you are still going forward. You're assuming A.I. will try to eliminate us. Maybe. You're also assuming A.I. will try to eliminate older versions of itself. Maybe.

16. mackmack Registered Senior Member

if machines can do what man can do then "no one has to work anymore". makes logical sense to build these things.

17. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

The brain would only evolve into a less intelligent form is there were a survival advantage in doing so (or, more precisely, where there was no disadvantage in doing so). In absence of persistent starvation (where a smaller, less resource intensive brain might be useful) it's hard to see why that there would be significant pressure for that to happen.

18. srikar Registered Senior Member

Remember one thing, if there is any machine more and more intelligent than man.
    It can be built only by human intelligence.

19. JuRtLy The JuRtLy Registered Senior Member

what if we used A.I to better ourselves instead of making smart robots... just use it to better human abilities..

20. srikar Registered Senior Member

You are dead true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.