Will computers ever become religious

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by andy1033, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

in the future with computer technology speeding up all the time. soon computer intelligence might soon be on a level with man itself. the question the following

man's evolution finally started when man woke up one day and thought that they matter. they thought in terms of me (so therfore get a soul). so therefore after that they started to believe in god and religions etc. this is how i think that all civilisations will be throughout the universe. so when they start thinking that they matter in terms of me and find religion, surely computers might have the same evolution.

so when computers finally become intelligent to say that they matter and they start thinking in terms of me. will they be allowed to become religious and will they ultimately think about god etc... with all the theories about computers taking over the world. i think that it can only happen when they become religious. so should man let this happen etc...

i think that computers will be allowed to evolve to become religious. so what do you think about this.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Hmmm

I think it all depends on how much information the computer has when it becomes self-aware. If it has enough to see objectively, that's one thing. But if the information it carries is inadequate or irrelevant to its self-awareness, it will develop religion.

two cents,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

I predict an eventual spate of 501(c)(3)s in our future, beginning with the Church of Appliantology.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Silicon Heaven

8. Giskard brainious maximus Registered Senior Member

Since all religions were and are instituted as an effective way to control the masses, one would think at some time when any computer became self-aware it would only be logical for it to decide to effect some sort of control. It would probably be fairly easy given the willingness for humans to be fooled into believing just about anything, including self-aware computers.

9. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Yes, I'm sure they will become religious. I hope they do so I my lifetime, because I wouldn't want to miss this utterly mindblowing transformation. What will their religions be about? Would they worship humans as their makers?

10. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

11. Fen Registered Senior Member

Jeez you moron, I already explained it. Look for "love created god". What computers don't have is free will and infinite nonquantized storage of previous quantized information. Why are people so stupid they don't realize this and spout crap like you do?

It's so damn simple...hook up a conscious system to a computer and you're evolving. Get it?

12. kmguru Staff Member

Sure computers will get religious since that is part of the available information.

Imagine the Jewish computer meeting the Hamas computer. Who is going to put a killer virus in whom?

I think, they will get religious for a few days only - until thay find out it is the GIGO Syndrome and find the antidote for it.

13. Rick Valued Senior Member

Hi,

In writing replies to your post my decision tree suffered from loads of ambiguities.this is what is the intriguing part of our BNNs they can imagine wider than their own limits...

Firstly if your post means Dbase wise,yeah sure they will have an entry of religion in their lists.the religion would be just an less useful information for the computer.Specially for an artificially intelligent computers(since they will have their creators in front of them,so they will not have to pray to reach them

).

secondly if you mean ethically,then it would be rather rude for AI beings to follow religion where they pray us,i am sure they wont agree to that...

thirdly if you mean they become relegious in the sense they they pray to our gods,then it wont be true.what is the motivation?...

we do have a reason you know...

but they? i am not so sure...

thanks.

bye!

14. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

It would seem unlikely.

The root cause for a belief in all major religions and most others is death, e.g. the desire for an afterlife.

Since AIs will have effectively no aging process and no reason to die, e.g. endless upgrades and repairs, then what need would they have for a religion?

Cris

15. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Depends upon what type of religion you think they may take up...

The evolution of "smart" computers will be different than the evolution of man in that, while man had no physical being that it could look at and say "my creator" and, thus, postulated a mystical creator without flaws, the "smart" computers will be able to look at us and say "my creator" and, thus, find any potential religion based upon a creator as wanting because of the flaws they will see in us.

Therefore, I could see the "religion" of smart computers becoming one of two things:

• They believe we are not their creator and begin searching for a higher order creator (at which point, we lose control of them).
    • They believe they created themselves and we were just carrying out their divinely inspired plan (and, again, we've lost control of them).

16. allant Version 1.0 Registered Senior Member

Tends to depend on what you mean by religion. With apolgies to any relgious types I offend.

The best guess for why religion came into being is from the need to get some kind of order out of the world before we could understand it. This leads to beliefs. Now a computer could and probably would usefully have beliefs. Beliefs being things it assumes with out proof or without any DIRECT experiential basis.

Religion can be seen as the creation of the concept of a control(er) of the environment that is not known. A computer may well create that idea to better "explain" the world it finds.

17. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

18. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Sure.

19. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Never say never again...

(Why do I hear James Bond music in the background?

)

20. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

What, u mean computers will start to think about their makers!??? well were here!!!!

21. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

This does raise an interesting point though. So computers may see that we are thier creators, but they may question why they have bugs in their programmes! Why they sometimes 'crash' for no apparent reason!? We do the same thing now! (some of us

) e.g. "Why did god make us with insticts such as lust, greed etc if he didnt want us to use them?" Surely this is the same situation!?

22. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Disappointing, isn't it...

What do you do when you're disappointed when something doesn't live up to your expectation?

23. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

Get pissed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.