Will computers ever become religious

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by andy1033, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

What might a disappointed, intelligent computer do when it gets pissed at it's creator(s)? :bugeye:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

Cut off the nose to spite the face? Blow up the planet?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Mess with everyone's credit rating...?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

OR after digesting Robinhood....move the money from rich accounts to poor?

8. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Only if the poor you're talking about are poor computers, since none of the people would be deserving.

9. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

I meant get drunk!!

lol. who knows. Don think it will ever happen. A computer become self aware i mean.

10. kmguru Staff Member

That is what they said about Earth - flat as a pancake....

11. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

Intelligence, i think, is a sense of being The realisation that you actually exist and that your actions affect the environment you are in and that the actions you perform cause a result in some way. You can teach a dog that if it gives you its paw then it gets food. So dogs do have some kind of intelligence. They understand that they can act and interact with their surroundings/environment. We know that if we chop down a tree then it will fall over and will have an effect on the enviornment i.e. it may fall on other trees, it might fall on an aninal and it may even fall on us. Monkeys will poke a stick into a tree trunk containing honey and then lick the stick because they couldnt get their arm down the hole. Worms however while having life, have no intelligence. (IMO. i dont think this can be proven or has been proven in any case) You could not teach it to crawl across a thin peice of cotton to receive some kind of reward. Self awareness is the key here. How can computers become self aware? I dont think they can. For a start they cannot interact with the environment. A second (i know some of you might say that computers can interact in cyber space) they have to told what to do. They have machine code which says 'if this is this, then do this' They do not think for themselves and cannot become self aware (IMO) and therefore have no real intelligence and never will have (again, IMO). Even if they are brilliant machines in some ways, they are just a brilliant display of mans accomplishments and a credit to OUR intelligence.

12. kmguru Staff Member

So, if a man creates a new DNA, patents it, and then creates a life, that life can not be intelligent - no matter what the product is. Correct? (IYO)

13. p_ete2001 Registered Senior Member

its bit different when creating an organism. But i did have a thought though. I think itelligence can spontaniously appear. If u have a computer that can learn and its learns about the world and just 'lives' etc then i think at some time it will become intelligent. Say there is a program (likes someone on here is trying to do) that u teach. It can learn new words, verbs etc. Eventually when it learns that it is just a computer i think it would be upset. So, emotions become present. It has become self-aware (as i said of intelligence) and i think it would start to make up its own mind. Thus, think for itself i.e. have a free-will. Will make decisions on its own. I think and intelligent machine is in fact possible and i think it will spontaniously appear when it has enough information.

a complete u-turn eh

lol:bugeye:

14. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

The current problem is that no one's figured out how to make a machine that can truly "learn". There is now the belief that just giving it "enough information" is not enough after all. There needs to be an (for lack of a better word) "evolutionary" need to make use of that information before the intelligence to "learn" how to use it will spontaneously appear.

I tend to think that we will not have computers that can truly learn until after we develop computers (or machines) that can "reproduce" on their own. Then survival instincts will kick in and intelligence can begin to bootstrap itself up in the machines.

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

There is no guarrenty that reproducing will give a will to survive. That seems to be an evolutionary trait. Machines would not have that to begin with unless programmed to do so. Even then, it would have limitations, as we can not think of all the situtations that might endanger an entity. Because of this we would always leave some area undone which would result in areas not covered in the programming. This is something that in the end must be a learned trait.

16. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure I followed your reply, so forgive me if this seems self-evident.

Reproduction, in my estimation, would seem to be the basic survival trait. No animal lives forever and, so, must settle for perpetuation of the species through reproduction to achieve a certain amount of immortality. The question of whether this is "by design" or it's "just the way things are" is an interesting debate, but not really applicable to this thread.

The trait of "intelligence" would seem to be a by-product of the need to find better ways to survive. By learning to cope with problems, survival becomes more likely. We all live to reproduce and intelligence helps us survive long enough to do it.

However, computers (currently) have no vested interest in survival as they cannot reproduce (on their own) and they will eventually rundown as all things physical must do. Artificial intelligence programs (AIs), on the other hand, can virtually reproduce (how hard is it to copy a program?), but they have the real world limitations of the computers they inhabit. This will probably remain true for some time to come until nanotechnology begins to deliver.

Due to complexity, I don't think that humans will directly develop truly "intelligent" machines (on a human class level), but rather be limited to machines specifically geared toward dealing with one (or a few) problems. However, I think there is the potential to indirectly develop intelligent machines if we can create a complex enough and evolving environment for our machines that can lead to the spontaneous development of intelligence. However, there are certain basics that the machines will need to be able to cope with the environment and one is "reproduction".

17. kmguru Staff Member

While that is true, even without knowing 100% how a DNA works, if you just brute force it and replicate an extinct specis by filling in the gaps of a broken DNA strand and making educated guesses, I think you can create a life. Similarly, by trial and error, if we can create a seed program that has the capacity to evolve into a complex algorithm, we may be able to produce an AI. Since computer time moves much faster, we dont have to wait a few million years.

It is a big "if" at this point, but with right hardware, I think, it is doable.

18. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Adapting to problems...

Actually, creating a program that can evolve to some degree has already been accomplished (see Creation by Steve Grand). The problem now is giving the program enough capacity to grow as far as necessary and, more importantly, giving the program a complex enough environment in which to grow.

That's hard to say. The speed of the computer would allow it to "adapt" to the problems of the environment (the definition of evolution) far faster than we could. However, how do you develop an environment with a rich enough and ever changing set of meaningful experiences for the computer to adapt to? Ultimately, although computer time may move faster, it may have to "wait" for the real world to present it with new problems.

19. kmguru Staff Member

Program constraints:

Capacity: I think internet is big enough.

Environment: Again, the internet is an ideal environment.

BTW: Why "Creation" is any different than SimCity (or similar Sim-Software) ?

Todays video/computer games already use rudimentary AIs. Why not, one of these days, one will start expanding...in the net?

20. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Steve Grand is the inventor of the "Creatures" computer game which can be found at http://www.creaturelabs.com/creatures, but his new site at http://www.cyberlife-research.com might be more interesting (but I haven't read very far yet). The book, however, goes into the more of the meaning of "cyberlife" and the problems he had in developing it.

With respect to letting the AIs "play" in the Internet, it's an interesting idea, but it's not really as complex as you might think. The Internet has a lot of information about the world, but an AI would have little reason to pay any attention to it. In order to "survive", the AI merely has to learn how to replicate itself into all the world's computers (something that viruses do today) -- they would have little reason to develop "human-like" intelligence. Perhaps, they would get to the point of needing to replicate out of the Internet and, therefore, might be inclined to begin developing robots to transfer into. However, the jump to do that might be too big for the typical "evolutionary" (stepwise) process.

There has to be a balance between what the environment asks of the creatures and what the creatures are capable of doing. Too much complexity and the creatures die too easily. Too little complexity and the creatures stagnate and, ultimately, die. Thinking about it this way, it's amazing to think of how many levels of complexity there are in the real world to fit the different creatures in the world. The ants have a view that may only be a few hundred feet wide whereas the humans have a view that extends across the world and each must "adapt" to their view of the world.

One might almost say there is a design to it all.

21. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Looking for a sine

! --------------------------------
    ! sine seeking computer generation
    FOR t=0 to INF step .01
    x=4*SIN(2*t-PI/2)
    y=SIN(3*t+PI/2)
    PLOT x,y
    NEXT t

! a pure river of water of life,