Will humans evolve further?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by grazzhoppa, Aug 4, 2002.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Elephants are virtually bald.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

How high are you right now? I mean its a interesting wonderment to say the least but do you have a proposed mechanism for how global warming causes baldness?

I'm going to say this now, I have not change in the last 5 years, so maybe I'm wrong?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

Higher temperatures leads to higher humidity and a better microclimates for ectoparasites, which leads to an advantage of having less body hair?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

and how many cases of human baldness are cause by mange, and how the hell does that become a genetically selected, you can't transmit acquired boldness to the next generation!

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Having less hair would lead to fewer parasites and thus greater fitness or reduced disease... Of course, elephants can get away with this because their large size makes them less volnerable to cold.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

what parasites? We are talking people here with technology to do away with parasites.

10. saiyanajay Registered Member

If we are lucky a brainy guy may come visit our time 1,00,000 years from future wearing all kind of tech stuff. Lets ask him. Time machine is theoretically possible, ya know...

Anyways, good question... I have been thinking of it recently...
    May be an epidemic can sweep us all out, so quick that it may kick our ass outta this world even before we know what hit us, or a huge meteor can hit us, etc... A lucky few might survive, leading to a world where natural selection triumph and accelerate our evolution.

There is another possibility... the epidemic I told can be created by a group of terrorists who already made an antidote for them.(film---transporter 3)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Xylene Valued Senior Member

I'd say that Humanity has a bit of evolving to do yet--physically, there are a few things that could be A) streamlined B) eliminated. We're an unfinished canvas, you might say. As for social evolution, one can only live in hope

12. kmguru Staff Member

I agree...there is room for improvement. We should be able to learn fast and spaek multiple languages very easily. We should assimilate information much faster and have total recall...etc...

13. Saquist Banned Banned

I doubt there will be to much more genetic forward progress.
    The method we're implementing for survival is destroying the planet.
    The planet is somewhat crucial for the survival of man.

14. saiyanajay Registered Member

It is sure that we will degrade physically and improve mentally. I don't think it will take lakhs of years, but around 25,000 to 35,000 years. Fossil of ancestors of Homo sapiens like the neanderthals have been found which are around 30,000 years old. If there is such difference between the two in so much years, we can expect changes in ourselves in the future.

check out neanderthal in wikipedia.

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

We are "evolving", but you could say that we are actually getting weaker, since technology more and more is rendering fitness obsolete

As spidergoat said, we are moving toward hairlessness.

However, I think Homo sapien will be the last species of Human. Technologicaly enhancement is going to replace biology.

16. kmguru Staff Member

I wonder if there is any difference between a child from 2000 years ago and today, if we put them in the same environment. I think the logistics are the same, only technology has changed....

17. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Indeed so, kmguru--I wonder how people will be looking at this same question 2000 years from now.

18. nickmoir Registered Member

i agree

that is what i see too the more we control our own enviroment the less we need to evolve and rather society as a whole seems to be evolving in reverse but on the other hand i found this web site with alot of people who think diffrent like me that gives me hope becouse in my day to day life most people think my observations like this are nuts and dumb and i believe they think on level below what i understand this is very frustrating at times

19. If everyone thought this way we would die out because we wouldn't keep our spieces going. We would simply become extinct.

P'S. sorry to bring this topic back to life but it is actually the topic that made me discover this awsome forum.While googling the question. Also, will we evolve or develope in the mind so we can use the other 90% of it or evolve it to be even more powerful?

20. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

yes, but intelligence is not necessary to procreate in this society, so im afraid the future looks bleak for human evolution.

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

We already use 100% of our brains. Evolution would not allow it to be any other way.

Only if you think it should be evolution in a particular direction. And evolution doesn't have directions.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  22. wait, you mean the saying that we only use 10% of our brain isn't true? If so, how so?

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

It is not true look it up. Our brains are modular as such one part does on function another part does another, at any one time you may be idling at 10% as your just sitting their watching TV or meditating or something, but lets say your taking an entrance exam, now your using maybe 50%, though your not moving around much so your cerebellum would be idle until you need to move the pencil. Lets say your having a seizure, now your using 100% as all your modules are active and overloading your thulmus and corpus callosum. Over the day of doing things you using 100% of your brain, but I can hardly think of any activity that would require you to use 100% of your brain at once, maybe while doing gymnastics while computing calculus and reciting a story told to you by your grandmother as a child.