Will quantum physics prove the existence of God?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by moving, Jun 14, 2003.

1. moving Registered Senior Member

By “God” I mean an omnipresent all knowing consciousness.

I’m not an expert but I think String theory suggests nonlocality and multiple dimensions.
    Nonlocality sounds like omnipresence to me.
    Gravity warps our space/time (our dimension). In order for gravity to affect our dimension wouldn’t it have to exists outside of it? This would mean gravity is a connection between dimensions. Could our brains have some connection to other dimensions that gives us a conscious awareness?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Nonlocality allows particles to exist 'smeared out' over an area rather than in a specific place, but it doesn't mean that the particle exists everywhere.
    Why do you assume this?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. moving Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm not talking about a particle, but the connections between the particle and something else. There must be a connection if we can observe the particle.

Then how does gravity warp space?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2003
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CHRISCUNNINGHAM The Ethereal Paradigm Registered Senior Member

Gravity is theorectically the Effect of space/time being warped, not the cause.

However electromagnetism is considered, based on sting theory, to be waves/ripples in the 5th dimension, so yes it does in fact suggest that something, or someone is propogating those ripples.

8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

But does this imply god?

9. Canute Registered Senior Member

As far as I know non-locality means that the particle may exist anywhere, which is pretty much equivalent to everywhere.

Unless I've worked it out wrong then it seems logically inevitable that if space is curved in another dimension, as is generally thought, then whatever it is that causes the curvature must exist at least partly in that other dimension, as otherswise it could have no effect in that dimension. Whatever it is must therefore exist partly beyond space-time.

10. Xev Registered Senior Member

Uh, no it doesn't. Look at Kaluza-Klien theory.

moving:
    Our brains (according to Kaluza Klien) ARE part of a 11 dimensional universe.

How does any of this have anything to do with God?

Canute:
    +4 dimensional theories of spacetime imply that spacetime IS +4 dimensional - thus there is no need to postulate something beyond spacetime.

11. Siddhartha Registered Senior Member

There are more dimensions than you thought. However, none of this even suggests, never mind requires, the existence of God.

12. moving Registered Senior Member

Let’s suppose there are connections between dimensions that we don’t understand. (not hard to imagine, but hard to prove) Now imagine your brain is not just a bunch of neurons firing according to the laws of physics but that it actually has free will and self awareness. Where does it get these attributes? I just can’t imagine that the conscious mind evolved from a bunch of seemingly dead matter.

If there is some type of non-local connection between everyone’s personal knowledge/soul wouldn’t that imply that we are all a small part of an omnipresent all knowing consciousness?

13. Nasor Valued Senior Member

No. It would imply nothing more than that there was a connection between everyone. How do you jump from 'everyone is connected' to 'there is an omnipresent, omnipotent being holding everything together'?

Even if it could be showed this connection existed, it doesn't imply that there is any sort of consciousness behind it.

14. moving Registered Senior Member

Nasor,
    My definition of god didn't include "being"

15. Canute Registered Senior Member

You're quite right - I should have said beyond 4D space-time.

16. atreides1977 Registered Member

Our universe

In my opinion no quantim physics will not prove that there is an all knowing "figure" out there. if the universe is everything as einstien suggested then this "god" would be outside our universe to know allbut because our universe is everything then there is nothing outside it so "god" is not there.

others say that there are other universes out there but frankly it depends on your definition of the word universe.

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

moving:
    The dimensions are connected. According to Weinburg et alia, the extra dimensions 'collapsed' to a size that is too small to be detected.

That is your problem and conceit.
    'Dead matter'? Brain tissue is living matter, not dead matter.

No.

18. Canute Registered Senior Member

Yes, but that tissue is made of dead matter, as moving said.

19. Xev Registered Senior Member

Canute:
    "Dead matter"? How can "dead matter" be alive?

Think outside the box.

20. moving Registered Senior Member

XEV,
    I said “I just can’t imagine that the conscious mind EVOLVED from a bunch of seemingly dead matter.” Like from the primordial soup.

21. Xev Registered Senior Member

Your inability to believe it reflects only your inability to let reason supersede education.
    It does not mean that consciousness did not or could not have evolved.

22. ubermich amnesiac . . . Registered Senior Member

damnit xev. i visit your forum and what are you discussing? quantum physics!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Canute Registered Senior Member

You misunderstood. I was agreeing with Moving. Perhaps I should have added 'according to science'. I wasn't expressing my opinion.