Will Religion or god(s) be the down fall of Humanity ?

Discussion in 'Comparative Religion' started by river, Aug 22, 2013.

1. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

You quoted me and then ignored what I said. Atheists can be HUMAN centered. Did you see it that time? An atheist can treat people with kindness because he has empathy, because they are people.

A religionist, on the other hand, can also treat people badly because some god told him to.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mazulu Banned Banned

What's wrong with looking for God "in the gaps"? Sure we find a lot of God's automation. But so what!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°) Registered Member

I have yet to read one theologian who does this.

I never said that a supercomputer exists. I used it as an analogy. You'll have to reread what I wrote.

I meant to imply that there are different kinds of atheists, and that one particular sort (the materialists) doesn't have a monopoly on the term.

When the discussion go from the abstract? Or is this an insult?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Balerion Banned Banned

Then you haven't read any theologians. Anyone who argues in favor of Creationism is employing a God of the Gaps argument.

You'll have to look up the definition of "analogy." If you can't make a reasoned case as to why anyone should accept the existence of the supercomputer, then your analogy is of no use.

Didn't you claim to be a member of MENSA?

They've never claimed exclusive rights to the term. If you want to know why other kinds of atheists are ignored, you should ask the ones who are ignoring them.

Want to try that again in English, Face?

I'm just curious as to why "materialism" isn't synonymous with reality, since that's what it is. Unless you know of some evidence to suggest otherwise.

8. Mazulu Banned Banned

So what do you call the parts of reality that are not material? Material means particulate substance or particles of the standard model. There are many things that exist and are part of reality that are not part of the standard model. For example, in what way is the space-time continuum "material"? Or dark matter? Or wave-functions?

9. Balerion Banned Banned

Do you even know what those things are? The way you phrase the question--as well as your history of inane posting--suggests you don't.

10. Mazulu Banned Banned

So your response is an ad hominem attack? I guess that means you don't have a logical response. OK. I guess that means that deep down you have to admit that there are components of reality that are not physical or material. That is my overall theme and my point.

11. Balerion Banned Banned

No, I never said that. I said you aren't qualified to have this discussion.

12. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

And you are? What are your qualifications?

13. Mazulu Banned Banned

That's a red-herring dodge. Just admit the truth. Admit the truth. Parts of reality are not physical, not material. There are parts of reality that are caused by invisible/undetectable mechanisms. Admit the truth.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

There is no truth in that whatsoever. Your ridiculous assertion is driven entirely by your ridiculous religious beliefs, which also are not any kind of truth.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That shows an incredible ignorance of what science says about the world around us. Space-time, dark matter and wave-functions are are things that exist in reality, it is your ridiculous assertions of invisible and undetectable boogeymen and souls that have never been shown to exist in reality.

16. Balerion Banned Banned

Where has Face run off to? He swore he could easily deconstruct atheism, yet after one failed attempt, poof! He's gone.

17. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

This is facey "(° ͜ʖ͡°)"

18. Mazulu Banned Banned

When you say that ALL of reality is material, what do you mean by "material"? Please define that term.

Where oh where is Baleron and his belief system? I have my sledge hammer ready.

19. wellwisher Banned Banned

I think the title is backwards. It should read will atheism cause the downfall of humanity.

For example, during the Cold War, humans were on the brink of nuclear destruction. These weapons were invented by science, who we are always told are mostly atheists, correct? The USA has separation of church and state to shut out religion. While the Soviet union was openly atheist. How about manmade global warming? If you believe in that stuff, it could cause mass destruction due to floods and disasters. Again, this was not caused by religion, correct but science, technology and the government which separates out religion.

Atheism is supposed to be rational yet reason is rarely seen because atheism is often irrational and deceptive.

20. Balerion Banned Banned

Do you need a dictionary, or simply an education? Everything in the universe is made from matter.

Feel free to make one point that doesn't require unfounded belief in the invisible.

21. Mazulu Banned Banned

What is the space-time continuum made of? What are the laws of physics and the physics constants made of? What about wave-functions and dark matter? The Higgs field is on right on the edge of matter and spirit.

What enforces the physics constants? Because they do exist.

22. Mazulu Banned Banned

Hey Balaron! I am smashing your belief... in materialism!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Balerion Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yep. Do you think a predominantly religious scientific community wouldn't have invented the Bomb? Because there are plenty of religious zealots currently trying to get their hands on it right now. Religion certainly doesn't seem to be a rational or calming influence.

The separation of Church and State is a concept that arose out of the necessity to protect the religious minorities from the religious majorities.

Sure, but Stalinism was a religion unto itself. Just because it wasn't Catholicism or Protestantism doesn't mean it wasn't faith-based.

Yet it's the religious right that wants to pretend it doesn't exist. Hmm...

Baseless.