Will the meek Hinduism survive?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by UltiTruth, Feb 4, 2003.

1. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

Welcome Airavata!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ne1fl0w5 Registered Member

I am a new member in this forum and I have read thru a lot of threads relating to Hinduism and they are really good.

What I wanted to add to this thread (if it still alive) is that:

Hinduism as a philosphy will survive b'cos that is the only way things are going to progress - basically hinduism in itself gives everybody a chance to think freely as it is not bound by any "Religion" (note the quotes).

Hinduism as a religion will remain and not die out as it is pretty advanced compared to other religions. i.e. Hindu religion had time to fine tune over a vast period of time and reached almost perfect state. Of course some people have used it for their own misuse.
    Tell me one religion that has not done the wrong things.

The most important part in the present times are this:
    1. We have to be proud about being a Hindu.
    2. Some christians think that one day Christianity will rule India

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. These people have got to be explained why they are so wrong.
    3. Explain Hindu / Hinduism to the next generations and to this generation. You would be aghast to know that not many people in India know what is Hindu / Hinduism.

I am sure we can take extreme action and we should take in some cases.
    I believe Lord Krishna was right in saying "Protect Dharma". If it has to be done, it has to be done. I have no sympathies for other religions but only sympathy for them.

-N

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

I have not been following this thread, but I do not agree the title of the thread, that suggests Hinduism is meek. I think over 1 billion people ascribe to this faith, and recently it is gaining acceptance and influence on western culture too(e.g. Matrix) so it most certainly isn't meek.

Hindu mysticism is also greatly appreciated amongst physicists. I personally find it's philosophy of Maya(illusion) reincarnation, higher levels of consciousness, the cyclic universe, the soul, the ether, multiple universes, extrasolar planets and extraterretrial life, and it's objective outlook of life, fascinating and astonishing. Hinduism was eons ahead of it's time and that is why it is becoming more accepted today, because it a religion of the future.

Not only will Hinduism survive, it is destined to flourish. I am sure you will not accept my view, but Hinduism is probably not a terrestrial religion, on the grounds that it is too pro-scientific; too civilized and intelligent; that it's doubtful, that 10,000+ years ago, stone-age man would think of something so rich and advanced, that it would even fascinate modern scientists.

I do not wish to sound like I am putting Hinduism on a pedestal, but the war-like, and overly deluded, Islam and Christianity, are much more like a religion man would devise.

I am not Hindu btw, so I have no reason to romanticize it, simply too make it look good.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

crazymikey:
    Great post crazymikey.

...but Hinduism is probably not a terrestrial religion, on the grounds that it is too pro-scientific; too civilized and intelligent; that it's doubtful, that 10,000+ years ago, stone-age man would think of something so rich and advanced, that it would even fascinate modern scientists.

Or could it be that we are assuming 10,000 years was stone age, everywhere on the earth?

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, its just that we're quiet. Buddhism is flourishing in the West. Buddhism can be understood as as offshoot of Hinduism, it was those parts of Hinduism that could be exported and understood in China, modified, of course, by Buddha's own insight. Aggressive religions will be hurt by their own aggression. Who said "the meek will inherit the earth"?. Their "softness" is their strength, nothing should be done apart from making them known and available. Walk into any Border's Books, and there will be thousands of books on eastern religion, buddhism, taoism, zen, shamanism, and yoga.

I think the question is, should they get political, and I think not. We should not adopt the values of the dominating, oppressive, patriarchal culture, it is an antidote to that. Anyway, who cares if they survive? The essential experience of enlightenment is universal, these eastern religions are simply methods, along with some mythology to spice it up.

The caste system is unique to India, perhaps this explains why Hunduism as such does not export well.

9. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

Thank you Ultitruth,

It's very possible that an advanced civilization existed at that time, although it would seem odd for it to be overwhelmingly advanced, while the rest of the world is still in the stone age. The fact that Hinduism speaks of extraterrestrial civilizations, it's called gods, and extrasolar planets, is a good indication, that there may really have been ET contact in the past and that would explain why Hinduism was so much more advanced.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  10. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

The caste system isn't an essential part of hinduism anymore. It did have its use in ancient times, whereby each person knew his/her own position in society. It has however, long since outlived its usefulness. Even though discrimination based on caste is banned in India, it's still being propogated by the so called upper class elite in order to maintain their social status. The caste system is quite pointless in this day and age, not to mention humiliating for the 'lower castes' - shudras.

11. kmguru Staff Member

Religious Class, Warrior Class, Working Class - Babylon 5 - set in a futuristic advanced society. Interesting!

The original -ism, Hinduism could morph and survive for a long long time....

ET - Come home. May be Atlantis was in the west at the time and got destroyed during the Mahabharat war! Something to speculate....

When West thought Earth is the center of the Universe and flat, the Hindus dreamed up other planets, advanced civilizations, space ships, replicators, advanced weapons etc. Makes you wonder....

12. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Actually Buddha was born and did preach in India till his last. Buddha denounced ritualistic and theological part of hinduism and retained its philosophical aspect. We could find close resemblence between Advaitic vedanta and Buddhism.

13. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

It sure does

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The West has been handicapped (until recently) by lack of relationship with psychoactive plants. The Indian cultures had the mysterious soma, and were influenced by magic mushrooms. I think this is the origin of the worship of cows. Shrooms grow in cow shit.

15. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

Soma Juice was drunk by the gods to increase their strength I think, so it's believed.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

sure, the gods

17. rahul_sharma Registered Senior Member

"HINDUISM".....will never die....because its eternal rule that truth never dies. "HINDUISM" is more that around 6000 years old....and after so much of attack from all sides ...still 1/6th of humanity is hindu and that % is increasing everyday.....followers of this "universal truth" may increase or decrease but because "HINDUISM" is universal truth ....there is no question weather it will survive or not ....

18. robtex Registered Senior Member

Hinduism has one thing going for it and one thing going against it. The biggest thing going for it is that it is very flexable to a changing society. The hindu saying many paths one truth allows it the flexablity to reach a wide and diverse audiance and allows it to meld better as society changes over time.

The thing going against it today is geography. The largest concentrated population of Hindus is in India. India if you don't know is one of the most crowed aread on the earth today with a population of over one billion people constricted to an area about 1/3 the size of the US

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/in.html#People

The population according to the link above says that hindus make up 81 % of the population.

Bangledesh

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/bg.html#People
    141 million

and pakastan

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/pk.html#People

which are primarly muslim, according to the CIA source above 83 % and 97 % respectivly annexed sections of the country takein a total area of about 25 % of the land with it.

While middle eastern muslims don't seem to live with other religions (I said middle eastern muslims not all muslims) very well making the split a long term peace project the hindu religion is concentrated into one geographical which keeps the religion from moving across the globe at a pace that other religions have enjoyed. Although 81 % of a billion is a lot of hindus and that may well make up for it.