Will the US and North Korea go to war within the next 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by joepistole, Aug 15, 2017.

?

Will the US and North Korea go to war with each other within the next few weeks?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    93.8%
  1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It would be madness for Kim Jong Un to provoke a war with the United States. It would be a fundamentally self-destructive act.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. geordief Valued Senior Member

Do the leaders not imagine that they can find refuge abroad if NKorea and its inhabitants are destroyed? After all Adolf the Noble (is Goodwinism a bit passe post Trump?) felt that his own German people were not worthy of his ambition.

It would seem reasonable for that shithead (the NKorean one) to keep his head down as his aim is surely 90% achieved but why expect reasonable behaviour now when that Rubicon was crossed long ago when they subjected their own people to the degradation all know of "just because they could"?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well it appears the shit head (i.e. the Korean one) has yielded for the time being. It appears China has gotten serious with sanctions and has exhibited some control over the Korean shit head. So it appears war is off the table, at least for now. But with two volatile narcissists, things can quickly change. It wouldn't take much to set the shit head in Washington off.

8. CptBork Valued Senior Member

There's no reason to believe Mr. Kim is sane enough to care, no reason to bet our lives on his sanity. The US should tell China to put a leash on its pitbull, and if they refuse to comply in full, there should be a total embargo on all Chinese imports and exports, and an embargo on anyone else who tries to bypass it. Too bad US voters chose Trump to save the world...

9. CptBork Valued Senior Member

If China wants its neighbour to have nukes and continues supplying the necessary economic assistance and technical components, why shouldn't Taiwan, South Korea and Japan get to have them too? Either that or an economic embargo; China wants a golden empire of its own so they can feel superior to the Big Bad West (and to justify continued Fascist Party rule), they won't listen to anything else at this point.

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I believe it is inevitable unless the American people stand up and immediately remove Trump from office.
    His behavior is deteriorating significantly, his desire to avoid convention has increased, and his "why not attitude" has been demonstrated on many occasions.
    He will launch a pre-emptive against NK and he is simply deliberately building the pseudo justification for it.
    The USA is currently supporting the genocide in Yemen by selling weapons to the Saudi regime. The USA is about to commit genocide in NK.

Trump simply has to be removed from being in a position of authority and quarantined from the media, especially his Tweeter feed or any social media access.
    His behavior at the UN was utterly deplorable.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I agree Trump's behavior at the UN was utterly deplorable. But that's Trump, deplorable. The American people will not stand up and immediately remove Trump. We are a rule of law nation. Trump's party controls all branches of government. It's highly unlikely his party, the Republican Party, will rise up and oust Trump anytime soon if ever. Unfortunately, we will have to live with Trump. I don't expect Trump will be removed from officer before 2019 at the earliest. It's possible Mueller, may complete his investigation before then and if that happens, it's possible Trump might be removed from officer sooner. But I wouldn't count on it. I wish circumstances were not what they are, but my wishing will not change our circumstances.

I'm sure Trump's not bothered by genocide. But I doubt the US will commit genocide in North Korea. The US may well destroy the Kim regime and his military, but I doubt it would target civilians. It would be a very bad day for Kim's military and for Kim. Kim and Trump are both narcissistic kooks.

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

well then the war ( if you can call it that) is inevitable IMO

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

War may be in the offing, but I don't think it is inevitable. I think China has some influence over Kim. I'm hoping China will exert some control over Kim. War benefits no one, China included. If Kim detonates a nuclear weapon on the high seas as threatened, that's a whole other ballgame.

14. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

The criteria set by Trump has been the handing over of any nukes and the cessation of NK nuke program. Kim wont do either... he will see his people starve to death before he surrenders his sovereign rights.
    Trump is winding things up with seriously provocative fly overs in international waters near NK hoping that Kim will give him an excuse.
    In the end Trump already has his excuse....NK has nukes and missiles and there is nothing Trump can do about it. ( except war of course)
    Trump better makes sure he destroys all of NK nukes and artillery in the first strike because Seoul is toast if not.
    "Totally destroy North Korea" means what exactly?
    To me it means "over kill" to prevent any retaliation ... civilians, capital cities with everything included...genocide.
    "Fire and fury like the world has never seen before" may not be just crazy rhetoric or bluff.
    and indicates he fully intends to use the nuclear option on NK. IMO
    The only way out is for a popular USA wide uprising and have Trump removed from office. That is not likely so war is inevitable...IMO

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Trump knows the stakes. He knows Kim will not surrender his nukes. I think Trump is either inadvertently or intentionally taunting Kim in an attempt to cause Kim to cross the line. I doubt Trump thinks much about his actions. I don't think Trump is capable of much planning and strategizing. He's mostly a shoot from the hip kind of guy. I think Trump's taunts are driven by his narcissism. Detonating a nuke on the high seas would be sufficient cause to nuke the Kim administration. Trump's a wildcard, and he's not dealing with a full deck. At the moment he is being restrained by those around him, but that may not always be the case. It's a very dangerous time.

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

see my edit... sorry for that

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yeah, Trump might use the nukes. I would be surprised if he didn't. But again, I don't think he will target civilians. Trump's generals don't want to become criminals.

18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

ANZUS will be invoked and I will be preparing flowers at our war memorial "Lest we forget" for the inaction of a complacent USA population and a deranged POTUS.

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

If I was that nutter Kim I would be sending some of my nukes out of the country by land or sea right now ( if not already). Kim has already metaphorically won this war even if NK is wiped out.
    Kim might be crazy but he is definitely not stupid...

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Not trying to be smart Joe but:
    Did any of the generals get charged/convicted with war crimes or crimes against humanity after they wiped out Hiroshima or Nagasaki?

21. Xmo1 Registered Senior Member

The World Wrestling Federation does not offer post grad sociology classes. It only espouses one way to solve a problem: total and utter defeat of your enemy - about the same method offered by Gen. Schwarzkoph in Desert Storm (overwhelming force). Not good for the society, but they really have little interest in social systems, except the economic systems which today rewards arms dealers. I wonder what Detroit would look like in a state of ruin. Oh wait, that's economic ruin. Wrong kind of ruin. Let's see: What is the best strategy to cause utter defeat, and sell boat loads of arms? A war. I was on military leave, taking an elevator in Chicago, and heard two suits laughing it up about the tanks they were selling. How did that affect me? Didn't matter. My leave ended, and I went back to work. Pretty sure they were not overly concerned about the people operating the tanks. If anything bad happened the tanks would still be under warranty.

22. sculptor Valued Senior Member

OK
    This was started August 15
    I can safely declare, with 100% certainty, that:
    We did not go to war in the following 2 weeks.

23. ForrestDean Registered Senior Member

Ok, so let's say we go to war. What are we going to do about it? Are we going to march into the streets holding signs shouting at their doorsteps? Are we going to yell at our T.V. screen? Are we going to go to McDonald's and order a bacon double cheeseburger? Or maybe watch some reality T.V. and FOX news?

Well, I wouldn't worry about it too much. We always have this too take our minds off of it:

sculptor likes this.