Will we ever be able to simulate the universe?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by garbonzo, Apr 12, 2013.

1. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

On my usual thinking escapades about future science and progression, I like to think about when true virtual reality like you saw a glimpse of in Minority Report and other movies, where fantasy can be "plugged in" directly to the brain so we can see fiction as fact, and other such things...in this same mindset, I wonder if we will ever be able to simulate our universe; so even if we cannot travel back in time, we would be able to do so through VR and actually BE in the past...wherever --and whenever-- you wanted...find out all of the great mysteries of history (nice rhyme) and such.

I realize this is way way future science, but I just wonder if it WILL EVER be possible?

I think that it relies on if our universe can be broken down into "linear" math with no paradoxes or randomness. If it's true what they say how our brains are just effected by biological responses and cause and effect, and that we actually do have a "destiny" if we could figure out the math behind it.

I was thinking though what would happen if this simulation were invented, and someone wanted to look at their future...how would this be possible? Let's say some looked to their future, saw something they didn't like, and changed it. Well that's not possible because then it wouldn't be the future, would it? The future would be changed and the simulation would be wrong, as it didn't predict the future.... It's a paradox.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

I think if we were able to create a universe, the chances that we are the product of that creation goes up by a lot I think. Isn't it like 99.9999% infinitely? As it would go on infinitely, since when we reach the point in time where we can create a universe, it will create the next universe and they will begin their journey to create their universe on and on.

But still, why would we need to create a universe? If we create a life-like AI in a video game, does it suddenly turn alive?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

8. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

9. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

10. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Or you could say it predicted the most probable future.

In Greek stories of old, people would sometimes seek knowledge from an Oracle.
    Now these Oracles were genuine, they predicted the future accurately. The people tried to change their fate, but eventually they failed to do so. The lesson learned is "you can't change your fate". One good example is Oedipus.

11. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

I don't like some of these webcomics because they try too hard to sound philosophical.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Depends on how you define life.

What is Life?

Speaking of VR....

[video=youtube;uzCwczY1jTM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCwczY1jTM[/video]

12. Lady Elizabeth Registered Member

[nonsense]If all particles possess wavestate, and if all wavestate correspondingly interacts in higher dimensionality - perhaps by conducting multi-dimensional Fourier analysis of just one particle, may it be possible to produce a cosmic snapshot, one which might then be extrapolated forwards/backwards like a virtual time machine? - "to see the whole world in a grain of sand" has just been bettered[/nonsense]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  13. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

It's a step in the right direction, but it's still nothing compared to what can be achieved by plugging directly into the brain and talking with it.

14. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

To manipulate stuff in reality you tend to have to control a higher order in things. Like how i assume how 2d objects would of no real effect in 3d world.

So the answer would be you would have to control things at a higher order, if you know what i mean.

15. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

I'd prefer not to have anything mess with my brain.

16. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

What are the odds of that being possible? Travelling to a higher dimension is just inconceivable...

17. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

Suit yourself. Of course there should be safety tests etc, but once that's worked out it should be pretty safe. There are already paralyzed people using these brain wave readers to move cursors on a screen, give speech to, etc. Brain writers would be harder and more complicated, but I'm sure it will come along nicely.

18. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

You answered your own question. The odds are inconceivable.

19. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

No..I said the scenario is inconceivable. You said the odds are inconceivable. I think the odds are near zero.

But who knows, someday we might be travelling in and out of dimensions as easily as boarding a plane.

20. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

If the scenario is inconceivable I think the odds are inconceivable also. That's like asking what are the odds gods exist.

21. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

You're right.

A higher dimension is currently inconceivable.
    The scenario of manipulating it, I believe, is not inconceivable, but conceivably impossible.

But what do I know.

Lee de Forest proclaimed that man would never ever reach the Moon. Then he conveniently died shortly before he was proven wrong.

22. garbonzo Registered Senior Member

This is the right mindset to have and if Lee de Forest had that mindset, he wouldn't have been proven wrong.

23. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

He made that quote in 1957, and died in 61, just eight years before Armstrong's success in 69.

You thought he would've learned his lesson by then, but he didn't