Will you buy electric car?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Oct 21, 2018.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Mine has only required fast charging a few times a year. The rest of the time I just plug it in overnight where it is parked; no waiting for charging.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Benson Registered Senior Member

I bought the car, not the battery.

You would pay for the charge level that you are receiving less the charge in the battery you are giving back. Degrading of batteries would be part of the pricing structure and garages would send older batteries off to be replaced.

Ideally, technology would allow a small lightweight battery with a long capacity and a very short charge time. Until then, swap and go in 5 mins.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

No. Formula 1 is pretty boring as it stands without making it a full size scalextric.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Hmm. Do you claim you bought the car, not the gas tank? Because in reality you bought both.
    A few problems with that.

1) It is very difficult to determine charge level without completely charging and discharging the battery there. That reduces its life by 50% or so.
    2) Even a battery that has a given level of charge will not perform the same as another. An older battery will have a higher ESR - and that means less power available and longer charge times, even if the capacity is still OK.
    Garages would have a VERY VERY strong incentive to keep a marginal battery rather than pay $20K to replace it.
    Until then, 20 minute charges will be the solution people use for long distance EV usage.

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

They already did that. It's a fun race - but about a tenth of the volume.

davewhite04 likes this.
  9. Benson Registered Senior Member

Thank you for all of your solutions, nothing like employing someone that helps you no end.

Sarcasm off.

Yes, you bought the car with no diesel/petrol so you go and fill it up. When you use the fuel, go top it up in a few minutes. Not so with a car, takes ages.

So why not change the battery with a charged one.

Come up with solutions, not problems. These problems mean you just can't be bothered.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

To you, 20 minutes = "ages?" Hmm.
    See above. Sounds like a great idea, doesn't work in reality.
    I have three patents in inductive charging of electric vehicles, and worked on the HALO EV charging program for three years. How about yourself?

11. Benson Registered Senior Member

Is that 20 mins from a house supply.

Apple dumped inductive charging.

And me? I'm still suffering from pessimists.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Nope. 20 minutes from a high power charger.

Do you fill your car from a home gasoline source? Or do you drive to a fuel source?
    Yep. They couldn't make it work. Samsung did. My phone now is wirelessly charged.
    You mean like people who think EV charging and inductive phone charging will never work?

13. Benson Registered Senior Member

I keep a 25lt Jerry Can of diesel in my garage. My mate keeps 3 X 25lt Jerry Cans of fuel in his garage!!

How long does it take to charge from a house mains supply?

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

Do you make it yourself? Or do you get it from a gas station?
    Depends on the charger. From 2 to 6 hours. Never been a problem.

15. Benson Registered Senior Member

I make my diesel by boiling lettuces.

16. Benson Registered Senior Member

How do you do that if the power is off for a week?

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

Use the Secure Power output of my solar inverter. (Or just prepare by charging it; my car has a range of 300 miles, and I can easily make it through a week by being careful how many extra trips I take.)

How do you get gas when all the pumps are out?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  18. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

the average employee can not afford an electric car

they simply do not have that much profit from their wages.

Benson likes this.
  19. Benson Registered Senior Member

Tip the Jerry Can and use a funnel.

The reality is, most people won't be able to afford an electric vehicle, solar panels and convertors.

300/5 = 60 miles a day. That's no good with my job.

20. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

should employees be given government and business subsidized accommodation close to their place of work to save fossil fuels, pollution and loss of profit to the economy and protect the health for people living around roads ?

too much greed in 99% of all societys to do that

21. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

children babys and unborn babys ... forced to breath this poison.
    it cant be solved by making cars that no one can afford to buy and then punishing the poor working class when it is them who are the ones being poisoned by themselves to make money in a society that doesn't have universal health care or social protections.

what would i do as a 1st step ?
    make dedicated motor bike lanes and a dedicated service lane so tow trucks can take away any cars that stop in the service lane or motor bike lane.
    this adding movement allows the ability to access the problem with possible types of solutions.

at the moment it is all selfishness and greed driving the systems and behaviors

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

My DIY Tokamak makes our Prius economical.

23. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Gawdzilla Sama likes this.