WIN 10 install lockup

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stoniphi, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

My main machine runs WIN 7 Professional 64 bit. A couple of years ago, a 'free' WIN 10 upgrade appeared in my updates and urged me to "upgrade" to WIN 10 for "free". It was unable to do that, however, and after 20 attempts, I quit.

I continued along as usual, then noticed my antivirus and my system cleanup programs were no longer able to function due to a burning necessity to restart so WIN 10 could "finish installing". It couldn't do that, of course, which leaves me with an ever - increasing amount of crap/trash (file butts & fragments etc) and a concern that I may pick something up on the interwebs and not be able to remove it due to the (now infamous) WIN 10 install lockup. I am also unable to download any other updates as well, until I can get that nasty brick from out my updates application.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I Googled for a fix and have found several. None of those worked. Neglecting that Microsoft (one of the Great Evils) has deliberately infected my system with what acts like a virus and has screwed up my machine, do any of us here have a serious method to get rid of this lockup without destroying everything I have on this computer? This includes programs that were downloaded, so I can't just pop the disc back in and reinstall, so if I reinstall WIN 7 over this mess, I lose everything. I believe this is the same thing that will happen if I go ahead and buy WIN 10 and install that POS over everything.

So does anyone have a plan that will actually work to remove this lockup without destroying my system?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Boot from a Linux USB drive with NTFS filesystem tools preloaded.

Mount the partition that has the abortion on it and use something like Google or StackOverflow to find the name of the hive file and instructions, (Registry parts: since Windows is broken, they add more steps.), then edit out the key that locks you up. Make a copy of the original hive file, of course, so you can back out of a disaster.

I know I'm scant on details, but I haven't screwed with M$ crap in years.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

You're quite welcome. Please let me know what you do.

8. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Will do.

9. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Hell, I thought maybe you'd been doing it already...

10. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Mostly in my dreams, unfortunately.....

I am currently doing a bit of an end run around the issue. The main problem was 2 programs that wouldn't work as they were waiting for the WIN 10 upgrade to finish installing. An update got the one back running fine so I am talking to the other to see if they don't have a patch too. That negates the problem as Microsoft quit updating WIN 7 a whiles back and that is all that should be coming through Windows Update anyhow.

11. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Cool, thanks.

12. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

OK, here is the fix for that pesky WIN 10 "upgrade" lockup:

You will need to get and run a free program called "GWX" from

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Here is an instructional video

I have done this and it has returned full functionality to my system, as well as the programs that had problems due to the block. Additionally, I was wrong (again) in thinking that I didn't really need the update function to work. I do, as it gets malware removal tool updates that could not get through until I had cleared the WIN 10 upgrade lockup.

Thanks, Britec!