Windows 10 advantage?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by mathman, Jul 7, 2016.

1. DrKrettin Registered Senior Member

No, it's still Win10, Cortanaless. Come to think of it, that might not be what happened. I upgraded to Win10 on an older computer, and Cortana drove me nuts, popping up with unsolicited drivel. I don't know what I did, but I silenced her. I've recently bought a new computer, and in the set-up it had an option not to use her, which I obviously chose.

I still get a pile of unsolicited crap sometime. It provides me with all kinds of ridiculous stuff, like news headlines, and the temperature in Madrid. WTF? What do I care about the effing temperature in Madrid (1700 km away)? And if I wanted to know the temperature outside my house, I would use the classical method of sticking my head out of the frigging window.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. geordief Valued Senior Member

Enough to drive the ants up the wall

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

DrKrettin likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This is my opinion of Windows, at the moment:

• It does well enough to wonder why Apple would manufacture Windows users, but I can't afford much for Apple gear and loathe both Google and Microsoft phones. I have an iPhone. There are hundreds of photographs on it that I would like, someday, to remove to another computer, intact, at full size. I can't afford much for Apple gear; I use Linux. There is no way in hell those files are coming off that phone onto my laptop. And don't tell me about Wine; presently no software available through Wine works for this.

But there is a Windows device in the house that is up to date. And I don't know why, when I'm trying to find out where the freaking iTunes is—or isn't, as such—Cortana needs to ask me about cups and milliliters, but, you know, it's Cortana, so whatever.

And, you know ... I mean, sure, it's Windows, and all, but I'm still capable of downloading a file.

And wouldn't you know, the installer keeps failing.​

Seriously: I'm sorry, Tim, I just flat out can't afford a Mac right now. What the fuck do I have to do to get these fucking photos off my phone?

And, hey: Satya, what gives, man? At the very moment you have me precisely over a barrel, your operating system just can't deliver on the most basic of expectations. Oh, and don't blame Apple; making sure your OS provides what users actually need has not been on Microsoft's list of priorities since before you got the job.

sculptor likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I might have just broken Windows.

Okay, so ... the iTunes installer finally ran. Thing is, this is a notepad at heart, so it wants to fall asleep every so often.

Like, every thirty seconds.

And now that I sat through the install, keeping the little Nextbook awake, it occurs to me the thing has a hard time recognizing that it's doing something. The file transfer off the phone really is asking a lot.

I might have just broke Windows, though.

More likely the computer.

Let me guess: the ports on phones aren't sufficient to carry power out to a USB drive on the other end of a cable with the proper fitting. (sigh)

Maybe I should break down and carve out a FAT partition on an external.

Still, once I get the data transfer to the Windows box, I need to do it again to a transport drive ... or, you know, I'll try the external, but I'm not up for tampering with the partitions right now.

A'ight. Go see if Windows is surviving.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

In over a week, I still haven't managed to get photos off my iPhone and onto a Windows device.

The latest problem is interesting: There were two allegedly functioning Windows devices in the house. Neither one of them works.

The reason neither of them works, as near as I can tell, is that Windows users do not seem to take care of their computers.

Honestly, it shouldn't be this hard. Right now, I need a Windows machine. And over the course of the last week, I haven't seen one in my house that runs properly.

Look, I don't understand how other Windows users do it, and not a one of them can tell me. I have no idea how people who use Windows take full size photos off their phone. In fact, as near as I can tell, they never do.

I don't want network-compressed, Facebook-suitable denigrations of my photos. I want the photos I took. I want the goddamn full-size files. What the fuck is wrong with the software industry that this should be complicated? No, really, for as many iPhone users as there are in the world, there must be one who can successfully offload full-sized image files to a Windows machine.

I know the score on Linux; I can't afford a new Apple; I have two Windows machines available to me, and neither one of them can fucking function at this point; one of them is all of a couple months old.

I allegedly have all the software I need. It's just that it's on Windows, so none of it actually runs.

The software industry is what it is, but Microsoft is a particularly odious example.

9. DrKrettin Registered Senior Member

It is very simple if you have the cable to connect the phone to the computer. With that connected, the phone shows up in the file explorer as an external drive, and you just copy across.

RADII likes this.
  10. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here, Tiassa, and say that you're suffering from an HCI problem.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Normally, with non-iphone phones, you simply attach the USB cable between phone and PC, ensure phone is unlocked so that the PC will recognise it, and then use Windows explorer to navigate through the phones file system until you find the folder with the raw photo files. Then just drag and drop into a folder on your PC.

But I'm sure you know all that.
    It's a little more convoluted with an iPhone, apparently.
    Try these instructions that a friend swears by.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Actually, it's finally working as simply as it's supposed to.

I figure I must have been reproducing some insanely nitpicky user error a couple days ago when I couldn't make this particular process work; I've decided to blame the NextBook power settings for being unable to finish a basic software installation without trying to sleep. Today's trouble was brought to us by Users Who Never Close Apps. I have no idea how much of what I blew up for whom when I finally got that thing to power up, because the first thing that happened, see, was that it failed to wake up, and thus powering on was a forced shutdown.

Once upon a time, computing was supposed to be as easy as simply doing something.

To the one, it's hilarious listening to the iPhone acknowledging Windows over and over again, but, yeah, Photos can see the phone, pulled the pictures without falling asleep, and appears to be properly writing them to a FAT thumb drive my lovely Linux will read jus'fine. Why does it take a week? And a half?

And no, I wasn't simply committing that weird fallacy about presuming the door locked. Various things went wrong multiple times, and it wasn't all user error. This should have worked the first time.

Oh, right. There's that. I wonder if that can still go wrong?

I will yell at Apple for that, though, if it comes up.

12. Saint Valued Senior Member

I am still using Windows 7

13. professorpunctual Registered Member

I love the idea of Cortana for Windows 10. Is it the same voice as in Halo?

14. DrKrettin Registered Senior Member

To get an idea, look at these 5 videos about what if Google were a guy

15. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I remember having Windows 8 on my previous computer and I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 and I ended up having to reset my computer after the upgrade because my computer was not working and I lost all my files! After the reset Windows 10 worked fine for me. Do you guys know if there is a way to get those files back?

16. someguy1 Registered Senior Member

The advantage of Windoze is that you'll know before all the Mac users about the latest virus or hack attack going around ... because you'll get hit by it.

Confused2 likes this.
  17. Saint Valued Senior Member

Windows is vulnerable.
    Linux is safe.

18. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

In fairness there could be a back door into any/all versions of Linux - nobody gets paid to check they aren't there - we just hope it's written by the good guys (and gals).

If I were Bill Gates I'd be buying gold and packing up my stuff.

19. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Pay the ransom. ;-)

mmatt9876 likes this.
  20. RADII Registered Senior Member

No more safe than Windows or IOS. The bad-actors just target Windows because there are a boat-load more of them than anything else. Exploits equally target Linux as much as Windows applications & components.

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I run an cheap old Win7, but have a large external HD for all my files such as documents, pictures and music. So basically I only use the OP system of my computer, and all data I want to save (including back-ups) gets rerouted to my external HD.
    When I need to scrap my computer, I always have my files. All I need to do is plug in the HD.

22. Nacho Registered Senior Member

That's good, and handy, but ...

If your computer gets infected with a virus/trojan/bad stuff, your external hard drive is just an vulnerable as any other hard drive, if it is hooked up/mounted all of the time. It is even possible for it to get infected with a virus when it was temporarily hooked up, and you not have any indication it was infected.

If you route all of your backup (sets) to that external hard drive, then you have no backup if that hard drive fails. Backups should go to completely separate devices from the device the data is backed up resides on.

23. nmyjeff Registered Member

Windows 10 is well integrated with Microsoft service, like OneDrive, Outlook, etc.