Windows 10 Fail

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Bowser, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Tried to install windows 10 on an older laptop over these past few days. It rolled down hill as soon as the installation was complete. It reached a point where I couldn't even access my rescue partition. I just gave up on it and installed Ubuntu. I wouldn't mind so much had it not robbed me of the option to reclaim my older os.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

The compatibility checks should have rejected that computer as qualifying for the upgrade offer or done that even prior to the actual installation, as it did on a rather resource limited netbook I had.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

You just can't say "Windows" and "fail" in the same sentence.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Don't you know that ignoring RFCs and writing code blocks reliant on external variables, ignorant of what your cell-mates are doing, is the very best way to write the very best OS on Earth?

Shame!

(You should have installed a Linux first, and be done.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I was given the blue screen of death. I did manage to access the desktop twice, but I couldn't repeat the same trick a third time. I did run a diagnostic on the pc. with the exception of the battery, everything is fine. Nothing is worth that much trouble. Took me about thirty minutes to install Ubuntu.

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I was given the blue screen of death. I did manage to access the desktop twice, but I couldn't repeat the same trick a third time. I did run a diagnostic on the pc. with the exception of the battery, everything is fine. Nothing is worth that much trouble. Took me about thirty minutes to install Ubuntu.

9. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

I use Xubuntu - no re-training needed after windows. (Couldn't get to grips with 'Unity' myself - do they still do that?).
    Edit ... I mean windows XP of course - possibly the last fully functional offering from Microsoft.

10. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

Windows 10 took possession of my computer for an afternoon last week. On Monday morning windows networking failed (great start to the week). After the update I can't share on windows 10 with Ubuntu. Preferred solution - remove windows and update the computer to Xubuntu. My Ubuntu (mysql) sever has been running since 2013 without stopping.

11. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

My server is still choogling after ten years. I had to clone the disc after a failure, but got everything back except some minor things. An ancient (like '92 vintage ROM image) Celeron Dell, and it never even hiccups. Still running Linux, and I'll never go back.

Hell, I started with Interactive System V Unix for 386, on 50 1.2Mb diskettes.

12. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

I'm currently (right now) using a 700Mhz clock arm board costing £35 ($35) - raspian (debian) o/s. Thanks to the genius and generosity of many parties my software (written in Lazarus) compiles and runs without change. My steel encased PC's will be replaced by a cigarette sized box drawing 2W when they die - if not before. In fairness it doesn't have 'Flash' and opengl is ? but hopefully by the time I need either there'll be a fully fledged 2Ghz version at the same price or less.

13. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Two out of three laptops (2 hp 1 Acer) made it to Windows 10. I was uncomfortable with the startup menu and for a while I used classic menu, but eventually uninstalled it.

I opted out of Microsoft's marketing:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/7...es-on-you-by-default-heres-how-to-opt-out.htm

https://choice.microsoft.com/en-gb/opt-out

as a few sites recommended, but my wife nixed turning off Cortana. So here's what happens when you skip that step.

I'm running Sophos anti-virus, and it takes a while, so the desktop background changed to a picture taken at slot canyon. Cortana says (text): "Click and say "how far to the Grand Canyon?"

I ignored the prompt, but what do you suppose would happen if I responded the way Cortana wanted? That's right, an inbox full of spam messages about package travel deals to the Grand Canyon. And what do I think of that idea? Well, not an idea I would even entertain, if someone paid me to do it. You see the problem here, don't you? MICROSOFT ACTUALLY DOESN'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT AN OS IS SUPPOSED TO DO AND WHAT ADWARE DOES. But we know, don't we? Your computers and mobile devices are wiretapped 24/7 for the purposes of targeting ads. Anyone else have a problem with that?

Darn them all to heck.