Windows 8

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by GeoffP, May 2, 2013.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

My.... god.

Written by hipster douchebags for hipster douchebags. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a less intuitive, rigid, uncontrollable system, and about four years ago I had to work with a Mac for a month. Why, o why, do they think changing the OS every two years is a good idea? Why does it get worse every time they change it? For example, right now I'm listening to an audiobook. I can't stop the book from playing. I can't access the files to select new ones or alternates. I can't use their player to skip chapters. It's difficult to put it all in words. It's as though the computer thinks it's giving an artistic experience, which it will control, for my own good. Unfortunately, as I alluded above, I'm not a hipster doofus and it doesn't earn me points with a clan of horn-rimmed lowbrows when the machine basically does what it wants.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What ebook is it reading for you?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Congrats on your new OS

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ForrestDean Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mathman Valued Senior Member

I wonder if Microsoft alternates bad and good operating systems? XP was good(I used to use), Vista was bad, Windows 7 (I'm using now) is good, Windows 8 is bad.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I've never had any trouble with Vista. XP, however, sucked balls.

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I could live with either of those. You have not seen balls sucking until you have tried Windows 8. Oh no.

Don't get me wrong: it can do things.

Maybe.

If it feels like it.

10. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

"Though barely heard amidst the dense wailings of misfortune... third party developers emit a sigh of relief."

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I have yet to hear anything good about Windows 8. I bought my laptop just before the introduction of Windows 8. I wanted to make sure I didn't get Windows 8. It sounds like a nightmare.

12. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

It isn't a nightmare, but it it does have some issues IME.

I have 3 desktops, a laptop, a tablet and several phones. No 'smart' phone though, just a flip cell. I don't like to talk on the phone and i dnt txt I use the best device for the purpose, as in I take pictures with a camera, not the phone.

This system is a desktop with WIN 7 (screwed up but functional) 1 of the other desktops has a fully functional WIN 7 OS, the other has WIN XP 64. The laptop has WIN 8. After a bunch of initial problems it has settled down, loads fast, shuts down fast. I have gotten used to its quirky fake cell phone look and to doing weird stuff to make it do things that are straight forward in WIN 7. I really enjoy the progress they have made with the Windows series of operating systems - it is wonderful not to have to reinstall the OS every 3 months, for instance.

I do not surf the net on my telephone, however, and I am not going to start. My personal circumstances give me vastly superior alternatives. This means that the WIN 8 initial screen (with all of those cursed commercials for stuff I do not want or use) made to operate as a touch screen (which I only use on my tablet) and look like a 'smart' phone (which I choose not to own or use) is a bother to me. I must admit that I have not yet pursued removing the tiles I don't like as I just haven't had the time.

I have been told that there is an upcoming update that will address that issue, however, so hope is not lost. However, when I have clicked on the icon of the program I wished to use, I immediately go to a "start" screen that looks and acts just like the ones I am used to.

If I could lose that first cell phone - like screen I would be much happier with WIN 8. I am, however, not as upset with it as I was at first blush last Dec when I got the laptop. I was going to get it with WIN 7 installed but after discussing WIN 8 in this forum I decided that somebody had to try it out. Since I was getting a new machine it seemed logical that I give it a shot. I can go into more detail later if you want, I need to take my Lab out for our morning run now though.

13. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

An update on my opinion.

This morning I fired up the laptop only to be informed that WIN 8 wanted to install an update it had (surreptitiously) downloaded yesterday. It proceeded, then informed me it was going to reboot. It did that, promptly froze then crashed. I tried rebooting it several times and it failed, went into trouble shooting mode and found that Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system did not care for Microsoft's signature on Microsoft's Windows 8 update.

I told it to ignore the signature and got back into the OS. :huh: I have a WIN 7 disc that I threaten to use on it every time it does this, and it has done this several times.

As an aside, the problem with this 64 bit WIN 7 OS is in the updating software which began failing 28 updates back and has now qualified for its own personal hard drive so I can swap/update/reinstall operating systems as needed. I do really wish there was a BETTER replacement for Windows. No, Linux is not that OS nor is OS X and I detest Macs more than Geoff.

uke:

14. wellwisher Banned Banned

I have a Mac and have been keeping up with Windows via boot camp, which allows one to add Windows to a separate partition. This allows both operating systems on one machine allowing read/write between them. I liked Windows XP and Windows 7, did not like Windows 8. Windows 8 is designed for a touch screen device, but is very cumbersome with only a mouse. If you go to the main screen and right click, that screen has been so dumbed down that all the right click are not there. It was designed for a finger not a mouse.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Do you detest Macs more than Geoff detests Macs, or do you detest Macs more than you detest Geoff?

16. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I've set up a couple of laptops that had Windows 8, and the Metro interface drove me nuts. Probably the biggest legitimate complaint about it is that it wasn't a change driven by consumer need or demand; rather it's a change made because Microsoft can see that mobile devices with touchscreen technology are the future for most, and they want to get people used to it, so they will be familiar with Microsoft products for any device. For five dollars, you can get Start8 and get your classic start menu back. This demonstrates that it can be easily done, so MS had their own reasons for not including it.

I considered upgrading to 8 a few months ago when I could have done so pretty inexpensively. But even for forty dollars, I couldn't find any real justification to move from 7 to 8. But if I did have 8, I would spend a few bucks and get a program like Start8.

17. dragon0788 Registered Member

I really like it but I using Linux...

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

We may never know. Geoff detests Macs more than Geoff detests most of you, however.

Like the SNOTWUH, BTW. IMHO, ITB.

19. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Hah! You know me better than that brother Enmos. I like Geoff but cannot tolerate Macs. One of my fondest memories of programming classes a million years ago in university was watching a Mac eat a floppy disc for me - tore that sukka to ribbons.

Never had a pc do that, though they have done pretty much everything else. I did like that cute little lady bug that would craw across the screen when the compiler hit a bug in my program though. Otherwise a Mac wouldn't even make a good paperweight...with or without WIN 8.

20. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I still use XP SP3, and I still love it! It never crashes, and it can do everything I want it to do in the "multimedia world." I love my XP and I won't give it up until it can't do something I want it to do!

Of course, my CPU (AMD Athlon II) and RAM (4 gb) are ancient too, so no need for a better operating system to make use of them. I previously stopped typing load"*",8,1, do you relate?

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  21. mathman Valued Senior Member

The only warning I can give you is that XP will no longer be supported by Microsoft (I don't remember the cutoff date). Also various web sites may not work well with it. Example: google.com (my email) gives me a warning about using IE8 (which is the last XP version). On Windows 7 I use IE9 (in passing I tried IE10, but it has problems that I don't need).

22. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Answer: Firefox.

23. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Same here.

I keep IE for those sites that cannot handle anything else.