Windows or Mac?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Athelwulf, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

i-pod looks like a bar of soap. I don't like it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

Ah! But a bar of soap that feels creamy cool against my naked skin.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

Be careful where you do that there are some places you might risk jail time for fornicating with an appliance.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

Well, at least we're able to have fun and not hide behind windows.

8. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Hide behind windows? You might want to rethink the logic of that one stud-boy.

9. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

Gravity quote: Hide behind windows? You might want to rethink the logic of that one stud-boy.

Whose talking about logic here, cowboy? Is this the Philosophy forum? Well then, if you prefer -- we break windows.

10. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

<Yawn> Running multiple OS's on multiple CPU & Display system running through a KVM. Two key taps and I'm looking at XP on a custom system, two more key taps and I'm using Mandrake on another custom CPU, two more and I'm on Red-Hat . . . etc. . . . and more.

OS-X *is* just Linux (a PC OS) with Apple graphics and extensions. Your ego is misplaced kiddo, I'm sure changing the RAM in your computer is a big deal to you, but you are out of your league here.

11. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

Nice muscles, cowboy. But being savvy is certainly not anything like being suave, huhn?

So -- no comment on Avatar's savvy-ipod-design-soapbar-aesthetics? Oh right, you must have slipped and fell and lost your sense of logical direction.

No. Changing the RAM on my computer I leave to menial workers. Pretty ones too.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Ad hominem, are we?
    In my eyes ipod design sucks and I'm not the only one who thinks so.
    Probably you just fall in their market auditory.

13. thing Registered Member

IPod freezes (there's no way to un-freeze, just wait till the battery runs out). I heard the more songs are on it the worse it works. I'm glad I don't have an IPod, or a laptop, or a palm pilot. In my opinion, those things are annoying and useless. Together with that phone that doesn't look like a phone but like... like a game, with a "keyboard."

14. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

What really sucks is when walking American-Consumer-Cliche's discover folks who are both savvy & suave. Though denial is a powerful defense.

Nope, no comment on that. I've only been in here for idle recreation.

Nothing wrong with leaving the computer work to the help, just don't be then trying to act like the Uber-Computer expert because of your choice of platform.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

16. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

17. river-wind Valued Senior Member

talk about ad-homs...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

OSX is very similar to Linux, in that they are both GUIs ontop of UNIX-like OS's.

However, they are not the same. Linux's kernel is much cleaner than OSX's, and OSX's ease-of-use is significantly better.

And "Apple's Graphics" (Quartz, Quartz Extreme, Tiger's CoreImage and CoreVideo) are head and shoulders above the X-11 based GUI systems available for Linux - there are much more customisable, but are significantly less powerful.
    Aqua w/ a wider rnage of customisation option would be great. Of course, you can always run Apple's X-11 system...

Your setup sounds very nice! I have a Win2k home-built, a G3-400 system as a MySQL database server and IRC server, plus two G4 towers as websevers and desktop machines....I'm thinking about either getting a new shuttle XPC w/Ubuntu Linux or a Mac Mini to consolidate the two towers into a smaller and quieter space.
    The XPC's have a PCI slot, but would not be fanless (in the $500 range), and I'd have to build it/install drivers...so I haven't decided yet.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  18. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

What a nerdy comic.
    Computer salesmen have no right acting so "cool" for starters, they're fucking computer salesmen.
    The fact his hands are in his pockets is an insult to legitimately cool people everywhere.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I know a few basements around here where there are a few low idioticy tolerance salesmen too. Cool people.
    Ctrl-Alt-Del is a great comic!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

Mac OS is actually BSD-based, which in turn is UNIX based. BSD and Linux are not the same, although quite similair.

21. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

And by the way, Linux is not just a PC operating system. You can get a PPC (PowerPC, the Mac CPU architecture) distro of Linux and run it right on a Mac. For example:

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/company/press/pr?n=/pr/products/2417&wslang=en

There are a handful of other types of Linux distributions that run on all types of CPU architectures, including embedded systems, server/64-bit, and of course PC (x86) and PPC architectures.

22. jumble_nuts Registered Senior Member

I personally like Windows XP Pro ( I hate home edition) I like Suse as it still allows you to access files you use in windows if you have it dual booting. I hate mac simply because other than graphics it has nothing good going for it. Other than maybe being a graphical Unix.. However since Linux accomplishes the same tasks and then some and Microsoft keeps updating windows to be more graphical one can only do anything but shy away from Mac. Also I hate Mac mouses. Windows Longhorn that MS is working on is suppose to put OSX to shame where as MS is soely focusing on nothing but graphics. And seeing how well that Windows went from looking so crappy in earlier versions to a much more crisp visually pleasing look that XP has I believe MS will do a good job. Also Suse keeps on top of their OS so it is top of the line version of Linux and is getting more user friendly as they go on. Also its free so who can go wrong there. So simply speaking MAc is becomeing more and more out dated while Windows and Linux( not only Suse but other versions) keep updateing and becomeing more advanced. Kudos to the people at Suse. Maybe one day I will convert completely to Linux but until then I tend to use the most popular OS Windows because almost all software is written to run on Windows.

23. river-wind Valued Senior Member

cool. So in 2006 or 2008 when Longhorn comes out, and the new GUI compositing engine is in place, it will be better than OS X 10.3, which I've been running for a year now.
    And by then, Apple should have 10.6 on the shelves, along with a number of new enhancements.
    Truth is, Tiger (10.4), which should be out this summer, and I am beta testing now, has a more powerful graphics system than the projected plans for longhorn's gui system.
    The systems are fairly similar, but one will be out this year, and the other won't be out for at least one more year on top of that.

I do like linux, but it's most certainly a few steps behind OSX in terms of ease of use. Out of the box hardware support, application support, ease of installation, maintinance, etc...it really isn't a contest. It's closer than it used to be, but there is still a large delta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.