Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Avatar, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Huge jump, how so? Don't tell me that that glassy look is a huge jump.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rick Valued Senior Member

Nope. I am talking of things like WinFS, indigo,avalon and shit like new interface programming paradigms. Check paul thurret's site.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

There is no WinFS and no indigo on Vista, Avalon is a laugh.
    The new interface features have been on Linux and Macs for some time now, and it's open source (as far as Linux goes), so I don't think they are hard to implement.
    What else? Search? Mac

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

WinFs,indigo will be shipped as an update, but that doesnt mean that they arent part of vista project or they have been abandoned,dude

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Update?! A whole new filesystem layer as an update?
    And how many partition tables will it not screw up? :bugeye:
    Your update will probably arrive as SP2 at best (knowing XP)

9. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

zion,

Clearly your knowledge of computers is lacking.

Microsoft will not add any functionality to the OS as long as it sells. Adding functionality means adding even *more* security threats.

They make nice peripherals such as mice, but when it comes to security - things that aren't aesthetic - Microsoft knows jack squat.

10. Rick Valued Senior Member

thank you. Please check the Longhorn website would ya? damm....kids...

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

12. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

All that says is that they *might* be available at some later time. An empty promise from the marketing team.

Chances are they will come up with something 'better' or delay it to the next iteration of their foolish OS.

MS is a sinking ship.

13. Rick Valued Senior Member

The ship is sinking,but it has lots of Lifeboats and another big replacement for the same (Cash in Dollars, Hard cash).

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Rick Valued Senior Member

15. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

If it was as simple as implementing a least privileged user scheme, they would've adopted that years ago.

All in all it is a layer of obfuscation over an insecure, underscrutinized codebase. From TFA:

Nerdspeak for, 'security was an afterthought that MS hacked together'.

Unless the very core is secure, exploiting vista will be trivial. The shit will have hit the fan before you .NET fanboys come to realize this.

16. Rick Valued Senior Member

Thank you. The shit wasnt easy, that is why it is taking some time to implement. For further info please check the windows vista site,they have full info on it.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

In that windows vista website I see only marketspeak and no actual features. The text there is like one would hear in a church from a priest promising the kingdom of god.

Hey, and question for you.
    Why should anyone really even consider Windows Vista at some future time, if Linux does everything that has been promised and more right now?

I haven't restarted this box in weeks, it looks absolutely pretty, is rock stable and more secure than Windows ever was and a bonus to that it's open source and costs me nothing and if I want I can run a window manager that eats 1mb of ram instead of ~512mb by WinVista thus have much more resources available for the tasks I need to be performed.

18. dmcm01 Guest

im with avatar on the linux thing, seriusly, you dont have to run something complex like gentoo, just go and try ubuntu and spend the money you saved on icecream

especially now i found out that both macintels and windows will use Trusted Computing...im not saying illigality is OK, but killing creativity by limiting what can and cant run on a system via a system of licencing is a bad thing...and benifits no one but the company charging for licence applications.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2005
  19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.