Wireless G-USB adapter problems

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by cosmictraveler, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I bought a Linksys wireless broadband router as well as a network adapter for my laptop so that I can use the laptop in another room away from my PC. Well I've had 3 of the adapters fail for unknown reasons. I've installed the software correctly in my laptop and went to Linksys by phone to make certain each time I followed procedures correctly by letting them walk me through the set up.

The first time I did the adapter in my laptop failed after 6 days of use. It just stopped "seeing" the device that was plugged into my USB port so I called Linksys and I returned that device and got a new one for free because of the stores 30 day return policy. When I installed the second adapter I used Linksys tech department to install it again and it failed after 3days.

I just installed the third adapter and it too failed but this time within a day. It seems that something happens to the device as my laptop can't "see" the device that is plugged into my USB port. Yes I've tried using another port but the adapter still dies and can't be seen wherever I put it because the adapter is dead. I know it is dead everytime because I put in into my PC and it doesn't find it either.

So there you have my problem, what does anyone suggest besides getting a new system other that Linksys? I know Belkins makes the wireless system also but that seems not the way to go. I'd like to find the problem with this system. My laptop works fine with a direct cable from my modem to it to establish on line results so I know that it is working just fine otherwise with all other programs. I've run a virus scan several times as well. I have my laptop hooked up to a power supply from my UPS and the converter to lower the voltage to it. It isn't running off the battery if that makes any difference.

If anyone here can help I'd be very appreciative. Thank you in advance.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Also, to hijack the thread and completely disregard the above complaints: why does my Belkin router keep dropping the connection 12 times a bleeding minute and why did my first one die on me so quickly (I'm now on my second, which I've more or less given up on, due to the dropped connections).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I'm still here too. Shhh. Don't tell him.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

because you wanted to be fancy and have wireless. you should just have gotten one with the old fashioned wire. It's not like you ever move your desk/couch. Or are you one of these rare people who browse forums while taking a shower or while gardening?

9. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

WUSB54G ----something like that right?

Ques1 --- When you plug it into the USB port, does the little green light come on?
    Ques 2 - What OS are you running (vista? Xp?)
    Ques 3 - What software are you using to connect to wireless networks? Are you using the linksys App, or are you using windows zero-config utility?

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

1 Yes, but then it goes dim green.

2.Windows XP

3.Linksys software.

11. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

When you plug it in, do you see and yellow question marks, or exclamation marks in device manager (under the "network adapters" branch)?

----------------------------
    if you fee like fiddling with it, here is an experiment you can try:

- Go to the "program files" folder, and find the folder that contains the Linksys WLAN utility
    - copy the entire folder to your desktop
    - unplug the USB adapter, and uninstall the linksys wlan utility
    - restart if needed (you might not need to)
    - plug the USB adapter back in, and see if it gives you the "found new unknown device.....looking for drivers" prompt.
    - if so, then tell windows to look for the drivers in the WLAN utility folder you copied to the desktop (you may need to look in one of the subfolders)

At this point, it should locate the driver, and install it. If your device works, the windows zero-config system tray icon should pop up a message saying "networks detected" or whatever.

If not, I'm thinking you're right, and this is total hardware failure.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It won't pick up the adapter in the device manager so it is total hardware failure. I've just got off the phone with Linksys and they too recommend that I return the device and get a refund after 3 failed attempts at trying to get it up and running. Thank you anyway for the advice!

13. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

cosmic,

I'm under the assumption that your laptop does not have a Centrino processor or a built in wi-fi card?
    If it does not, may I suggest a PCMCIA wireless card rather than a USB one.
    Also, do check in the device manager and make sure you aren't getting any exclamation points or red X's; not only on the wireless card listing, but also on the USB controllers. If your laptop is a bit older, you might have USB 1.1 ports (12mbps rate). A lot of times, though, if you install the correct driver for those USB ports, they become USB 2.0 ports (480 mbps rate). If they are only 1.1 ports, I doubt your wireless card would work very well.
    This right here itself would lead me to check the USB controller drivers. If the USB ports aren't configured properly, it won't detect any device you insert into a USB port.
    I've had the same problem with installing Verizon air cards in the laptops I support. They are PCMCIA cards and if you don't have the correct card reader drivers installed, the system will not detect the air card when you insert it. That may not be your problem (USB controllers) but it couldn't hurt to check.

Try going into the router and changing the channel. I've noticed that channels 6, 7, and 11 work the best. I'm not saying that this is your problem but if others in your neighborhood are running wi-fi and using the same frequency, that could cause interference. I'd try switching channels before you try anything else.

14. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

okey cokey, I'll give that a try when I get the time - will probably be a day or two - and get back to you. Thanks for the help.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

NO

I'M NOT.

Everything else works in both USB ports. I've put two other devices into them and those devices work just fine.

That's what we did when I just talked to the tech at Linksys. On 6 now.

No one else, that I know of, in my hood doesn't have a wireless system, let alone a PC!

I've returned from the return item desk where I bought this adapter and now installed a new adapter, number4, and right now all is well. This time the tech gave me a new way to install it using the Windows XP own wireles interface instead of Linksys. So now all I can do is wait and see if this adapter keeps on working after a few hours or days. The tech at the store where I bought this says that I might have a power problem in that to much power from the adapter to my laptop is creating an overload somehow! This doesn't seem possible or eles other things I have plugged into other USB ports would also malfunction.

16. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Heh--- same suggestion I gave you.

Zeroconf.exe is much more user friendly IMO. Linksys's wlan utility is clunky, and hard to use. Not only that, but it sticks an annoying little spare icon in your system tray (and disabled zeroconf, but leaves the damn icon there so you have TWO that you have to deal with).

The second best wireless network finder IMO is Ubuntu's network utility...although the refresh functionality could use a little tweaking.

I wish there was one exactly like zeroconf that refreshed the same way netstumbler constantly picks up new APs.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

ShaaaZaaam! I finally got the right adapter, it plugs into the side of my laptop, not using the USB ports anymore. Same company so I didn't have to exchange the modem too. It is great when they finally get the right part and stop giving you grief about the wrong part they sell you!

18. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Amazing....

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I know, but they didn't want me to have another type of card, only what I purchased and nothing more! After 5 trips and making them open 5 new boxes they finally gave in and let me have the right one. Perseverance pays off, sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.