WISP computer gets power wirelessly from radio waves

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Plazma Inferno!, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

A team of researchers from the University of Washington’s Sensor Lab have come up with a device called the WISP - a tiny computer that doesn’t need a battery.
    The WISP (or Wireless Identification and Sensing Platform) sidesteps all the issues with finding wired power and adding bulky batteries to smart objects by harvesting power from radio waves. It doesn’t even need any special wireless power equipment; just a regular off-the-shelf RFID transmitter. The WISP can pull enough power out of thin air to power a modest processor, but it’s not going to compete with your computer or even your smartphone. The creators say it’s got about as much processing power as the Fitbit — enough to run sensors and transmit data.

http://www.goreadus.com/technology/...ttery-gets-power-wirelessly-from-radio-waves/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

While I like the idea of wireless power transmission, I dislike the low efficiency of the current approaches. A whole lot of energy is wasted in the transmission. I hope we'll soon find better wireless power transfer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.