Women and this forum.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Lil Light Foot, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Lil Light Foot Just a fuzzy lil Fyre ball. Registered Senior Member

Exactly! That's what I mean, they cannot and will not debate, they will put forward their opinion and tell everyone else they are wrong.

This probably comes across as a little odd, as I'm a woman...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

p.s. most of the sciforums core (jamesR, physics monkey, light, water, spurious monkey, quantum quack, cosmic traveler, stryder, Superluminal, leopold99, profry, ect) are men aren't they? water is female though, right?

perhaps women have a natural tendency against the method of science. in other words, they are more likely to hold their opinion than let their beliefs evolve.

edit: sorry to anyone who should be on that list but I forgot. (MacM)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lil Light Foot Just a fuzzy lil Fyre ball. Registered Senior Member

Yea, water is female as far as I know, and yes all those others you mentioned are males.

Perhaps that's true, to be honest though, I don't see why those woman came here then. Surely the reason to come to this forums is to expand your knowledge, and open your mind?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Women in this forum, as elsewhere, have redefined their position. But maybe not their methods. So where as men see no need to "go over the top" with their opinions, some women somehow feel the need to validate an opinion by either (a) being over-assertive , (b)employing a "scorched earth" policy so as to to avoid "come-backs"

Having said that - this place feels a little, "Guys Hangout" , so I can see why it would be hard to be heard in such a din. Hence the tendancy to shout a little louder.
    Are there stats available to see ratio of males to females here, admin? I'm willing to bet my lucky penny that it's close to 70 -30 , give or take a transsexual.

The quality of posts, however, is a male & female problem. Some people seem to think that just having an opinion is enough in debating circles. They are mistaken. Rather than trying to convince people, it would be easier to clearly present a point, validate it with verifiable facts ... not big words & long-winded self-gratification.
    Some of the better posters here actually make you aware of more than just their stance on a particluar topic, something we can all do with more of.

8. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

lol, tell that to the nutters over in the religion section.

9. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

that is very true imo
    but i would like to exclude myself from that by saying that i am very poorly opinionated.. well not really, i just cant bother to read kilometric posts and type kilometric replies, i also think that "arguing on the internet is like playing in the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded"
    ah, and im sexist too, i think women should warm themselves up by the stove and cool themselves down in the sink

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

she probably just gave up, like i did... it is impossible to have a discussion with you

11. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

sorry... i stopped reading there

12. Lil Light Foot Just a fuzzy lil Fyre ball. Registered Senior Member

Cato - they don't count as people!

firdroirich - your point about women over asserting themselves etc may well be true, as rather than being brought up to be below men, women are now being brought up to be extremely feminist. Which means they feel this is the only way they feel they can express themselves, which does kind of come back to the old point of females not being properly educated. In the old days they were kept at home and not allowed to be educated, and now they appear to be taught how to listen to as their told still but from, perhaps more dangerous sources, the media. Meaning that they do not know how to think or argue, but just regurgitate apparent facts and arguements which they have had drilled into their heads.
    It's a shame really, many of them probably have at least some potential, if not alot.

13. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

i dont think there's even this many women here... but women like Xev, Bells, Thetheoruofrelativity or whatever is her name have a very strong agressive presence that makes it look that the women here are vicious

14. Lil Light Foot Just a fuzzy lil Fyre ball. Registered Senior Member

It is probably quite well known I have problems with Theoryofrelativity. I have found her arguements to be weak, her insults petty and childish, her threads vague and undebatable. When confronted she gets defensive, usually takes a feminist take, and will resort to childish insults.

I think she's a very good example of the kind of women and posting I mean.

15. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

i dont know lil light... sometimes i get the feeling that people are trying to prove something to themselves

or maybe we just want to be cool and hang out with the boys

16. Lil Light Foot Just a fuzzy lil Fyre ball. Registered Senior Member

Hey, I came here to learn and expand my mind

It feels like those women I have come across are insecure and feel the need to continue to try and prove to themselves they are better. I can't remember the proper quote, but the jist of it is, those who speak up the loudest are those who know the least, and have the most to prove, where as those who remain quieter in the background are wiser and know they need to prove nothing.

17. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

heh, exactly... it seems like it is not good enough to state your point, they must go AHHH CRUSH CRUSH
    anyway... that's what i meant by trying to prove something... maybe the women want to be tough and prove that they are at the same level or something

18. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

posted my muslim: Thats the kind of mentality I'd expect from asshole 14 year old school kids, along with "your mum's a whore" and other retarded comments.

Am i like that wit hmy posts? j/w

19. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

hey riku, aren't you like a 14y.o. school kid? just kidding.

anyway, my best guess would be overcompensation or penis envy. perhaps a combination of those two cause the women to argue/debate differently.

20. Lil Light Foot Just a fuzzy lil Fyre ball. Registered Senior Member

Please don't start on the penis envy stuff, overcompensation I can completely agree with. Insecure little women trying to overcompensate for their apparent lack of intellect.

21. illuminatingtherapy Initiate of The Universe Registered Senior Member

IMO, this thread regards men just as much as women. Women are neither better or worse. Men tends to have just as stubborn perspectives which they have no intend of changing/expanding.

22. Lil Light Foot Just a fuzzy lil Fyre ball. Registered Senior Member

That may well be true, but in my experience, and in general, men are more open to debating the point rather than closing their mind and going around in circles.

23. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I posted above a list of the "heart" of sciforums, and there was only 1 woman (I think) on the list. if you think my list is biased, just go to the physics section, and observe the male to female ratio.

to take the physics section seriously you can't be too attached to your ideas (unless you are MacM).