Women

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by sevenblu, Jun 5, 2004.

1. sevenblu feeling blu Registered Senior Member

Are women inferior to men as Socrates believed?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

without knowing the full context of your question, especially with regard to the notion of superior and inferior I can only answer with another question.

Is a Dog inferior to a Cat?

Is a mouse inferior to an elephant?

Is an adult superior to a child?

I think not

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I would consider the relationship of man and woman to be fully complimentary in other words neither superior or inferior,

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

i remember being told that genetically women are superior to men, since the Y chromosome is really weak and in 150,000 years it wil have dissapeared, resulting in no more men.

8. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I donĀ“t care, we are all different in some ways.

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Actually having a Y chromo could mean that men have an ability to relate their feminine side... an improvement on only having XX.

having both genders genetically, the composite of the two being considered as Male. A YY combination being a failure.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I know some very gifted children that are way ahead of adults so I'd say that each indivual is unique and has their own abilities to do whatever they can. No one is superior to another just different.

11. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

I don't know...From what I see, there seems to be many more species which have either a dominant female or male component. Not usually complete equalness between both sexes. Why should we be any different? Especially when we follow more independant trait rather than those animals who think in union, which are usually the species who have equality between male and female.

I think Males are superior over females, or vice versa, it just matters on which one is which. Yet, within our society, it seems that men are the dominant.

Regardless if there are some children who are are more advanced than children. You can't disregard the fact that adults are completely developed while children are partially complete. Yes, adults do seem to have much fuller qualities than children.

Nope, but this isn't kept within the species now is it?

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

By using these examples I wanted to explore ther concept of superiority or inferiority.

I suppose I am being a little too oblique.

I just think that using the word inferior can be inappropriate and that is why I asked for a definition by the thread starter.

For me it's a question of speciality. Men and women both have their speciality.

These specialities allow us a certain compatability.

13. water the sea Registered Senior Member

14. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

The question is too broad. For a good answer, you would have to define superior.
    Superior based on what criteria?
    QQ actually put it nicely, but let's go one step further; What would make one man superior to another? What would make one human superior to another?

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

But as you move up the evolutionary ladder into the more advanced species, you find them progressing toward gender equality.

This is particularly true in birds, whose females have the tremendous advantage of NOT being burdened with pregnancy and nursing. It takes very little lead time to produce and lay an egg -- chicken hens can lay a new one every day. And it requires no special physiology to either incubate eggs by sitting on them or to feed baby birds by regurgitating pre-digested food.

The psittacines (the order of parrot-like birds) is arguably the pinnacle of bird evolution: they've got the most IQ points and with their prehensile feet and grasping beak they are more capable of manipulating objects than other avians. There are even a few being intensively studied for what some see as rudimentary language skills.

And there is remarkably little sexual dimorphism (probably not the correct use of the term but it will do) in parrot/ macaw/ cockatoo/ parakeet/ lory/ conure behavior. In most species the parents stay together while the chicks are being raised, which takes many weeks. (In fact many species stay paired as long as both are alive, which can be more than 100 years in a safe, healthy, domestic setting, although they can't continue reproducing that long.) The male and female take turns incubating the eggs while the other goes out to feed or get a manicure or play poker, and they both feed and protect the babies.

This could be the future of humanity. Our females are stuck with biological constraints, but we've already made breast-feeding optional and we're well on our way to maturing the embryos in artificial environments.

Meanwhile the other physical differences between men and women such as body fat ratio and distribution of muscle mass are becoming irrelevant except in relics of Stone Age culture like athletics. And the importance of "traditional" male and female professions, attitudes, and roles in general is shrinking to just that: tradition -- vestigial and ceremonial only.

16. water the sea Registered Senior Member

It's a mix-up of terms. The singer being confused with his song.

Saying that person A is superior to person B

-- is saying "You're stupid" instead of saying "What you did is stupid",

-- is saying "You're superbrilliantly smart" instead of saying "What you did is superbrilliantly smart".

There are, *technically*, no superior or inferior people.
    There are only superior or inferior abilities, skills, knowledges, ...

17. bigal Registered Senior Member

Well, female created male.

18. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

this is really a silly question because they are both human beings, just different sexes within it. how can you compare? both have their strengths and weaknesses. while men are sometimes physically bigger and stronger, women can make life. you can't compare apples and oranges.

19. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Fraggle Rocker,

I know don't know anything about birds and I'm not going to try and pretend. I am going to act on what I see though. Female and Male birds seem to have no relationship whatsoever. It seems as if the male comes, mates with the female, waits for a certain time then leaves to mate again. It seems more like they are acting more on instincts. This is much different, than lets say wolves. In those species ther e is always a male to female relationship, and males are obviously the dominant gender in that society. It also has to do on how their society works. As I've said, birds seem to work independatly, only acting upon their mating as instincts only.

20. robtex Registered Senior Member

I had a friend 5 years ago making a comment to me at work. He said, Robert, if there were more woman in politics there would be less war. He said that woman were more apt to spend time on looking for a peacful solution than men who want it done (whatever the issue is) right now or at least very soon. I had another friend at another job tell me that her problem with organized religion is most of the important people in religion by far are men. She said there is natural balance in nature......male and female animals living and working together and that a lot of our societal problems stemmed from our unatural imbalance where woman are viewed as a sub-species of man.

After thinking about it I see both their points as valid and true. There are things that men are more apt in general at but there are also more things that woman are more apt at and a lot of cultrues, certainly amreican culture, supress that when they view woman as 2nd class. The balance and harmony of our world is tipped. It can become more logic and task oriented and less empathic and emotion oriented. The biggest most noticable expample I can relate to in politics is womans communication skills. Without reading any biology, sociology, anthropology or psychology books on the subject I can say from personal obesrevation that woman have communication skills that men just don't have.

They read body language, non verbal cues and intonations so well that myself, who is relativly stoic have troulbe hiding stuff from them when many times I can from a guy with very little effort. Those are skills that a huge assest in politics or any negociations. While the man oriented problem solving is also invaluable having a neogicater on the team who can assess reactions to statments made---non verbal reactions such as face cues or body language can really be paramount information in formulating strategy.

I have had jobs where I have neogciated before and I have wished in the past that I had a woman I could have gone to some of my negociations and said, "hey how do you think they took that proposal?".

One of our biggest (if not our biggest) flaws as a race is to take our natural existance and make it unnatural. The unnatural imbalance of mascualinty and feminity by man is the most flagrant example or are artificiality of nature.

21. antifreeze defrosting agent Registered Senior Member

what are you talking about bigal? explain yourself please?

22. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

I'm kind of drunk right now, tipsy if you will so I have to type this before I forget what I'm thinking about.
    Is the superior being in the means or the ends?
    The last two men on earth.
    The moral man dies,in a fight.
    The other guy survives,(the bad guy) even though he threw dirt in the good guys eyes and promised he wouldn't.
    Yah, what do you mean by superior????
    Im blabbing.
    Void anything I've said.
    Got to go.

23. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

how do you define superiority?
    how can one species or race or gender be superior to another?
    ecologically speaking, we all have our niches and play a role in the environment
    we are all equal