Women

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by sevenblu, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I think, real superiority can only be proven at the end. Which end? The ultimate end, when everything is dead, or only one organism is left. Only then superiority can be acknowledged (but by whom?).
    Also, it is hard to define superiority, is something superior because it is stronger, faster, more intelligent, heavier? There are so many different aspects in which beings are superior over others, there is no clear outcome.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Okay. But then, in the end -- isn't it completely pointless to see who was superior?!
    That last organism could not reproduce, since it would be the last one. To hell with such superiority.

P.S.
    A joke comes to mind: After a battle, two Mohicans are left, everybody else is dead. Since they want to be true to the proverb of "the last Mohican", they start a fight:

One Mohican: Me last Mohican!
    Other Mohican: No, me last Mohican!
    One Mohican: No, me!!
    Other Mohican: No, me!!
    One Mohican:[takes his tomahawk and slains the other Mohican] Me last Mohican!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Of course it is pointless

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But it was never the issue if it was pointless or not.
    If you ask me, it is the only way.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. water the sea Registered Senior Member

But isn't it amazing, and mind-boggling too, how humans tend to deal with issues like 'superiority' -- issues that they know that discussing them leads to a dead end?!

8. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Mind boggling? No, I think it rather funny.

It´s just like discussing the existance of god or the question which religion is the best.

He who searches too many answer only gets more questions.

9. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Ach, alles für die Katz!

10. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

So könnte man es auch sagen.

11. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

yer wot wot??

12. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

You don´t speak German? Too bad

13. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

i know some real basic words, but i never finished doing a language at school cause i was out. *sadness

)

14. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well, I will translate then:

Rosa said: It´s all for naught.
    I said: You could say that.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You were right the first time, you don't know anything about birds. There is a vast difference between the birds you see flying around your house -- mostly passerines, members of the order of sparrows -- and psittacines. As I said, male and female parrots, especially the larger species which mature more slowly, establish strong bonds and maintain them until the young are fledged and able to leave the nest permanently and feed themselves. This can take a month or two. And many of them do mate for life.

Parrots are not the only kinds of birds who mate for life, either. You need to read up a little more on your ornithology before drawing conclusions from your own limited observatsion.
    You could stand to do a little more research on canines as well. Spend some time with one of the breeds of domestic dogs that has a high incidence of the alpha gene like the Lhasa Apso. Their females are as tough as dragons. If the lead female of the pack happens to be larger or just meaner than the lead male, she's in charge.

16. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Do they mate for life in their natural habitat or an artificial? I had said in my previous post that they stay together for a period of time (pertaining to raising their young) but what happens after their young are old enough to leave their nest?

Ahh but that's never gonna happen. Unfortunetly I have no interest in birds.

Domestic...would she be fit for being leader of a pack having little to no experiance in the wild? Being larger or even meaner doesn't always qualify...

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I just realised something,

The thread starter asked the question with reference to Socrates.

Does any one know what Socrates thoughts were on this issue of male superiority....?

18. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

No clue

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

"If you doubt this you need only consider the mindset of ancient Greece. Socrates maintained that being born a woman is divine punishment, since a woman is halfway between a man and an animal. To be sure, Socrates did say that a woman could serve in the armed forces -- after all, he argued, a female dog is as useful to a shepherd as a male dog.

Aristotle noticed that a swarm of bees is led by one bee in particular; it has to be a king bee, since males are by nature more fit to command than are females. Aristotle maintained that men show their courage by giving orders, while women show their courage by following orders.

In ancient Athens women took no part in public affairs, never appeared with men at meals, never appeared with men on social occasions.

The Greek Stoic philosophers who came after Socrates and Aristotle maintained that women are but a distraction and a temptation.

Things were better in ancient Sparta. In fact at one point Sparta's women owned two-thirds of the nation's land. Things were better too in ancient Egypt. But Sparta and Egypt never did influence the world as Athens did.

In the Roman era (following the Greek era) a woman was permitted to accompany her husband socially but was still regarded as humanly inferior.

In Jewish circles it was little better. While the Hebrew bible depicted many women as heroes (Deborah, Ruth, Rahab) rabbinic teaching (that is, the teaching of the rabbis in contrast to the teaching of scripture) generally devalued women. It was regarded improper for a man to speak to a woman in public, even if she were his wife. If a married woman spoke to a man on the street, said the rabbis, her husband could divorce her on the grounds that her conversation was incipient adultery."

I just pulled this off the first website I found so I make no statement as to it's credibility. It certainly makes some rather stunning opinions......

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

to say that man is superior over woman is a statement of a fragile ego.
    Be-littling another to prop up the self esteem or lack there of, of the speaker

21. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

quack, maybe depending on who says it. but i think it's more about what qualities are valued. in a culture that values greater physical size and strength, brute force, and the ability to take out the garbage (i kid) such as ours, more people will say that men are superior. in a culture that values the earth, agriculture, life, birth, and cycles such as the sequoia, more people will say women (mothers in particular).
    there's no objective answer for which is the superior sex. because well, they are simply sexes of the same species. different. you have to put a cultural spin on it to answer that question.

22. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Ever seen "The Magdalene Sisters"? One of the nuns explains why those women were put away into that prison-like convent:
    Women can be saved if they pray and obey God. To save a man, temptation must be removed.

>> It is ok to hurt a woman, to punish her, regardless whether she is guilty or not. All people must work towards salvation, and men ... well, they need a little help. And the help comes in the form of devaluating women.

Crooked, huh? But true, as well for Christianity (regarding what it did in the past and some things it still does) as for many other cultures, including Old Greece.

23. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

"Complete truth will only come when one rids himself of denial."
    -Quote Votorx