Word of the Day. Post it Here

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Captain Kremmen, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Or advertising for a trendy cafe "Come in for a slurp, and a bibble or even a little nibble" Weg's Cafe

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Lol! Not sure I’d want to hang out at a cafe with bibblers.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seattle likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

The bibble stone streets lacked no luster making the cobble stone sidewalk less desirable as a path to walk. The bibbles shined like jewels. The red, blue, and yellow hues of polished agate were more like a rainbow type bridge than a roadway, although the bibble road didn't lead to Asgard. It ended at a crossroads with no signs. The only words to be read were these:

"I'm Thorry"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

The woman stepped up to the podium, opened her lectern bible book and began to speak that to some in the audience sounded like babble. The mouths of the hacklers were, by no stretch of the imagination relentless, but the lecturer became a bibbler that day.

Nay! She became a bonafide bibbler without a rainbow bibble street to take her to Asgard.

8. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Zaftig

Her zaftig figure allured even the most faithful of men.

Zaftig

9. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Prerequisite

I once thought I knew the definition of the term, then I made effort to verify, only to find my current understanding at that time to be contrary to the definition I found.

I did the same thing today. I made another effort to look it it up to find my original understanding to be accurate.

Prerequisite

Definition: at my first verification it was defined as a perk, at the second verification it was defined as I originally understood the term, as a type of requirement

At this point, the needing to second guess my understanding of terms has me pulling my hair out (figuratively speaking) and has become more than a little aggravating.

Prerequisite:

Accuracy should be a prerequisite for information or it should be for certain areas on the web who provide information to the general public

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  10. geordief Valued Senior Member

"is that"
    Commonly heard and disliked by me ,anyway.

eg "That is the problem they have ,is that....."

Thought it was evidence of senility or functional illiteracy in the US population but the above example was lifted from an Irish sports commentary.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Wheedle

Definition - to flatter or ''sweet talk'' someone, in hopes of getting something in return

The next time you're pulled over by the police for speeding, you might try wheedling your way out of a ticket.

12. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Yeah, she was a wheedler, but not the best I had known. She grew up that way, wheedling her way through life. She apparently picked up new methods along the way. Last time I saw her, she had wheedled herself into a nice cushy job at the court house. She didn't even know how to type.

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I wonder if AI/bots can wheedle? Hmm.

14. geordief Valued Senior Member

15. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Can they even "whead" for real?

16. geordief Valued Senior Member

Widdle for riddle?

17. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

For wheal ...

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Chuffed - feeling happy or very pleased

Came across it in a book I'm reading written by a British author.

It doesn't sound (phonetically) like that would be the definition. lol

19. geordief Valued Senior Member

I wonder if it comes from the look a bird has when ,say it has had a dust bath and its feathers are all "chuffed up"

Edit: you could try introducing the word into a conversation with the meaning you first assumed (annoyed?) and watch the look on the faces of the group.

When challenged or asked for clarification,just say "oh,I thought it meant "annoyed" in the British isles "

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  20. geordief Valued Senior Member

21. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I do seem to remember that rape is not confined to the penis

Seems a little odd but might be connected with the sentence available to be given ie if his action was tried as assault punishment would be less

So law framed to have rape include items other than penis

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

enthusiastic (adj.)

"c. 1600, "pertaining to possession by a deity," from Greek enthousiastikos "inspired," from enthousiazein "be possessed or inspired by a god" (see enthusiasm). Meaning "pertaining to irrational delusion in religion" is from 1690s. The main modern sense, in reference to feelings or persons, "intensely eager, rapturous," is from 1786. Related: Enthusiastically."--- https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=enthusiastic

23. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Technetium: Technetium is the first element to be artificially produced, by bombarding Molybdenum with neutrons in 1937. (Atomic Number 43)