Words that make you vomit when used on Sciforums

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by spuriousmonkey, Feb 17, 2004.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

This not a political thread and it is not a judgement thread. But I am curious about which words make you want to vomit when reading posts on sciforums. It is ok to disagree since we assume that not all words that make some people sick make other people sick. That's ok. It i sjust a measurment about what people stand for here. See it as a personality test.

My favourite vomit inducing word is:

Home Defense
    It pops up often in conjuction with the word
    gun,
    which is also on my favourite list.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Not that these words make me want to vomit, but they are often included in the posts that make me want to vomit...
    existence
    proof
    common sense
    obvious
    truth
    consciousness

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Individual words are generally harmless to me. I have more problems with the ways people string individual words together. I won't get started.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

How can anyone in existence and with a common sence be "hurt" by simple words like gun or home defence. Truth is words has no meaning, its the action behind them that counts.
    This is proof of the obvious differens in the humans sub consciousness.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  8. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Free will
    Cognitive
    sentient
    conscious(ness [agreed OR])
    industrious
    stewardship
    anthropomorphise(or something)
    (the) right
    opposable thumb... errr...
    "moreover"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Heaps more, and like others have said these words aren't inherently bad they are just commonly found in bad posts.
    And whats the problem with home defense spurious? I know you said this all about matters of opinion but thats like such a specific thing, words I hate; al sharpton, no offense al sharpton.
    I don't know what your beef with home defense is??? Are you a cat burglar?
    Where I live now it would be rather ridiculous for me to go on about home defense but i have lived in houses in areas where I was constantly on edge all the time and had trouble sleeping etc and I don't see the problem with having some kind of home defense if you are living like this, it is a necessity if you are to lead a normal life, for some people their life wouldn't be worth living without it.
    Not a gun fan myself, but big nasty security dogs? You bet.
    You might be comfortable where you're living, as of january 2004 I can relate but I couldn't before and I can still understand that home defense can be a very serious need for some people.
    For me it was not a form of overkill, "home defense" has litteraly in real life prevented me from being brutally beaten(or worse) by furious lower class skum on a few occassions, it has even prevented god knows what from happening to my mother on a few occassions. When i was a little kid I saw people visibly aching to come into my yard and physically attack my mother but they were held at the fence by dogs and forced to scream profanities and make death threats. Not for any reason in particular, thats just the kind of people that used to live in the same area as me.
    Surely you understand that all people aren't harmless, and all good people aren't trained ninjas that can effectively defend themselves from gangs of attackers.
    I would argue that when we, as a species, find a permanent shelter it is correct and natural(even instinctual) to have it guarded by a canine or 2. Thats what they're there for.
    (and hunting and sheep herding etc, but we don't do that much anymore, we do however still live in houses and homo-sapiens still are a viscious combative and quarrelsome species, that can be a danger to eachother)

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I have the right to vomit whenever I want Dr Lou. That doesn't mean that there is something wrong with home defense. There might be something wrong with a society in which home defense is high on the priority list. But feel free to discuss that in one of those 'society' subforums.

What's wrong with opposable thumb?

10. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Retort

I hate the word retort. Egh. I just hate it.

11. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Free will is a sign of a cognitive and sentient being, Its every conscious beings rigth to retort any commet they please.

We have reach this industrious age by the use of our opposable thumbs, how the continued stewardship of our future goes no one know, "moreover" who cares anyway when you can have fun now.

anthropomorphise?

12. Anthropomorphize is to ascribe or assign a quality of human charactaristics to things not human

Many words make me cringe and are often words I do not understand. Which is why I keep a dictionary close and handy!

I'd also hafta add 'Retort' to my list. It's just not a cool word to hear. I'm not speaking of the definition of the word either.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

So you did you vomit when you wrote this, or do you derive pleasure from making other people vomit?

14. Bells Staff Member

Individual words rarely make me want to vomit. However, some words when put together in a sentence can make me want to hurt people, due to the racist, homophobic, sexist and generally idiotic nature of the sentence.

However there is one thing when said or read that makes me want to vomit, regardless of the reason used. It's not a word but a name:

George Bush

Just the thought of that man and I can feel the bile rise. Ugh...

15. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

did you vomit from your or my first post?, i admit i was having a little fun, but the game is broken now so i stop

16. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

must resist voices in me head, must resist, Geo... must resist.

17. Bells Staff Member

Oh ok, there is a word that makes me want to vomit and hurt people. Seriously hurt people...

"Ya'll"

I mean honestly! Ya'll is not a word! Even if the person saying 'ya'll' is from some stagnant backwater... IT'S NOT A WORD! Why can't people say 'you are all' or 'you all' etc? Why the 'ya'll'? Makes me want to scream.. aarrrrggghhhhhhh!!!

And Kunax, resist the force

18. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

terrorism, terrorist, fundamentalist when uttered by othdeap.

secularism, theocracy by undecided.

19. ndrs The Anti-Cthulhu Registered Senior Member

God .

20. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I don't have specific words, just topics that make me sick on the stomach. These include:

Judaism, and anything related politically or religiously or historically.
    Terrorism
    September 11 (no not the concept of it, just the process of discussing and saying it)
    Love (includes bf/gf trouble and any girly mush. manly mush is ok.)

21. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

It's not so much particular words, but a few phrases that I can only assume are used in a feeble attempt to cover up shortcomings.

Ad hom - sounds like something you would get at a kosher deli
    appeal to authority - Some members on this forum are accepted authorities in certain fields. Grow up and deal with it.

cognitive surrender - This ranks up there on the dork-o-meter with the guys who wear Spock ears to a Star Trek movie and Civil War re-enactment guy. Which one of you asshats introduced that little nugget in to Sciforums? Speak up. Time to take your punishment.

Wanderer's obsession with scatological terms is a little scary, but I don't want to go there.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I dislike "hate".

23. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I know exactly what it means.
    These are just words people use whilst trying to argue with me and thats why I hate them(the "opposable thumb" thing was more of a joke than anything)

What irritates me about "anthropomorphize" is it is often used by people trying to nullthromorphize(I know thats not a word) animals.
    Meaning make out like they are nothing, I am guilty of anthropomorphising but that is only because I am talking to humans and want them to understand the general idea of what I'm saying.
    Like if I say "the bear was sad" I'll get "ahem you're anthropomoprhizing animals", and it just irritates the fuck out of me, like "fine the bear was 'growl, grrr *negative message from the brain*etc etc".
    I'm not anthropomorphising I'm translating.
    The way some people(and usually these are the people that use the word anthropomorphise) act is like animals are innanimate objects, like humans called "dibs" on all the universal traits and now the other species can't have anything.
    I might as well accuse people of anthropomorphisizing(I think I've spelt that different everytime) humans.
    Like if some says they love something I can pull them up and say "no the stimulai your brain recieves of that thing causes blah blah blah".
    Get fucked people who use the word anthropomorphisizzle, its old, made when man assumed he was created unique by god and all other things were created to be his toys.
    Now we know the pig is our cousin, so when I imply that it is behaving in a way humans have been known to it should be accepted and no one should be shocked or in disbelief that a pig could act this way.
    Fair enough if I say it was brushing its hair and talking on the phone but if its feeling a mammal-emotion that should come as no surprise to anyone.