World decline of IQ to borderline retarded

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by android, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Satyr Banned Banned

If the human IQ averages 82 in a century then most of you will have realized your life-long dreams of finally becoming average and just like everyone else.

Good luck.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blackrain Registered Senior Member

The age of neural implants is well under way. We have brain implants based on "neuromorphic" modeling (i.e., reverse engineering of the human brain and nervous system) for a rapidly growing list of brain regions. A friend of mine who became deaf while an adult can now engage in telephone conversations again because of his cochlear implant, a device which interfaces directly with his auditory cortex. He plans to replace it with a new model with a thousand levels of frequency discrimination, which will enable him to hear music once again. He has had the same melodies playing in his head for the past fifteen years, he laments, and is looking forward to hearing some new tunes. A future generation of cochlear implants now on the drawing board will provide levels of frequency discrimination that go significantly beyond that of "normal" hearing.

Researchers at MIT and Harvard are developing neural implants to replace damaged retinas. There are brain implants for Parkinson's patients that communicate directly with the ventral posterior nucleus and subthalmic nucleus regions of the brain to reverse the most devastating symptoms of this disease. An implant for people with cerebral palsy and multiple sclerosis communicates with the ventral lateral thalamus and has been effective in controlling tremors. "Rather than treat the brain like soup, adding chemicals that enhance or suppress certain neurotransmitters," says Rick Trosch, an American physician helping to pioneer these therapies, "we're now treating it like circuitry."

A variety of techniques are being developed to

http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0449.html?printable=1

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

iq means nothing at all.

i have taken sooo many of them under just about every circumstance that you can imagine. ive been drunk, high on drugs, sober in a laboratory, sober in a classroom setting....ive taken tests since i was 8 years old.

and do you know what i found out? nothing.

my scores have ranged from 110 to 211. thats right...211. i dont even know how that is possible. all it does is show that individual propensities will affect the outcome of the test. it has nothing to do with race, upbringing, education...nothing of the sort.

tests of that nature are just about as unscientific as you can get.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Blackrain,

This is a non-sequitur.
    Technology might increase the racial and class divides.
    You're living in a dream land.

But, back to the point.
    If technology (i.e. neural implants and nanotechnology that raises intelligence) will erase the racial divide, then you're saying that there's something there that is in need of fixing. That racism exists, in part, because some races are dumber than other races.

Can't you see that?

This is a logical fallacy, of course.
    Argument from authority.

This is all speculation. Even on the part of the experts it can only be speculation.
    The field is in its infancy. And any experts are likewise infants in their ability to predict the course of future advancement.

They're like H.G. Wells predicting submarines. He was right, yes?
    Well. He predicted time machines too...

And the list of implants you've provided?
    Yes. Research is being done in all this.
    But the field is crude. Very. Very. Crude.
    In its infancy.

Yes. It has potential to do amazing things.
    Wonderful things.
    It might change humanity in ways which we can't even imagine.

But, we are absolutely unable to predict what is possible and what is impossible.
    It's just too soon for those predictions.

8. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

...and the band played on...

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Another compelling argument by our master logician, Android.

I accept your surrender magnanimously.

-vert

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

This thread is already raging on one of the other forums. Check it out.

It's really difficult for us to measure the IQ of people outside Western civilization. People who can't read, who aren't informed of the things we take for granted like commerce and history, people who have completely different ways of handling social situations and responding to questions.

I can't imagine how we could estimate the IQ accurately of another species!

For one thing, Koko's vocabulary of human language through ASL is only--what, a thousand words? That only puts her around a six on my powers-of-three scale. You need to be up around an eight to be considered even marginally fluent.

Would you be willing to have your IQ measured by somebody who gave you the test in a language you undersand so rudimentarily that you wouldn't be able to hold down a job or attend school in that country?

11. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Without even worrying about the merits of IQ tests, I am 99% sure this is total BS.

The scale has been adapted to modern times in most, if not all tests, and atleast all of the classical tests used in the past. It scores harder now. People would get genius scores if they took 1950s test and only were above average on todays scale.

IQ scores should only be going up. Humans certainly are not devolving in the brain, and now there is higher literacy, nutrition, etc.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Average IQ is always 100 by definition. If you are of average intelligence, you are smarter than half the population. Since the total population is increasing, the number of people below 100 is always increasing, but it's nothing to get worried about.

13. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I read that the tests have been adapted to score HARDER in modern times, and that people going under old tests/scales would score genius if they are average by todays standards.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Average IQ is always 100 by definition. Did someone say that already?

15. D'ster Registered Senior Member

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Yes.

And then I said it is only standardized to a new average every few years or so. Hence the average can appear to go down.

Anyhoo, IQ doesn't measure intelligence. It is a tool to track people who need extra help in school.

Conclusion:
    It seems we should be spending more on education.

17. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

especially americans.

18. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Especially geography...

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's all cultural, though. Brain capacity and structure hasn't changed for hundreds of thousands of years. If Earth's population is continually expanding, you could expect fewer resources available for education.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

inflow of low-IQ peoples

No such thing as low-IQ peoples. It is reprehensible that pseudo-science is still being used to support certain political ideologies. People are culturally different, but science reveals that brain capacity and structure have not changed significantly for a long, long, long, time.

That whole website is full of racist bullshit.

21. Blackrain Registered Senior Member

I respectfully disagree. Information Technology is bridging the gap between the classes. Because the underprivilaged now have access to more information then in any other time in History. The percantage of Degree's per capita(In all Racial groups) is increasing each and every year. Thanks to Technology. Life expectancy is increasing each and every year, in all ecomonic classes. Thanks to Technology. But until you provide examples to back your point, I can't agree with your assesment.

What i'm implying is Technology will "remove the crutch" that racists use subjugate other races. I find it funny how Eurocentrists use IQ tests as a quantifier, to prove that they're "superior" to Blacks. All while, their same tests illustrate that Asians are "superior" to Whites. There's more differences within ones race, then between the races themselves. But I don't use "IQ" tests to judge who's smarter then who. Every normal & healthy human being can do anything he or she puts his mind to. Race is not the determining factor. And history has proved the Eurocentrists wrong on this point time and time again.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

No!!
    The dreaded term!
    "Singularity."

You've fallen victim to media hype, my friend.

I'm NOT pessimistic about the possibilities of the near future.
    Simply realistic.

We have a LONG way to go. The field is in its infancy. I can't stress this enough...
    Getting tired of repeating it, frankly.

Anyway.
    Short on time here.
    Will come back later with more.

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

In the words of Red Foreman:
    "They promised us robots, Kitty!"