World of Warcraft Movie Slated for 2015

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Tiassa, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Duncan Jones Signed to Direct Untitled Warcraft Film

In theory, it seems like a good investment. With millions of players around the world and strong brand recognition, Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft video game is a powerhouse. The idea of a $100m film seems a no-brainer.

Slated for release in 2015, the film will be directed by Duncan Jones, whose first film, Moon, achieved critical success with a five million dollar budget, grossing a little under ten million dollars at cinemas. Jones went on to prove his value with Source Code, which garnered critical praise despite a stupid plot and Jake Gyllenhall in the lead role; the $32m film grossed over $147m worldwide.

Emma Brant explains, for BBC:

A statement on the Warcraft Facebook page said: "We are pleased to announce that Duncan Jones, director of critically-acclaimed films Source Code and Moon, has signed to direct the upcoming live-action film based on the Warcraft universe."

The director, who was born in Bromley, south London, also confirmed his involvement on Twitter.

"So the gauntlet was thrown down ages ago," he said. "Can you make a proper movie of a video game?

"I've always said it's possible. Got to do it now."

Warcraft has a script by Blood Diamond writer Charles Leavitt, but plot details are being kept secret.

The choice of Leavitt to write the script also seems a safe bet, with titles including Glory and The Last Samurai also bearing his name.

The ultimate question, of course, is, "Will you watch it?"

And by watching it, I mean actually handing over money for cinema tickets, instead of waiting for it to come around on your television package or favorite torrenting outfits.

I don't play the game, so I'll probably only see the film when it comes to cable and doesn't cost anything extra beyond the cable bill.

But it seems to me that spending a hundred million to make a film from this video game is probably a safe bet. And, besides, it can't possibly be as bad as Mortal Kombat, Mario Bros., or Max Payne.

Notes:

Brant, Emma. "Duncan Jones from Source Code to direct Warcraft film". NewsBeat. January 31, 2013. BBC.co.uk. January 31, 2013. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/21282371

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I'll be first in line and likely in costume as well. It is by far a game you could genuinely live in fully immersed if you were elderly or disabled.

NOTE: World of Warcraft is completely free to download and play a character up to lvl 20. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

I made it a New Years resolution to experience this game and was not disappointed.

You do not need to be a social person to play this game, although it is hard not to develop close friends all over the world. If you like you can simply wander the land or cross oceans being wary to venture off the road in high level zones. There are achievements that include killing the variety of insects that are all over, or you can kiss all the bunnies and squirrels and penguins,etc for another achievement. There is no correct way to play the game.

Why a movie would be funny to me.

IF: If you choose to enter dungeons (1-5 people/characters) or raids (1-25 people/characters) they work in this fashion.

This is a typical dungeon team.

TANK: This is slang for a heavily armored character whose job it is to try to keep the attention of the Monsters/Dragons/Etc. If the Tank is good, then nobody else in the party will be attacked.

HEALER: A Healer class (Druid, Priest, Paladin, etc.) will follow the tank around and mostly heal the tank. Sometimes other members in the group will need heals. The better the group the less they need a good healer, and vice versa.

DPS: The remainder of the group simply are Damage Per Second. Warlocks, Hunters, Mages, etc. They try not to pull the attention of the Monsters off the TANK while Killing it.

Now this is how that situation could be funny.

Imagine a Monty Python type crew of Elves, Druids, Humans, Gnomes, Dwarves, Pandas, etc (That's just alliance classes). Okay you can only have 5 in your group so pick a few.

The TANK is meant to keep the attention of the Monster. That could be funny if it is done right. The dialogue could be the tank calling the Dragon a Yellow Bellied Heap of Orc Dung, or some such things. I mean how do you stop a dragon from fighting the rest of the group (assuming the Dragon understands English).

You could play Warcraft for 10 years and never be able to see all of the graphics involved. Your character would need to walk around for the first 20 levels (or run when being attacked), but soon your character grows and you can build a variety of critters to ride upon. Very high levels 60+ can earn flying mounts and soar above you. Low levels can fly, but they need to find Gryphon Masters who basically are airports.

Want to try a low level Gryphon ride? Click here...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm2cFtFVROw

I have a character who has a rare flying horse, and another character (mage) that can turn itself into a dragon and let a low level get on my back while I fly you wherever we decide to go.
    This is what that ability looks like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPvfiUk_G0c

If you want to see a typical Dungeon walkthrough click here...

to see various scenery look here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gEXpmqeu0o

There are professions like mining, Jewelcrafting, Leatherworking, Blacksmith, etc., but gathering professions are pure profit and less hassle for leveling. Those are Mining, Skinning, and Herbalism.

This game can be over consuming, and I think better suited for people retirement aged than children. I started an all adult guild with over 1000 members at one time, and it is still in existence being run by a 62 year old woman. She still teaches IT, and Helicopter trainees as she was Air Force.

II see old folks sitting in chairs staring at the walls totally OBLIVIOUS to the fact that an interactive 3D world could be at their fingertips where they could be a Young, Agile Gnome named Berrywinkle. They could team up with their friends in Florida and Australia at the same time or even turn themselves into a dragon and let their grandkids ride on their back if their level and awards are high enough.

Warcraft may not have the best graphics or action, but it is a vibrant world filled with people wherever you wander. The power has been balanced through the years and it is very "lag free" if your computer is not up to snuff, but you should still have a graphics card at least.

There are thousands of Warcraft videos on Youtube.

It is insane.

If you know someone elderly, bored, handicapped, or just someone who likes online socializing, recommend this to them. There are some characters who never level but just go in to chat to people.

Gaming is not for all, but I will be at the Warcraft movie on Opening night in full costume. Sounds like a fun night out for me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I have serious doubts about this

Just because you have a huge number of players doesn't guarantee success, look at the D&D movies which should have done so well as they not only have a huge number of supporters but also books as well as just the games

Secondly of all the games you could pick is WOW REALLY the one you would chose to turn into a narrative which a movie needs?

I do think games COULD make good movies (though the stories are much longer than the 2 hours a movie is) but of all of them WOW is a bad choice. Actually if anything Diablo would probably be a better choice as the story line is self contained

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Wow (World Of Warcraft), has Millions of players who have lived high Drama/High Action quests, many of which would be good movies. Any high level raid could be made into a movie. I think it has already been decided to make the movie if only for the automatic 20 million plus views.

8. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Is this going to be another spin of the Final Fantasy VII Advent Children movie? I mean having a story and passion in a film is what people want. WOW is great but when it comes to storyline, its lacking and so are its characters are not fully polished.

9. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ your eyes,

THIS GAME IS FREE TO DOWNLOAD AND PLAY UP UNTIL LEVEL 2O. IT IS UNLIKE ANY OTHER GAME.

Unsure if you are thinking of the original RPG's. I think a movie would involve the 13 million player online world where everyone is paying to be characters. This game has had 4 expansions packs necessary to play to the highest levels. To get to the highest levels would require at least 300 hours of online play. I played Final Fantasy 7, and can honestly say that Final Fantasy 7 is only 5% as good as Wow (if that). There really is no comparison.

I have a lvl 85 Mage (Aggroo), Rogue (Bonker), and a level 80 Druid (Thonky). I have no lvl 90 characters because I have not returned since the expansion. Someday I will return, but am too busy atm.

Here is the Guild I started.
    http://clanoftheelders.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=1260840&gid=175798

It is now run by a 62 year old lady. It is Lvl 25 guild which is the highest rank. Memberships require online applications and some guilds have very high prerequisites to join. This was more of a fun leveling guild though, but has advanced some since I have left.

I think this movie will be for Warcraft fans and their husbands/wives. I think non players will miss out on the humor.

True Story: When people start out wanting flying mounts there are some options, and depending on the mount some are tougher than others. One of the harder mounts to get is called "The Time-Lost Proto Drake".

To Catch the Time Lost Proto Drake you must hunt it competing with other players who also want it. It may spawn every two days, or only once in a week from 4 known spawn points. It shares a spawn Timer with another giant dragon called Villagrosa.

If you can find this rare dragon flying in Norhrend and can kill it, you receive the Time-Lost Proto Drake as a mount. Here it is...

It took me 3 years of occasional hunting to find and kill this guy. Here is a successful hunt.

[video=youtube;SRbOssnGZ9s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRbOssnGZ9s[/video]

That is one of Thousands of little side quests in the game. Then .... you can ride that anywhere.

IN WOW: IF YOUR CHARACTER DIES. YOUR GHOST IS TRANSPORTED TO THE NEAREST CEMETERY AND YOU MUST SEARCH THE LAND FOR YOUR BODY TO REVIVE YOURSELF. This is not always easy as whatever killed you may still be lurking. YOU CAN BE REVIVED AT THE CEMETERY but you will suffer heavy equipment damage and poor health for 10 minutes. Then you will need to seek out someone who can make repairs to your armor like a blacksmith.

This is what a raid leader often sounds like... (warning offensive swearing)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtvIYRrgZ04
    (hilarious if you've done the fight.)

Here is how Tankspot kills the same dragon, if you want to see above fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW9I3usa-u0

It is amazing to hop on your dragons and fly off to kill a raid boss with 10-25 people.

Imagine an assortment of 25 people listening to one person calling directions.

Characters need high tech math. After reaching high levels you must look at Elitest Jerks and other mathematician type websites that calculate what is your best options for speccing your character and what is best gear. If your character does not spend a few days learning best rotations and speccs, then don't bother raiding. You will be laughed out.

When 25 people are attempting a kill for gear rewards, they are very intolerant of weaklings.

My characters all have squire ponies. Little squires who follow us around on their ponies. They are very rare.

In Wow You can fish up a really slow Turtle mount, but it's fast in the water.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba39eWsID1g
    That's a warlock only mount (fiery legs) user staring at it.

or the raid can play chess in a haunted mansion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4sWDR8acyg

To call this simply a game is an understatement. Some people seem to live in this world.

This game is entirely FREE TO DOWNLOAD AND PLAY UP TO LVL 20. IT IS WORTH AT LEAST EXPERIENCING. Go on. Be a rugged dwarf, or a wicked Goblin, or a kung fu panda, or a druid (druids can fight and play in various animal forms), hunters can tame monsters to be their pets in battle. So So So much.

If you have a lvl 55 + character you can create something called a Death Knight which starts at lvl 55.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. Bells Staff Member

I would be more interested in seeing how they portray male belf's with their nippleless chests on the big screen.

WoW is a great way to pass away the time, but the storyline is now driven by player needs and what they want out of the game. The lore went out the window a long time ago.

Anyway, we all know the best and funniest thing to come out of WoW (aside from the Ony video) is this: http://www.bitnexus.net/RP/viewtopic.php.htm

In all seriousness, everyone is dubious about this movie. It's bad enough they have WoW megablocks sets now. Yes, really..

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

And with no bat-nipples to ridicule ....

I think between the CGI progress since the D&D craze, glorification of (I don't know a better term than this) "geek cults", the lack of any real creativity out of Hollywood, and a number of other affecting factors, this one is a safe bet. The Doom film came too late, I think, to capitalize on its potential popularity. Of course, the script and cast were somewhat flaccid, too. The Max Payne film had nothing like the WoW audience to draw, was terribly written, could not be salvaged by a high profile cast (Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis, Beau Bridges, Ludacris, and Chris O'Donnell), and still managed $85.76m domestic box office on a $35m budget.

WoW, though, is unlike anything I've ever seen in gaming, and, as previously noted, I don't play the game. Just the fan base, as KWH more generously noted, improves the film's odds for success tremendously.

Honestly? I think it will be visually spectacular. Despite the best efforts of writer Leavitt and director Jones, I don't expect much beyond the eye candy. But I still think we're looking at $300m box office worldwide. At least. A half-billion isn't beyond possibility.

And the film will spawn a whole new merchandising wing, as well as a new gaming mod. As video games made into movies go, this is one of the safest bets ever.

And, hey, I actually do like the animated .hack//Sign project. We should not be surprised if a WoW television series emerges in the wake of all this. It could be .hack//Sign reguritated, except the game's fan base almost ensures greater success.

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I wish I had time to play WoW. Maybe in the future I'll play an on-line game.

Oh, I have all of the .hack somewhere, I think maybe I watched one episode?

13. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ Tiassa,

A series on Youtube based on WOW did become quite popular. The girl (Felicia Day) in it is a pretty major star according to IMDB, and has played on episodes of MONK, and SUPERNATURAL and various movies and series.

It is called the guild, and is hilarious if you play.

Here is the first episode,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grCTXGW3sxQ

The episodes are all less than ten minutes long.

They said it is based on WOW but had to make a few changes for legal reasons. It sounds like how people speak to each other on wow.

WOW has typed communication as the main, but when people raid or just want to they get headphones and communicate with voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8oH0C4dySQ
    This episode is funny because of kids, etc. They all are funny.

14. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

This could be very good but plenty of opportunities to screw up. I've been playing wow for a few years and I guess there are endless scenarios that could be turned into a movie, but nothing really comes to mind as anything obvious. There is certainly far too much game content to include everything in a single movie and I'd hate to see an endless series of sequels like the Resident Evil franchise - hmm, well perhaps not - each expansion could be turned into a movie, and even each expansion has numerous seemingly disconnected subplots. I guess Resident Evil is largely the same thing for each movie, but a series of wow movies could be all quite different.

I will remain very curious to see what they make, but I don't find myself particularly excited about this. The fun for me is playing the game and I rarely pay attention to the story-line anyway.