Worlds Most Dangerous Animals?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by ScaryMonster, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Isn't there a Discovery program about that?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I don't know...I don't have cable..I'm too much of a cheap bastard.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Anyway, Australia does seem to have their fair share of poisonous animals

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

8. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

Conus Geographus is probably the most toxic venom we know of. It's hard to say when you get to venom of this potency though, the Box/Fire jellyfish is up there, the Irukandji is up there(people die and do not even notice they were stung, the amount of venom required to kill is infinitesimal in this one).

Here is the Irukandji:

As far as 'most dangerous'? The Irukandji must be at the top or near the top. You can't see them in water, they were thought to be a myth for a long time, you can't tell you've been envenomated, and you die mysteriously. That's pretty dangerous stuff.

The work on snake toxicity is not complete. The study that most people cite: A.J. Broad, S.K. Sutherland, and A. R. Couleter (Toxicon, 1979), which lists in the Inland Taipan(Fierce Snake) as the most toxic is decades old. They neglected quite a few seriously venomous snakes in that study including several seas snakes, coral snakes, etc.

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

HA! HA! You almost had me....:spank:

I was reading the blurb and thought, Really? sounds a bit over the top since I have never heard of these bears lol. Breaking windows and extruding the WOULD-be Meals..lol

Then I just saw the other thread: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=96687

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

They are Koala's and they're pretty sluggish

Koala

Edit: Two vagina's?

11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I knew it was a Koala bear when I saw the picture. Then I thought maybe this is some other kind of bear from the same family. Since I am not in Australia who the hell knows. But reading their blurb I thought ohhhh come on!

I admit it though...Almost got me lol

2 Vagina's? Threesome anyone?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol Americans.. :wallbang:

They also have two separate uteri, so they can get impregnated by two different males at around the same time. Or, at least, it seems reasonable to assume that.

13. raggamax Banned Banned

The most toxic snake of the world(both land and sea) is called Hydrophis belcheri(a type of sea snake). Heard it was 100 times more venomous than inland taipan.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

which has killed more people?
    Mosquitoes calling malaria, or fleas carrying bubonic plague?

15. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

Considering the Black Death and considering the work of the Japanese in China in WW2, that would have to be the fleas. That engineered plague that the Japs dropped on the Chinese with 'flea bombs' still kills thousands every year in China to this day.

16. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

The most toxic substance created by the animal kingdom, yes. The toxin that causes botulism is the most powerful toxin known, iirc.

Have you read the wiki article on Irukandji syndrome? There have been only two confirmed deaths, and it is extremely painful. Two Australian filmmakers volunteered to be stung and filmed the aftermath for a documentary.

I also find the claim that funnel-web spiders can jump up to 2 meters a little dubious, considering they are fairly heavy-bodied spiders and their mode of hunting is ambush.

17. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

You're thinking of the female Funnel web, the males (Which are the most toxic) are lean and muscular in mating season they go walk-about looking to mate that’s when they are most dangerous, they wander into houses, crawl into shoes and fall into swimming pools.
    They can look dead or like plastic toy spiders and people pick them up out of the bottom of the pool, they can survive for many days underwater using the air bubbles in their hair fibers.
    As for the claim that they can jump 2 meters! Well I only said that to freak Shawty out.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  18. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

"The toxicity of this species' venom have many times been called into question, with some herpetologists and snake enthusiasts naming either the beaked sea snake (Enhydrina schistosa) or the Inland Taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus) as having the most toxic venom." From Wiki

Its all much of a much-ness, in Australia Brown Snakes and Tiger Snakes have killed many more people because they are much more aggressive, in a cemetery that has lots relatives of mine from the 19th century there are many graves of small children who were killed by Tiger snakes.
    I would think however that as for the most dangerous snake in the world I’d have to say it is the Black Mamba.
    The black mamba is reputed to be the fastest moving snake in the world, and has been claimed to move at up to 19.5 km/h (12 mph)

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Thanks....

20. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Hmmm. I chased a snake before and it jumped 2 meters over a bush. Not 2 meters high, about 2 long and 1 high.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Really?

What were you doing chasing a snake and why was it 'running'? Also, what kind of snake was it?

22. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I was in the Amazon with a shaman/snake biologist when in a nectarino field he just took off running and I followed, and we chased this snake for a good 10 seconds before it jumped and got away. The chase was for a catch. It was non-venomous of course.

edit:

I also saw a howler monkey swim with a broken arm but no one believes that either.

23. raggamax Banned Banned

From what I've heard few drops mg of inland taipan's venom is enough to kill 100 people and the same amount of venom from belcheri is enough to kill 1000 people. Seems that belcheri is more venomous to humans than taipan.
    From what I read they are both very shy and docile and rarely bite humans. Even if belcheri bites you it does not inject venom. But if it does I think its pretty safe to assume that person in question is history.In fact no death by belcheri have been recorded so far. I also heard that Hydrophis Belcheri also holds a Guiness book world record for being the most venomous snake.

And you're correct when you said that black mamba is one of the most dangerous snakes. Even if it is not the most venomous it is still one of the most aggressive snakes around capable of striking and running very swiftly. Very difficult to escape if you're standing close by.