World's Politics or USA Politics?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by kira, Oct 19, 2009.

?

Which is it?

1. Yes, majority of sciforums members are Americans, but they are not self absorbed

11.8%
  2. Yes, majority of sciforums members are Americans, and yes they are self absorbed

64.7%
  3. No, majority of sciforums members are not Americans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Just want to vote

23.5%
  1. draqon Banned Banned

USA is powerful nation but is not the only one.

Russia has the second largest army, controls a majority of Central Asian states, has support of many oil resource countries including in South America, has the largest world area and an immense control over its territory, its huge resources and technological robust warfare sum it to be a superpower.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

Stop playing dumb. I never implied that the USA was the only "powerful nation". In fact, I think it's one of many. It is, however, the ONLY superpower as the definition holds.

By your definition, China is a superpower. It spends more than Russia, it has greater technical and human resources. But, again, its ability to project itself GLOBALLY is limited.

Draq, the definition of a superpower is that it's GLOBAL not REGIONAL.

~String

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kira Valued Senior Member

FEEDBACK

I wanted to start a thread in Site Feedback related to this topic, but this is already in Site Feedback, so I think I can continue in this thread. But I put that red fonts above so that youpeople will notice it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Just an idea, what if the WORLD subforum which consists of World Events, Politics, Business & Economics, and History are rearranged into:

• Global affairs (world events, history, business & economics)
    • Americas (USA, Canada, Latin America, and others)
    • Middle East
    • Asia (China, India, Japan, Indonesia, and others)
    • Russia
    • Europe
    • Africa
    • Australia, New Zealand, and other Oceania
    • Other

So that local country affairs go to relevant regions and that we have more threads about other part of the world, too? Of course people from any background should be free to post in any regions they are interested in, not necessarily their own region. Maybe the list above isn't the right division of world regions but you can give feedback here in this thread.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

kira, than instead of all those topics being posted in word subforum, they will be posted in USA...cant change the environment, gotta change the people.

Just like my daddy from Nicaragua used to say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

8. kira Valued Senior Member

To encourage more diverse topics, I suggest that 1 or 2 moderators are appointed for each subforums (depending on the load of the subforums); and that the moderators should come from the relevant regions, so that at least there will be someone who can started topics about each regions and know about that regions, too. For example (just an example!), the moderators can be:

* Global affairs (world events, history, business & economics): Hypewaders, Superstring, Madanthonywayne
    * Americas (USA, Canada, Latin America, and others): Hypewaders, Superstring, Madanthonywayne
    * Middle East: somebody who is familiar with this region affairs
    * Asia (China, India, Japan, Indonesia, and others): S.A.M.
    * Russia: draqon
    * Europe: Dywyddyr
    * Africa: somebody who is familiar with this region affairs
    * Australia, New Zealand, and other Oceania: Asguard
    * Other

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

:roflmao:
    Draq has spent more time in the USA than he ever did in Russia.
    He's clueless on the realities of Russia (as witness his comments to Superstring in this thread).

10. draqon Banned Banned

Yes I would adore such an arrangement, I would be the sole moderator of the Russian Federation subsection of the World subforum.

But I would suggest news relating to: Russian & Central Asia

11. draqon Banned Banned

I have spent exactly half of my life (11 years) in Russia

and

I have been exiled in USA exactly for second half of my life so far (11 years)

12. kira Valued Senior Member

It was just an example, and the only Russian I know here is draqon. Maybe he can start posting interesting things about Russia in the relevant subforum, why not??

Also, who said that mods have to know about everything

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Agreed on that but mods should at least attempt to be unbiased on a topic: Draq is incapable of that on the subject of Russia. He sees everything to do with Russia through rose-tinted glasses.
    No criticism (or genuine not nice facts) would be allowed.

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I thought you left at age 7?

Exiled?
    The government threw you out?

Or would the word "exiled" be a slight exaggeration for pathos purposes?

15. kira Valued Senior Member

To balance it, we can as well have draqon AND pjdude to be moderators of that regions. Come on, at least we don't have to hear about Obama all teh time

16. kira Valued Senior Member

And you would be great mod of Europe subforum, Dywyddyr! I am positive!

17. kira Valued Senior Member

Also, we gotta remove that "Today's posts" button, so that we can actually browse from outside to inside, not from top to bottom, this way we can have horizontal view

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Europe?
    I'm English for crying out loud.
    Europe is foreign!

And to be honest I gave up all interest in politics after serving a stint a (local) press officer for one of the political parties here in the UK.

19. kira Valued Senior Member

I have added your name to post #45!

At least you live there, so you must know about the region more than other people (by interest or not

). It doesn't have to be about politics (maybe can update some headlines info), it can as well be about anything of the region. Tax increase, recession, some leaders, tourism, transport system, health care, etc. It doesn't have to be USA health care all the time :| Is there nobody interested in health care in Asia? Education in Finland? etc etc

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  20. superstring01 Moderator

You've cornered him. Now notice how quickly he runs from the debate, or changes the subject.

~String

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

That's wasn't during Smiley's campaign stint was it? (Would include link to explain who the hell I'm talking about, but my memories hazey, lets just say he was apart of an attempt to get into power to reform certain laws involving the be-dreaded weed that all too many people smoke)

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I'm not even sure who Smiley is?
    Unless you mean "Mr Insincere Smile", Bliar himself?

Nope, I "served my time" in the late 70s.
    Maggie, state secrets, nuclear weapons, murdered left-wing-conspiracy-theory-journalists and all: that was what I had to deal with.

23. kira Valued Senior Member

Yes, who is Smiley??